So In Flames just re-recorded Clayman (the song)...

• Thread starter Kaura
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Are they re-recording the whole album? I'd be curious to hear how much of a trainwreck the whole thing is.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
That said, when has rerecorded releases ever been a good idea, let alone a successful result? First Strike Still Deadly immediately comes to mind. Sure production is nice and Testament had a much more rounded drummer during the sessions, but all the spirit and fire of the originals are long gone. Doesn't help that it was done out of necessity hence the phoned in performance.

First Strike was boring, and I think the only reason I was intrigued at the time was Steve DiGirogio on bass. Also, you're making me nervous about Mr. Bungle rerecording Raging Wrath.

Anyway, I pray to whoever/whatever that In Flames doesn't go anywhere near Colony after listening to this.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Are they re-recording the whole album? I'd be curious to hear how much of a trainwreck the whole thing is.

A third of it, I think I read in a metalsucks article.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
The release consists of the original album remastered by Ted Jensen plus rerecorded versions of Bullet ride/Only for the weak/Pinball map/Clayman and a new instrumental track called "Themes and variations in D-minor" as bonus tracks.
This rerecorded version of Clayman doesn't have me excited for the bonus tracks but I'm interested in hearing the remastered album.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
The vocals are pretty good, but all of the instrumentation is comparatively weak...bummerino.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Also, you're making me nervous about Mr. Bungle rerecording Raging Wrath.

Obviously it won't be the same experience since the band is now in their middle ages. But if there's a wildcard, Dave Lombardo has that magical ability to consistently capture raw anger and aggression in every recording he's been involved in. So consider that a semblance of hope.

InHiding

Reaction score
Only listened with laptop speakers (which are actually quite ok). The new one is quite "soft" sounding. It's still a decent song just like it always was. I never considered it to be that strong. Just sounds like they are playing inside a cardboard box compared to the original.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Y'all classic Jesterheads still want a Jester 2.0? Because that's what you get.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
I got into In Flames when A Sense of Purpose came out, but this is terrible IMO. It's a fine modern metal/hard rock mix, but when you A-B it with how Clayman is supposed to sound, it has no edge. Especially evident for me at the bridge section (1:50ish, I believe).

gnoll

Reaction score
It seems like a crap idea to begin with. The original sounds great, so why bother?

Re-recordings are pretty much never any good, but this one is unusually bad. Seems odd to even put this out. I mean don't they care at all anymore?

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
I’m impartial to it, but I’ll take this as a win because I’ve been going through my old in flames collection and is it fantastic.

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
That weird warp sound at the end completely took me out of any enjoyment I had. I love old In Flames but the new stuff doesn't appeal to me, especially this.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Man I wish this band could be good again.
I wish the current lineup would just take on another name and that Jesper, Peter, Daniel, Glen, and some singer would just get together and write some badass music again.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I can't believe these guys are still around. I lost interest after The Jester Race.
I remember seeing them several times live, last tine was with Nevermore in 1999 or so. They were okay but had quite a lot of difficulty keeping their guitars in tune and an overall lack of quality. Nevermore on the other hand absolutely blew them away!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Just
Man
The guitar tone suuuucks compared to the original. How the fuck you gonna take that iconic Fredman tone and neuter it so badly? Also the drums are just *there* and the vocals sound phoned in.