Slipknot split with Jay Weinberg

• Thread starter Riverview
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
Shit, there’s another ‘kid’ who actually has the ability to play both Jay and Joey’s parts and actually reminds me a lot of Joey in his playing…..and the obvious stage presence.

And it just so happens that same kid opened for Slipknot every day for a couple tours…..and is used to wearing a mask while he plays. I didn’t even know he was in the band when I saw this tour, I just remember chuckling at the drummer doing the Joey headspins while opening for Slipknot.

Code orange was waaaay more exciting when they were still a hardcore band instead the modern nu metal whatever the fuck they have been for the last few years (I am king has some iconic moments but it was also the beginning of the end imo.

In response to the thread topic as a whole but also kinda related to my thoughts on code orange: does anyone else cringe any time Clown is hyping up any new Slipknot material and he always says the same thing: "this one is much heavier and darker. We've recaptured the same intensity and energy of the self titled/Iowa era" and when it drops it's just more edgy red state rock military spouse music?

Also, I think the situation with Jay and Madball was basically that Madball are still some hard ass guys that never gave up the "street life" in some ways and they thought Jay was a square and just couldn't hang with the kind of lifestyle they live & portray through the music. At least that's my understanding of the situation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Code orange was waaaay more exciting when they were still a hardcore band instead the modern nu metal whatever the fuck they have been for the last few years (I am king has some iconic moments but it was also the beginning of the end imo.
Forever and I Am King were the last two great releases that Code Orange did; and it's just wild that Roadrunner steered them in this new direction thinking it would be more commercially viable when the band was already commercially viable (as much as a hardcore band can be) even in their earliest days.

When Underneath was set to be released, the overtly obnoxious, self-aggrandizing (to a rather egotistical degree) marketing by Code Orange to generate hype was just utterly repulsive. Constantly spamming statements on social media such as: "THIS ALBUM WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!" and "WE ARE THE NEXT NINE INCH NAILS!" wasn't exactly making me want to buy the album after hearing how terrible the mixing/engineering was on the first song that was put out as a single from that album. Then the album came and went, and literally no one has mentioned it since 2020. I even forgot that it existed for a minute.

I only recently found out that Code Orange put out another album this year in 2023 and it didn't even cause a stir. No bang, and not even a whimper either. I don't recall seeing or hearing any marketing for it whatsoever. No hype in the typical hardcore sites/forums/groups. Just...nothing. It's as though the album didn't even register on anyone's radar except maybe the "true" diehard Code Orange fanatics (if there are even any left). Seems odd that the band was being interviewed by Rolling Stone magazine during their previous album cycle for Underneath, and now...nothing. I can't help but wonder if the fact that they signed to a brand new label that no one has heard of (called Blue Grape Music) played a role in the total lack of any mention or hype behind this new album.

Anyway, to bring this full circle, it just goes to show you what Roadrunner as a noted, highly controlling label has done to what was a great band. Even though Code Orange isn't with Roadrunner anymore, it seems like their career as a band has passed its pinnacle and is grinding to its end. I bring this up specifically because Slipknot has been in the same boat ever since they left Roadrunner. The band has been on a continual downward trajectory, even though Corey Taylor came out explicitly stating that: "Roadrunner isn't what it used to be" as a label.

Last edited:

broj15

Reaction score
Forever and I Am King were the last two great releases that Code Orange did; and it's just wild that Roadrunner steered them in this new direction thinking it would be more commercially viable when the band was already commercially viable (as much as a hardcore band can be) even in their earliest days.

When Underneath was set to be released, the overtly obnoxious, self-aggrandizing (to a rather egotistical degree) marketing by Code Orange to generate hype was just utterly repulsive. Constantly spamming statements on social media such as: "THIS ALBUM WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!" and "WE ARE THE NEXT NINE INCH NAILS!" wasn't exactly making me want to buy the album after hearing how terrible the mixing/engineering was on the first song that was put out as a single from that album. Then the album came and went, and literally no one has mentioned it since 2020. I even forgot that it existed for a minute.

