So I am learning German.

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
And here we are again.

One MONTH bump.

As I've been doing Japanese I have put German to the side, but I started again at 11:00. Did a quick review, quick review...haha! My mouth felt really weird after doing such, I was stumbling over words. Gonna do a more comprehensive review tomorrow. Hopefully my Japanese tongue don't fuck over though.

Kronpox

shrent? shrent.
Reaction score
Ich lerne Deutsch aber ich bin schlecht, ich habe keine Vokabel und die Grammatik ist unübersichtlich, aber er ist spaß und ich gehen nicht auf!

month and a half bump? If there's another 'everybody speak German!' thread around then I couldn't find it

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kronpox

shrent? shrent.
Reaction score
Wir werden wieder versuchen zu helfen :D

Danke sehr! Ich haben eine kleine Frage-

I was reading an interview with Michael Romeo and the word 'Aufnehmen' kept coming up in words like 'Aufnehmensweise' and 'Aufnehmenprozess', I gather that 'nehmen' is 'to take' and 'auf' is a prefix that means up or on, but I can't put this together into a meaning that makes sense. Verb prefixes confuse me, but I'm starting to pick it up.

forelander

you fail me
Reaction score
Danke sehr! Ich haben eine kleine Frage-

I was reading an interview with Michael Romeo and the word 'Aufnehmen' kept coming up in words like 'Aufnehmensweise' and 'Aufnehmenprozess', I gather that 'nehmen' is 'to take' and 'auf' is a prefix that means up or on, but I can't put this together into a meaning that makes sense. Verb prefixes confuse me, but I'm starting to pick it up.

Long story short, when a preposition is put in front of a verb, the meaning likely won't be a combination of the verb and preposition, or a logical extension thereof. Some are, but you can't bet on it. Aufnehmen as a verb means to pick up, I'd assume as in ideas or concepts, as far as I can gather.

Kronpox

shrent? shrent.
Reaction score
So trying to make sense of verbs like that based on their components is a bad idea? I know there are some that are logical (aufhaben?) but in general they should be learned as another verb entirely?

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
Well, "aufnehmen" could also mean "to record" (musically) or to catch it on film with a camera... :)

Kronpox

shrent? shrent.
Reaction score
Danke. I reckoned that from the context, but since I'm new to this it's possible to reckon anything so I wanted to make sure

another question, how is 'zig' in numbers like 'zwanzig' or 'fuenfzig' pronounced? I've been pronouncing it pretty much like English, with a hard G, but am now hearing it with more of an english 'j' sound, is that correct?

(I won't say what I was listening to that had that in it, too un-metal, I'll just say it's a song and the chorus contains 'neunundneunzig'...)

forelander

you fail me
Reaction score
another question, how is 'zig' in numbers like 'zwanzig' or 'fuenfzig' pronounced? I've been pronouncing it pretty much like English, with a hard G, but am now hearing it with more of an english 'j' sound, is that correct?

The zig is pronounced ts-ich, where the ich sounds just like the german word ich. As such it varies with the region you're in :lol:.

As for your earlier question, yes, you're better off learning the verb as a new word, rather than figuring out it's meaning as a combination of its components. (Compound nouns, on the other hand, are usually a straight forward interpretation of the components...The difficulty comes when a verb (aufnehmen) has been used as part of a compound noun (Aufnehmensweise) and then you have to know the original verbs meaning and then combine it with the noun :lol:).