So I released an album for my Solo Instrumental Project, Qualities.

• Thread starter TheManWhoWalksAlone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheManWhoWalksAlone

Reaction score
As the title says, I would appreciate if you dudes checked it out! Thanks.

a3999011312_10.jpg

https://qualities.bandcamp.com/album/qualities

If you like it, why not give Qualities' page a like on Facebook?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Qualities/535253429850528

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoryGriffin

Reaction score
Nice songwriting, but something about the mix doesn't hit me right. I think the distorted guitars are a little muffled (and a little loud) in places.

I'm just about halfway through.

TheManWhoWalksAlone

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm hoping more people check this out, I wanna hear more opinions from you dudes. I regard the opinions of sevenstring.org users very highly.

guitarfan85

Banned
Reaction score
I agree about the mix, I just don't know enough to say what it is. Maybe the whole volume needs to be turned up a little

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Whole mix needs more treble. Sounds like the guitars have a really extreme low-pass on them- you only really need to go down to about 8500 hz maximum. The guitars sound like a POD unit, so if you're using the POD eq, I would recommend ditching it in favor of a DAW eq. Be aware that the screamer pedal tone knob can also muffle the sound pretty significantly, since it introduces a resonant low pass filter that, when you crank it, goes waaaay down to like 7500 hz or something.

The bass could stand to lose some sub-lows where it conflicts with the kick, and you could increase the "clank" of the bass and bring it down by about 5 db without sacrificing much in the mix. You could also crank a nice high shelf into your overheads and cut some mud around 300 hz to make them brighter.

If you haven't already, load up a good mix in your DAW and look at where the high-end dropoff point is. Things usually start to taper off above 14000 hz. Introduce more high end into your mix until the curves look similar in any EQ match or frequency analysis program, whether it's Ozone or Voxengo Span.

The overall instrument balance sounds really nice though, and the synths and cleans sound fantastic.

TheManWhoWalksAlone

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the constructive feedback guys. This is why I love getting opinions on this website, because people know they're stuff. I'm gonna save what you guys have to say because I want to take this into consideration for future works.:hbang:

TheManWhoWalksAlone

Reaction score
Whole mix needs more treble. Sounds like the guitars have a really extreme low-pass on them- you only really need to go down to about 8500 hz maximum. The guitars sound like a POD unit, so if you're using the POD eq, I would recommend ditching it in favor of a DAW eq. Be aware that the screamer pedal tone knob can also muffle the sound pretty significantly, since it introduces a resonant low pass filter that, when you crank it, goes waaaay down to like 7500 hz or something.

The bass could stand to lose some sub-lows where it conflicts with the kick, and you could increase the "clank" of the bass and bring it down by about 5 db without sacrificing much in the mix. You could also crank a nice high shelf into your overheads and cut some mud around 300 hz to make them brighter.

If you haven't already, load up a good mix in your DAW and look at where the high-end dropoff point is. Things usually start to taper off above 14000 hz. Introduce more high end into your mix until the curves look similar in any EQ match or frequency analysis program, whether it's Ozone or Voxengo Span.

The overall instrument balance sounds really nice though, and the synths and cleans sound fantastic.

I agree with all this, thanks for the good advice!