SLO100 clone

• Thread starter Lewk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lewk

Reaction score
Alright dudes,I'm building an SLO100 clone and when I say building...I actually mean sourcing the parts and giving them to someone who is less likely to solder their fingers together than me.There's tons of info on doing it,especially over at the SLOCLONES forum-an overwhelming amount,actually.

I'm going with C3 amps for most of the parts C3Amps - ONetics Transformers & Soldano Chassis - O Netics except for the trannies and cab.The O'netics trannies are just way out of my price,really.I got linked to some purpose built IGPW trannies Product Details - Audio Transformers IG Präzisions-Wickeltechnik and I'll probably ask Zilla to make the headcase,that's a long way down the road, anyway(I'm going to be ordering the stuff in parts over a few months).

SV2100Whot_kit%20front.jpg

SV2100Whot_kit_rear.jpg

Just sharing,anyway.I'll post pics as and when the stuff turns up :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aiur55

Reaction score
That looks sweet! Did you order the PCB board from them as well? I am definitely interested.

Lewk

Reaction score
Nope,just the 'dressed chasis' so far-it's going to take me a fair while to get all the parts but hopefully the project will turn out better taking my time getting the best parts(although some people will disagree on the merit of mil spec/over engineered parts when it comes down to 'tone' but whatever).

There isn't a price on the PCBs on the site so I'm waiting for an e-mail quote.I've asked for prices of the pre and power board PCBs,components for both and fully wired up pre and power boards so I'll have a few options depending on the price.If he wires it up for a fair price I may as well get that done his end.

The C3 PCBs:

C3PwrQtr1-L.JPG

C3PreAmpTop-L.jpg

C3PreAmp-L.jpg

With the FaT caps
PowerBd_T_O_L.JPG

Lewk

Reaction score
Haha, you should just pony up the $5000 for a new one. It's completely worth it.

Aside from not having $5k lying around - that's not really the point of the project! Besides, it's probably going to cost me closer to $1.5k all in and when you convert that to £GBP (thanks Obama :p ) it works out at under £1k shipped. And, yea... a 5W champ build would be cheaper but again, not really the point :D

how much was the pcb in the end?

He's getting to me on Wednesday with all the info - he's on a business trip at the moment. I'll update the thread when he gets back to me, though.

Lewk

Reaction score
If you PM a guy called Smashguitars over on the SLOCLONES forum you can buy a set from him for $25 (lots of people seem to) and perfectly fitting matching components for it over at the C3 site - depends what bits you want to fit on it I guess. You're restricted that way with PCB. Honestly, I don't know what makes one PCB better than the next.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
Wow that is cheap! Thickness and rigidity of the board and tracks tends to be what a PCB is judged on if the board is flimsy it will flex which can cause track breaks or crack solder joints.

They look to be nice chunky boards in your pics

Lewk

Reaction score
Wow that is cheap! Thickness and rigidity of the board and tracks tends to be what a PCB is judged on if the board is flimsy it will flex which can cause track breaks or crack solder joints.

They look to be nice chunky boards in your pics

I see. Yea, they do look thick - I like the PCB it looks like amp building by numbers haha

CD1221

Reaction score
For a high gain amp like that, pcb building really is the way to go. The noise and other layout related issues are all sorted that way. Laying that out point to point or on tag strips would be a pain the the rectum.

Lewk

Reaction score
Yea I think you're right.I was weighing up the options as my builder is really good with P2P and is what he likes to use.It'll save a boat load of cash too as it'll mean just wiring the boards in place rather than like you said finding the quietest most efficient layout.C3 got back to me with $35 for both pre and power board PCBs... sounds like a steal tbh

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
$35???? you should take his arm off thats a massive steal. how much for the p&p?

Lewk

Reaction score
$35???? you should take his arm off thats a massive steal. how much for the p&p?

Didn't ask that as I'm a month or so away from ordering it but he's been very reasonable so far.

Berger

Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet! I had thought about doing that as well. But its still a little too advanced for me at the moment.

Definitely will be watching this one.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing one of these just I haven't had the time or money. Also I feel like if I built this I would want the o'netics tranny but I'd probably cave and get a cheaper one so I could play the damn thing! haha

Latest posts