So, apparently the Ibanez J-Line is a thing

• Thread starter LordHar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
I love the look of that. As much as some folks may criticise the lack of fruity colours on this. It’s a guitar for metal... it’s supposed to be black ;)

And yeah Fujigen Gakki make guitars for Hoshino but they also make dashboards for Lexus...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
Love the square heel with modern neck appointments. I actually see this and the Genesis series as upgrades to their predecessors.

While we’re dreaming, let’s do a Genesis RG565 in original colors and give the public access to LACS! Yeah, not holding my breath on either.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
None of what gets posted in threads like these is a "great strategy". Like, they hire folks and outside firms to pour over the data about what they should and shouldn't make.

But that's no fun.
To be fair, there are significant exemples of companies screwing up big time on pretty self explanatory subjects where you'd think they wouldn't even need outside firms and counselors. To take only a famous one, "New Coke".
The company I left a year ago is piling mistakes and I can tell from having been inside that the execs have been told about it beforehand and just didn't listen.

You shouldn't assume that a company however big will always make the right choice, especially since making a mistake can have positive returns immediately and VERY negative returns a few years down the line... when the decision maker is now working someplace else. The decision was made to be optimal for him, not the company.

That's the reason why I do think that some ideas posted in this kind of threads can actually have more merit than the policy companies follow. (Emphasis on "can")
Relating to Ibanez, we had been saying for a long time even here that offering brand name pickups would be a good move, long before they did.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be fair, there are significant exemples of companies screwing up big time on pretty self explanatory subjects where you'd think they wouldn't even need outside firms and counselors. To take only a famous one, "New Coke".
The company I left a year ago is piling mistakes and I can tell from having been inside that the execs have been told about it beforehand and just didn't listen.

You shouldn't assume that a company however big will always make the right choice, especially since making a mistake can have positive returns immediately and VERY negative returns a few years down the line... when the decision maker is now working someplace else. The decision was made to be optimal for him, not the company.

That's the reason why I do think that some ideas posted in this kind of threads can actually have more merit than the policy companies follow. (Emphasis on "can")
Relating to Ibanez, we had been saying for a long time even here that offering brand name pickups would be a good move, long before they did.

There will always be room for improvement, and they've certainly brought models out that flopped, but it's not like they're just throwing darts at the wall as far as what to offer and what not to offer.

Pickup wise, they have been working with DiMarzio since the early 90's and SD since the late 90's. They were also the first mainstream production company to use BKPs stock.

There was never a time in at least the last 30 years where you couldn't get an Ibanez guitar with name brand made pickups. The issue has usually been it's just not the set that some folks want, especially here where things skew "metal".

If you go on Jemsite or TGP or the old Ibby forum there were tons of people who like the OEM V series pickups, so you can't expect them to eliminate the OEM options if they have a loyal, guitar buying, following.

Reaction score
Ditch one of their most successful product lines? Doesn't seem like a great strategy
I only say to ditch the AZ line because the market is already saturated with HH style shredder strats. Jackson has one, Charvel, Schecter... the AZ line from Ibanez, in my opinion, undermines the RG line and creates unnecessary competition within the Ibanez product line-up itself. Sure, it might be popular, but it's just not needed to differentiate Ibanez from any other manufacturer. The RGs already did that.

trem licking

Reaction score
Am I the only one kinda bummed out that these have the tilt neck joint instead of AANJ? I feel the same way about the Genesis series (although I get that those are reissues so it makes sense). Other than that I think this J-line RG looks great.
not the only one... block heels need to go away hehehehe

runbirdman

Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy
Reaction score
I find the difference between the OSNJ and the AANJ negligible. I actually prefer my Genesis over my Prestige. The OSNJ is nowhere near as obstructive as the Charvel/Fender block and much more in line with my EBMM Cutlass as far as restricting access. I personally wouldn’t let either neck joint sway me one way or another when purchasing an Ibanez; however, the new Talman with a full on block is a no go for me.

Robotechnology

Reaction score
not the only one... block heels need to go away hehehehe

The heel is similar to this (probably a little more sculpted in fact). That’s not what I consider a block heel.

093-B72-BA-DE42-4960-9-CEB-808-F6-B17-EADE.jpg

Real block heels really do suck though.

TrevorT

Reaction score
I find the difference between the OSNJ and the AANJ negligible. I actually prefer my Genesis over my Prestige. The OSNJ is nowhere near as obstructive as the Charvel/Fender block and much more in line with my EBMM Cutlass as far as restricting access. I personally wouldn’t let either neck joint sway me one way or another when purchasing an Ibanez; however, the new Talman with a full on block is a no go for me.
I have an RG770DX 2008 reissue (see my profile pic) that I absolutely love except for the tilt neck joint. The difference between it and my AANJ guitars is pretty noticeable when I'm playing on the higher frets. I guess it just depends on the player.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I got it, Ibanez can do a Modern Classics production line. All the old faves but with AANJ and maybe some super expensive niche pickups to piss everyone off.

trem licking

Reaction score
I have an RG770DX 2008 reissue (see my profile pic) that I absolutely love except for the tilt neck joint. The difference between it and my AANJ guitars is pretty noticeable when I'm playing on the higher frets. I guess it just depends on the player.
Agreed. ANY block heel I've played is more obstructing than the AANJ. No reason to have one unless you just like copying an old design just to copy one