I only recently found out that Code Orange put out another album this year in 2023 and it didn't even cause a stir. No bang, and not even a whimper either. I don't recall seeing or hearing any marketing for it whatsoever. No hype in the typical hardcore sites/forums/groups. Just...nothing. It's as though the album didn't even register on anyone's radar except maybe the "true" diehard Code Orange fanatics (if there are even any left). Seems odd that the band was being interviewed by Rolling Stone magazine during their previous album cycle for Underneath, and now...nothing. I can't help but wonder if the fact that they signed to a brand new label that no one has heard of (called Blue Grape Music) played a role in the total lack of any mention or hype behind this new album.

Anyway, to bring this full circle, it just goes to show you what Roadrunner as a noted, highly controlling label has done to what was a great band. Even though Code Orange isn't with Roadrunner anymore, it seems like their career as a band has passed its pinnacle and is grinding to its end. I bring this up specifically because Slipknot has been in the same boat ever since they left Roadrunner. The band has been on a continual downward trajectory, even though Corey Taylor came out explicitly stating that: "Roadrunner isn't what it used to be" as a label.
I feel like the only "hardcore" band that survived Roadrunner (barely) was Glassjaw. It's probably a good thing they went on hiatus after 2 albums with Roadrunner. I think that was less about roadrunner being controlling and mo re about them trying to market a post hardcore band as a nu metal band since the vocals had a similar flavor to Deftones.

And code orange should've stuck to working with Deathwish or just self released everything once they hit a certain level of notoriety. Not to beat a dead horse by calling them "sell outs" (a stupid term) but as a hardcore band they would've retained a lot of the fanbase they already had by going completely DIY/independent or working with someone (Jacob Bannon) who is a veteran of the hardcore scene. I understand thinking that roadrunner's PR & distribution network (and their bank account) is much more vast than any "true hardcore" record label allowing them to reach a wider audience that might've never been exposed to them, but to just jump ship with a long established hardcore label with a consistent catalog like Deathwish AND simultaneously change their sound that much is gonna alienate a lot of the OG fans who bought love is love/return to dust.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Code Orange’s newest album , The Above , is easily album of the year . Unique , heavy , chuggy , catchy hooks , killer riffs , punk rock drums , slow melodic Reba vocals , I can go on . One of the most refreshing albums that has come out in years .

Also , they’re great people . Got to talk to them on discord , I actually mentioned / begged coming to my hometown again ( saw them first show after the pandemic and they ripped ) and it was mentioned maybe in a year or 2 . Now they’re playing here in March , so I’m taking some credit for them swinging by when not much comes here . Reba’s outlook on guitars and music is awesome as well .

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I actually mentioned / begged coming to my hometown again ( saw them first show after the pandemic and they ripped ) and it was mentioned maybe in a year or 2 . Now they’re playing here in March , so I’m taking some credit for them swinging by when not much comes here .
Lol. If you think that bands have any sort of say whatsoever in their booking process or what cities/towns they play in, then you clearly have zero knowledge of how the booking process (or the touring side of the music industry as a whole) works. :lol:

Get off your high horse. The band isn’t swinging by because of you groveling to them via a social media chat app.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Lol. If you think that bands have any sort of say whatsoever in their booking process or what cities/towns they play in, then you clearly have zero knowledge of how the booking process (or the touring side of the music industry as a whole) works. :lol:

Get off your high horse. The band isn’t swinging by because of you groveling to them via a social media chat app.
I got a notification that you replied and instantly knew it was gonna be some rude , unintelligent comment . Must suck being miserable all the time :nono:

Last edited:

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I got a notification that you replied and instantly knew it was gonna be some rude , unintelligent comment . Must suck being miserable all the time :nono:
Must suck being unable to respond to a legitimate, valid stance based in professional experience with concrete evidence to back it. So instead, you resort to personal insults such as calling someone “rude” or “unintelligent” or “miserable” for absolutely no reason.

How utterly childish…

It’s not my fault that you do not understand how the music industry actually works. Your lack of comprehension does not warrant you throwing petty, little insults at me like a petulant child. Take that shit elsewhere. And your blatant lack of comprehension coupled with your inability to address a point also does not in any way equate to me being “miserable”.

Sorry that I ruined your fantasy of you groveling like a leech to get a band to play in your town.

Last edited:

broj15

Reaction score
Code Orange’s newest album , The Above , is easily album of the year . Unique , heavy , chuggy , catchy hooks , killer riffs , punk rock drums , slow melodic Reba vocals , I can go on . One of the most refreshing albums that has come out in years .

