Skeletone "Jazz tapper"

• Thread starter skeletone_craig
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeletone_craig

I build Tappers!
Reaction score
Hi guys.Here are a few photo's of a tapper i just built for a guy in Australia.It's Has seperate outputs and volume and tone for each pic-up and is tuned BEADGC(Bass side) EADGBE(Inverted,Harmony side)...

Jazz050.jpg

Jazz016.jpg

Jazz046.jpg

Jazz026.jpg

craigprice1975@googlemail.com

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Looks like the principles of a variety of different creative intruments all mashed up. Did you get the idea to use round metal rods for the frets from the Gittler? I expect this can sound really pretty with those Tele neck pickups.

Mike_D

Reaction score
I like it. Looks like some clean work. I'd love to hear how it sounds

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
The OP is building a version of the TapLadder with the inventor's permission.

The goal of the TapLadder project was to build a tapstyle/touchstyle instrument with only a drill press which was functional and which had action of the height of a dime at the 12th fret. It turned out amazingly well.

"Tapladder" is RJay's registered trademark, so these are sold as the Skeletone brand.

History of the Tapladder

Pretty neat tapper, and since I'm not mechanically inclined at all, I'm likely going to get a Skeletone made at some point.

skeletone_craig

I build Tappers!
Reaction score
Thanks so much Explorer! I will link these on my facebook page as well! Great to see these videos again! They are what inspired me to ask permission to use the design.I still really love how rough and ready the original Tapladders are! Fantastic instrument!

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey,Im also gonna do a build thread so folks can see exactly how i make these instruments....

Yes, please do! One of these has been on my list of things to do when I get a drill press for years now.

Ray

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks.

What's the size difference between the "nut" rod and the "fret" rods?

It looks like all the cross-rods are drilled so that the back-sides would be flush. Is that correct?

Ray

Levi79

Reaction score
This is so sweet. It would be a mindfuck to play though :lol:

skeletone_craig

I build Tappers!
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks.

What's the size difference between the "nut" rod and the "fret" rods?

It looks like all the cross-rods are drilled so that the back-sides would be flush. Is that correct?

Ray

The nut is half a millimeter higher than the cross frets.it has a nice low action throughout.Im not sure what you mean by the back-sides? Sorry fella.
Thanks for your interest tho!

skeletone_craig

I build Tappers!
Reaction score
This is so sweet. It would be a mindfuck to play though :lol:

Actually it's fairly easy to play but you do have to put a bit of time into it.Unfortunatly i spend my time building them and not playing them so im not a great player...One day tho!

skeletone_craig

I build Tappers!
Reaction score
Hi folks.I haven't been on for a while,just been busy making a few instruments and working.I now have a nice Skeletone video/ tutorial/demo/Walkthrough on youtube.It's shows you a few basic techs and also a little about tunings and a nice wee instrument description.
It was done by a guy called Les who bought an instrument from me and was kind enough to offer to do a few videos for me.If you get a spare moment please check it out.Les is also a great guitarist and multi-instrumentalist and has a fair few interesting video on there.
Thanks guys...

LINK BELOW...

Adventures in tapping on the Skeletone Tapper - Video 1 - YouTube