Signed white JP70D?

• Thread starter progman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

progman

Reaction score
I actually don't like doing covers so much. I suck at it actually. I am fairly pleased with my writing abilities- and you can tell who my influences are but I don't think I could do a cover band type thing xD

I think it's a good thing that I can get into JP's playing- co-guitarist in my last band was a huge fan of Born of Osiris and that type of ultra-heavy stuff... The issue with that is that people who tell me they're influenced by that never seem to notice that there are actual harmony-melody things going on in the really good bands of that genre. They just lock into 7/8 and start djenting and it's bloody annoying....

I remember nearly losing my head when we wrote a totally killer song and the drummer insisted we add about 3 breakdown sections ><

I tryyyyy to emulate Tosin Abasi- I do it very poorly but... xD

I'm glad my first JP experience was with a good guitar- I played one at a guitar shop the other day.... I think the strings were made of sandpaper >< I hate it how some stores will treat those guitars....

I like James cause he's unique sounding. I didn't love him at first- and most of my life I've preferred female vocals (I would shoot my cat to see Tarja sing with DT ><) but he has some pretty good moments. Like in Illumination theory I thought that he did really well.

But I am tolerant of most non-scream vocal styles. The growling and screaming just... I won't even listen to a whole song at this point. It gets really obnoxious.

I don't mind it so much in Trivium because Heafy has an excellent clean sound and they mix it up and use it musically. But that's one of the reasons I cannot listen to Born of Osiris or Within the Ruins (I think that's what they're called) or any number of these "prog" metal bands. (DJENTBANDS><)

I've only heard Disperse from that list. I pretty much shit my pants when Zytecki did that weird sweepy thing at the beginning of Enigma of Abode- that was freaking cool.
I'll have to check out the others! Thanksz!

I am in pretty much the same boat regarding singers However, I can't listen to power singers. I grew up (as in teens) in the 90's. Listening to hardcore and then riding the wave of metalcore. After listening to metal core since its inception, I can't take the singing. All the bands sound the same, same with deathcore. I saw Born of Osiris on their first tour. I look for stuff I think it different.

If you like lighter proggy stuff, definitely check out...

Dead Letter Circus, Tesseract, Karinvool

Somewhere in the middle...

Last Chance to Reason (level 3)

Heavier (some screaming though)

Means End
The Safety Fire

Instrumental...

Gru
Cloudkicker
Polyphia
Modern Day Bablyon (very djenty)

This is basically what I am listening to now plus stuff you mentioned like Tosin, and Disperse.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
I am in pretty much the same boat regarding singers However, I can't listen to power singers. I grew up (as in teens) in the 90's. Listening to hardcore and then riding the wave of metalcore. After listening to metal core since its inception, I can't take the singing. All the bands sound the same, same with deathcore. I saw Born of Osiris on their first tour. I look for stuff I think it different.

If you like lighter proggy stuff, definitely check out...

Dead Letter Circus, Tesseract, Karinvool

Somewhere in the middle...

Last Chance to Reason (level 3)

Heavier (some screaming though)

Means End
The Safety Fire

Instrumental...

Gru
Cloudkicker
Polyphia
Modern Day Bablyon (very djenty)

This is basically what I am listening to now plus stuff you mentioned like Tosin, and Disperse.

Thanks man I'll definitely check those out!

Polyphia is actually here where I live in TX. I took lessons from Scott LePage- really cool guy xD

But now I have a list of stuff I gotta listen to- I appreciate it!

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Just realized we forgot to mention Symphony X :eek:

Dat's some prog noise right thur !

progman

Reaction score
Thanks man I'll definitely check those out!

Polyphia is actually here where I live in TX. I took lessons from Scott LePage- really cool guy xD

But now I have a list of stuff I gotta listen to- I appreciate it!

I really like the tone, style, and phrasing of the their playing. Actually, I am trying somewhat to emulate the sound of bands like Polyphia, Intervals, or Disperse. I know all three bands use EBMM's and the axe fx 2. Back to my original post, how far off would my sound be with the SMM and the CL/LF combo combined with the Pod HD500x (kinda like a poor man's version of their stuff). Could I attain a somewhat similar quality tone?

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
I really like the tone, style, and phrasing of the their playing. Actually, I am trying somewhat to emulate the sound of bands like Polyphia, Intervals, or Disperse. I know all three bands use EBMM's and the axe fx 2. Back to my original post, how far off would my sound be with the SMM and the CL/LF combo combined with the Pod HD500x (kinda like a poor man's version of their stuff). Could I attain a somewhat similar quality tone?

Yeah

Polyphia just got EBMM a few months ago. All of their recorded stuff was done on Tim's Ibanez Premium 6 string and Scott's Jackson Dinky. Tim actually sold his old Ibanez locally when they got the endorsement- it was on craigslist xD

They were using POD stuff until they got an axe FX- they got an AXE FX during the summer :)

I know this because when he came to my house in like... april he was telling me how they were saving for it- n' I spoke to him to congratulate him when they finally got the Axe 2.

Jakub Zytecki records alot with an Ibanez RGD also- so you know a lot of the things we love from him and from Polyphia aren't due to the EBMM.

You'll get plenty of tone from that sterling and a POD- and you won't be disappointed if your mark for "good" = Polyphia - ish sound.

progman

Reaction score
Yeah

Polyphia just got EBMM a few months ago. All of their recorded stuff was done on Tim's Ibanez Premium 6 string and Scott's Jackson Dinky. Tim actually sold his old Ibanez locally when they got the endorsement- it was on craigslist xD

They were using POD stuff until they got an axe FX- they got an AXE FX during the summer :)

I know this because when he came to my house in like... april he was telling me how they were saving for it- n' I spoke to him to congratulate him when they finally got the Axe 2.

Jakub Zytecki records alot with an Ibanez RGD also- so you know a lot of the things we love from him and from Polyphia aren't due to the EBMM.

You'll get plenty of tone from that sterling and a POD- and you won't be disappointed if your mark for "good" = Polyphia - ish sound.

Good. Thanks man. I know many think Polyphia's sound is too "processed", but I really like it. That Jackson guitar he has sounds pretty good. They have a new video on youtube with both guys using the EBMMs, great song. I am really getting into Rick Graham too, great player.

progman

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in buying one of these, from what I understand, they are only making 60 of them. Which is pretty cool because my hand signed one will be one of only a few. So, I would call one of Sterling's elite dealers soon if you want one.

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in buying one of these, from what I understand, they are only making 60 of them. Which is pretty cool because my hand signed one will be one of only a few. So, I would call one of Sterling's elite dealers soon if you want one.

Yes - we are only making 60, and the first 12 are autographed by John.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Bummer - I've called ALL of my possible sources here in Hawai'i and they said they've all sold. Good for Sterling, bad for me lol. Really wanted a signed one. Was willing to part with a pretty penny for it too.

Hey Sterling - any chance you could have JP sign the Majesty 7 that's coming to me? Dan's Guitars in Honolulu ordered it for me. I'd love you very long time if you could :) - C'mon Big Poppa; I know you can do it :hbang:

progman

Reaction score
You have to purchase through their elite dealers. Go onto the Sterling Website and find one near you. GC isn't an elite dealer.

progman

Reaction score
I have been kinda busy, but I got my 70d a little over a week ago. I can confirm that the 70d definitely sounds noticeably better with the CL/LF pups. Much tighter sound and works well with the hd500x. This is a great guitar in the 800$ price range. It was set up nicely by the place I bought the guitar from. My only complaint is that the trem feels "tight". I made the mistake of thinking the JP signature (on the back) wouldn't wear while playing. The other day I noticed some of it rubbed off.:ugh