So I bought my first FR guitar (ESP BUZ-7 Review)

• Thread starter The Q
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Q

The Engineer
Reaction score
[Review. Lots of blabbering ahead]

One thing I always wanted, was a vibrato equipped guitar, just to see what I can do with it. I really wanted a guitar with a maple fretboard too because all I had was ebony and rosewood and finally, a sevenstring would be great, even though I have an eight string.

I found out about ESP BUZ-7 and was between this and the new Loomis. The Loomis, even though it was more expensive was equipped with the 57/66-7H set which I've installed on my 8 string and is probably one of the best pickup sets I've ever used. Plus it was a longer scale which I always like.

Thanks to google however, I found out that a SSO member (from the EU no less) was selling one, practically unused for a great price. The negotiations started and the sale was made! Here is the original thread that contains the (great) pictures Alex got of the guitar so I won't bother posting mine. Well OK, just one (the other instrument is an electric greek bouzouki with an extra pair of strings; 5-course).

And here's my review of it.

First of all, I need to thank Alex for being a great seller and patient as well, dealing with my questions. Highly recommended.

Now as far the guitar goes. I'll admit that I wasn't a fan of the whiteburst design, being a person that likes natural wood designs on guitars. However, from up close the whiteburst actually looks quite good and weirdly minimalistic which grew on me within only a few days. The maple fretboard is excellent and, while it appears unfinished, I think it might have some thin coating of some kind. I'll need to research this a bit more in order to apply proper maintenance.

I am not really a fan of reverse headstocks, but it doesn't actually bother me either (I couldn't stand an Explorer banana headstock however). There is an issue here though, which has to do with the spacing between the machineheads, making tuning of the guitar a bit difficult for someone with large hands like. Again, nothing serious.

Fret access is amazing. Every single one of the 24 frets is easily accessible, even the low-B string (within reason). It's a 25.5" scale guitar and with the .60 on I can do Standard Tuning without a hint of floppiness. The neck is very thin, one of the thinnest compared to my other guitars and to be honest I don't think this works out great for me (I like the necks to have some thickness; remember: big hands). I'm getting used to it rather quickly, but still... Ibanez lovers will probably like this one though.

The pickups are rather unimpressive to be honest but not bad. I obviously applied the 18V mod on them and the differences were very subtle, to the point that the mod might not be worth it really. But despite the mod, I can see what EMG tried to do with the 707 pickups. It's as if they tried to be conservative, focusing on a compressed (and flat) sound that would sound good when distorted in an attempt to tame the 7th string.
Well, they succeeded. While not very obvious at the higher strings, the tone of the lower ones cannot match the one of the 57/66, but it's usable for cleans and distortion and I won't bother replacing the pickups; I've already spent more than €1000 on pickups so far.

Finally, I also like the black nickel hardware.

That's the good stuff. Now, the BAD can be summed up with two words: Floyd Rose.
I had to replace the strings which were quite corroded, plus I use Elixir 11s for everything. I've already researched how to properly setup a Floyd Rose bridge while waiting for the guitar, but boy oh boy was I in for trouble or what...

First, the strings require 5 springs for the tremolo to float properly (remember, 11s). That wouldn't be a problem if I didn't also want to buy a backbox or something similar since the float won't return to zero properly. The knife edges were good (sharpened them just a bit to make sure; no change) the posts were good too (same deal), so I guess I have to deal with a +/-7 cent difference.

I don't want to go on a lighter gauge if I can avoid it, because I'm quite used to the feel of 11-49 & 60 of the Elixirs, but unless I can find properly hard springs, I might mover to the 7-string set from Elixir (cheaper too, a .60 Elixir single bass string costs more than a whole guitar set). I don't think I'd mind the feeling of a trem-stabiliser; tuning stability is much more important to me, because I always tune within +/-1 cents on my other guitars.

One of the greatest problems I've faced with the Floyd is that I cannot get the strings low enough. While I can reach 1mm on high E and 1.5mm on low B, this makes bending up with the trem-bar impossible; lifting the bar lowers the action on the strings causing them to stop vibrating due to coming in contact with the frets. I've settled with setting them to 1.5mm (high E) which allows 1 to almost 2 semitones of range. It's not very comfortable compared to what I'm used to, but not unusable either.

After spending about 10 hours in total in the span of 3 days, fiddling with the Floyd I think I've decided I don't like vibrato bridges very much. I'm not selling the guitar which I like (despite the Floyd and the extra weight it adds), but I don't think I'll be buying another trem-equipped one soon.

Would I recommend this one? It's a solid guitar and comes at a good price, provided that you don't mind the floyd and the flatness of the pickups.
If I were to pay full price for it however, I'd rather pay something extra and go for the Loomis. A bit fatter on the neck, better pickups, longer scale - you only have to deal with those ugly cross inlays.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mickytee

Reaction score
Very good review, I love how impartial and thorough it is.
I love that guitar (on paper and in pictures, never tried it), but I too dislike Floyd's, so I would probably block it if I got it.

trem licking

Reaction score
Make sure strings are thoroughly stretched and put chapstick between the knife edges and posts... that will help greatly

TheDraeg

Reaction score
Did you try adjusting the trem claw screws? 5 springs are not necessary if you twist the screws deeper into the body. I love Floyds- after the learning curve they are no problem

slim231990

Areola51
Reaction score
She's a beaut! btw sick mandolin or lute lol, whatever it is its cool looking :hbang:

The Q

The Engineer
Reaction score
Did you try adjusting the trem claw screws? 5 springs are not necessary if you twist the screws deeper into the body. I love Floyds- after the learning curve they are no problem

Hi, thanks for the advice. I did waste a lot of time with the Floyd, after I posted this. As it stands, I'm using 2 normal & 3 hard springs, just because I didn't have more of the hard ones. The claw has about 1-1.5cm of space to go, but I can feel that the guitar wasn't predrilled deep enough and as such I don't want to screw it in deeper.

