Slippery pick?

• Thread starter Zehailiu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
I love my 2mm big stubbies but if I have to pick anything continuously for more than a minute they start to slip away from the tip of my thumb, any way to overcome this problem? Are there picks shaped like the stubby but not as slippery? I hear the V picks are supposed to be slip-resistant, can anyone chime on on how those are compared to the stubbies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I love my 2mm big stubbies but if I have to pick anything continuously for more than a minute they start to slip away from the tip of my thumb, any way to overcome this problem? Are there picks shaped like the stubby but not as slippery? I hear the V picks are supposed to be slip-resistant, can anyone chime on on how those are compared to the stubbies?

Primetones Pointed are shaped like big Stubbies, and they have ridges and indents to keep them from slipping. I use the Primetones and they don't move. I've actually done entire shows with just one Primetone (which is unusual 'cause I'm notorious for dropping picks).

1203039326_250_PrimeTone_Pick.jpg

V-picks, on the other hand, don't live up to whole "slip-resistant" thing for me. They are nice picks, they hold extremely well, but I've been playing with them for about 2 weeks and have yet to experience the "sticks to your hand after they warm up" thing. That being said, every other claim made about them has been spot on.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score

you can also drill some small holes in the pick.... so when you play the skin will bound to them and prevent the pick from slipping.... it works also

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
V picks are really easy to hold, but I'm still unsure of the slip-resistant thing. That said, I haven't dropped one yet, but if you have super-sweaty hands, then you still might.

I used the 3.0mm Stubby's in addition to jazz III's, and I vastly prefer the V picks.

I did a review in the Gear & Equipment subforum, and I do recommend them. Be prepared to spend $4 for a pick, and more if you want one of their specialty models.

Fred

Reaction score
you can also drill some small holes in the pick.... so when you play the skin will bound to them and prevent the pick from slipping.... it works also

Yeah, I hole-punch every single one of my picks and it works really well. Makes it easier to tell when the other guitarists in my band have stolen them, too!

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
:rofl:

dude, put some super glue on the pick before you leave :rofl:

:lol:

I have a mystery pick that looks like a giant jazz pick with some embossment on the holding surface and cryptic "C" logo. It doesn't slip, and I could probably find out who makes it, but the plastic leaves a bit to be desired.

Zehailiu

Reaction score

Thanks for the all inputs, but I'm poor so I'll go with this one.
Poor man's V pick here I come. :)

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
I follow what Dimebag used to do:

I take my all my gator picks and serrate one side of it with a knife. I make the serrations deep enough so I can feel the grooves. I've never had problems since and its become second nature for me at this point to serrate every pick I have. I hold the serrated part against my thumb.

I never tried the holes method.

Mvotre

Reaction score
i bought some v-picks, and even if they worked really nice for me, the pick i use most already got some bad scratches in the picking region... for a pick of that price, i would expect it to last longer. back to the pick searching time :squint:

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I have a trick :)

Put some super glue on one face of the pick....

Spray some accelerator and the glue will cure very fast and become sturctured which makes it easy to grip...

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
I use the Clayton Acetals and they've never slipped on me. I started using them when I played bass and when I wasn't doing slaps, and thats when I found out thats the pick for me. They never slip on me, awesome picks.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I just use the slick red Jazz III's and have never had a problem. They also last forever. I've bought 2 packs of 6 in the past 5 years of using them every day.

Nheme

Reaction score
I got SUPER sweaty fingers and I use the Ibanez Grip Wizard Extra Heavy picks, they got a area with sandpaper which keep em from moving at all.

p32294.jpg