Also , they’re great people . Got to talk to them on discord , I actually mentioned / begged coming to my hometown again ( saw them first show after the pandemic and they ripped ) and it was mentioned maybe in a year or 2 . Now they’re playing here in March , so I’m taking some credit for them swinging by when not much comes here . Reba’s outlook on guitars and music is awesome as well .

TBH if their newest album is your personal AOTY then idk what else to say other than I'd hate to see the rest of your list 😅.

I mean I tried it and it had some cool moments throughout the album but it's completely overshadowed and ruined by that cringe "I'm a crazy edgy guy who's gonna talk growl into the mic quick throw some distortion on it so the kids think we're industrial also here's a billy Corgan feature cuz fuck it we're not kids anymore". That shit was Marilyn Manson but somehow worse. Reba's vocals are alright, though they couldn't save whatever that album was. I did watch her rig rundown and I like her approach to gear and she seems like a cool person.

Also I hate to burst your bubble (and I'll try and do it in a more diplomatic way than others) but you had nothing to do with them playing your city outside of listening to the album. Fr nearly any band with enough money to pay for the service has access to analytics that track a listeners geographic data over pretty much all the major platforms (Spotify, YouTube, Apple music, bandcamp, etc). That information, logistics, and their booking manager's network is what determines what cities a band plays on tour. Also a band having a discord is the lamest thing I've ever heard.

TL;DR - Code Orange fell off HARD and a single fan interaction won't re-route a tour.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They are going to play a personal gig in this guys back yard and I'm tired of everyone being so overwhelmingly rude and negative about it
sarcasm through the internet fails me again smh

probably was stoned when I commented this lol

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Does the average Slipknot fan even know who the drummer is?

I know we're musicians so we tend to care and pick up on this stuff a bit more, but is your average listener going to know or care? Be a primary selling point?

I'm a musician (at least like 60% of the time), and I was wondering what happened to Joey, but skimming this thread reminded me why I don't keep up with bands like I used to. Metal really could take a page from country. Name of person who's band it is and name of band, like Waylon Jennings and the Waylors or Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. Corey Taylor and the Slipknots, Michael Amott and the Enemies, Papa Emeritus and the Ghouls. Still works, just makes the whole hired gun thing clearer.

It's so weird to me that Slipknot of all bands became this corporate and greedy, where they refuse to pay their members a fair share. I guess they really are Gen X KISS.

At first that seems weird, because I grew up in the era of you were a fag or (insert slur of choice here) if you listened to Slipknot, but then I got to thinking, I'm pretty sure I made a thread on here years ago about why does everyone care about Corey Taylor's opinion on everything, and I'd rather not think about how long ago that was.

I see your point, but to my knowledge, they haven't had a Vinnie Vincent yet, maybe if they got like Berried Alive or some obvious punched in/faked Rise Records guitarist. Think I'm remembering the right person, @Spaced Out Ace , would you care to elaborate on how much Vinnie Vincent sucks?

Edika

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that the average Slipknot fan is over 30. They've been around since the mid 90s and have mostly coasted on their past success to keep propelling them forward.

Honestly a hilariously out of touch comment, Slipknot being for angsty teens is something people said 25 years ago.
Not disagreeing with the comment but I have met a lot of over 30's that still behave like angsty teens lol! Like time never passed and there was no maturing process at all.

Luckily Slipknot does not push whatever tripe they used to about 9 guys making music and everyone being irreplaceable. Not sure if they're still on about the maggots thing too. I mean, I get it, when you're a struggling musician and have, or at least pretend to have, some ideology to bring into the impressionable youth, is the best way to get a fanatic base. I've been through that with Thrash and it seems every generation goes through that without realising or even learning from previous generations that in the end it is or it evolves into a marketing gimmick.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
. Not sure if they're still on about the maggots thing too.

1pldv7.jpg

Edika

Reaction score
Isn't that like most of the people on this forum?
Oh believe me, in contrast to some people that I work with that are supposed to be professionals at a high tech industry for many many years, the people in this forum are at the octogenarian level of maturity lol!

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Oh believe me, in contrast to some people that I work with that are supposed to be professionals at a high tech industry for many many years, the people in this forum are at the octogenarian level of maturity lol!

Hell, you would be surprised (depending in how in you are) how much it only matters if it sounds good. Walk in with some Steve Vai level knowledge, "this is the right way to do shit" you're about to get blacklisted.