I've decided to go with 10s (46 and 56 for the E and B) mostly due to cost. I'm buying a set of 5 extra hard springs (for parity) and I hope that I won't have to use more than 4 with the 10s; I really want to add a Göldo Backbox to the tremolo. Imagine 8 bucks for a 6-string Elixir set of 11-49, which is an OK price, but then a single bass string costs 10 bucks! Then again, their 10-56 7-string set costs about as much as the single bass string and it's obviously a no-brainer.

You are right about the curve however. Though it took me more than I expected, now I got the hang of it. Still, my Floyd doesn't like extreme bends/lifts and the Backbox cannot come soon enough. I don't mind the loss of flutter; I can't see myself using it.

She's a beaut! btw sick mandolin or lute lol, whatever it is its cool looking :hbang:
Warning, incoming text!
Heh, that's a bouzouki. This is the greek version (there's also the Irish one) which, you're right, looks like a lute because it's essentially a lute-based instrument combining pre-war elements from western and eastern music, mostly used in folk and (greek) blues music.
There are essentially 2 versions of the greek one, the 3-course one (3 pairs of 2 strings) and the 4-course one (4 pairs of 2 strings). Like a 12-string guitar without the extra strings kinda. Here's a demonstration of a ridiculously abaloned one:

There's a silly debate about which is "truer to the roots of greek music" (whatever), since the 3-course one is tuned DAD and the 4-course one CFAD, or a Standard D tuning of the guitar, but due to the thinner neck they can potentially have (a bit) different tone.

Now is where it gets interesting. Normally, the only way to get a DI sound from a bouzouki is to attach a pickup and/or transducer on the instrument, pretty much like an acoustic guitar (usually without the preamp controls though). The concept of an electric bouzouki is uncommon, because greek musicians can be fundamentalist pricks. A friend of mine produces electric ones, a demo of which you can see here:

Yeah that's all well and good but... I wanted more strings! So he custom made me a 5-course one that's tuned GCFAD, even though in greek music you tend to solo with using the top two courses rather than play chords (as it's more common with an irish one). It also kinda doubles as a 12 (well... 10) string guitar.

Suffice to say that now, them fundamentalists have two reasons to hate me ;)

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sharp looking guitar. I really love the maple fretboard. Excellent review too! :yesway:

The Q

The Engineer
Reaction score
You were here? That's cool! It's a pity that the summer officially ended last week with a sharp decline in temperature, cut my weekend visits to the beach rather sharply.

By the way, speaking about the guitar, the 707s (in an 18V configuration) have grown on me, to the point where I am not thinking of buying another 57/66 set. Buz, in case you've tried them, what's your opinion on 707-X and/or the 57/66 set?

The Q

The Engineer
Reaction score
Hm that's a pity, the X series seems to be well received by most. Well, the 707s seem to work nicely with this guitar and I'm really not looking into replacing them.

I wouldn't know much about the X series anyway, though I do have a pair of 40TWX on my bass and they do not disappoint.

Reaction score
You sharpened the knife edges? Maybe you should take it to a tech for a setup.

Edika

Reaction score
Congrats on the new guitar. Floyds can be really annoying at first and while quite comfortable to rest your hands on, if you're not into using them doing tricks there's no point of having them. That said all my guitars have been equipped with a Floyd or Floyd like system and only just recently have I been introduced to the glory of the fixed bridge!

HeadofaHessian

Reaction score
Can you fit a 60 through those tuners? It says they are grovers on the esp web site, which I thought could only fit a 56?

The Q

The Engineer
Reaction score
OK, it's been a 10 days after I got this guitar and I think there's something I don't like. The 707s and the sustain.

I don't like the 707s because they manage to kill my artificial harmonics, yet I don't have the slightest as to why but unless we're talking about some weird manufacturing fault on the guitar (which shouldn't be it, as far as I can tell), it's probably due to the attenuated treble (and some mid-highs I'd guess).

Also, it'll sound weird, but I actually prefer the 707s without the 18V mod after all. Somehow, it seems to kill some of the treble along with the bass, even though the the chugginess becomes richer in frequency amplitude variations (poser way to say "more organic" feeling).

The 707s will be gone from this guitar. I was thinking of trying out some Blackouts, but I'll leave SD with their passive pickup range and go the EMG way instead, for another 57/66 set which I already know and love. Let me know if you are interested on the 707s, I'll probably put an e-bay ad for them for about €50 each (shipping excluded).

Now for the sustain. I cannot seem to get pinch harmonics to squeal with the tremolo (the other strings are interfering and having to mute them slightly with my left hand) and even if I begin to do it, the sound fades almost instantly. Natural harmonics squeal easier but still ain't satisfactory enough. Will a better sustain block help? Is there something else I should look into/for?
Am I an idiot for trying to get squeals using the tremolo after pinch harmonics? Remember, that's my first vibrato equiped guitar.
Also, I've successfully muted the springs, if that's of any consequence.
Whoops, also forgot to mention that if I don't bother with the tremolo and don't touch the whammy bar, the sustain is good.