So is the official SSO rig still...

• Thread starter Fenriswolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based solely on my Helix - Revv is the amp. Or the Archon. Either way, I kind of want to try both in person now. I've only played a real 5153 one time, and it was impossible to not sound dark with the RG852 (unknown pickup change done by a previous owner).

Revv
Archon
ENGL

This is the way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
@Moongrum It befounds as to why this amp even has a clean and crunch channel. The crunch is very good, not as good as the lead, but very good. The cleans are dogwater. There are people with thousands of IRs and they use less than three of them most of the time. Keep the best, fuck the rest.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
So has this just become "what is your actual rig" and not the "what do we jokingly suggestion everyone should be using" thread?

In that case... current using:
S7420 -> FM3 -> PS200 -> Usually a mesa cab of some kind.

And the patch on the FM3 I use the most is just a replication of the same ol' rig I've used forever:
Input -> Mark IV -> delay -> Output

That old Ibanez S has been going strong for quite a while now. I've picked up some other guitars, but I keep coming back to that one.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Can't afford a used prestige unfortunately.

I'm rocking a RG7421 (not Japanese) and a Warmoth partscaster through a Kemper rack. Though, I'm thinking rather than buy a used Prestige in the near future, I might just build one from a custom body and donor neck. Perhaps a 7 string version of this sick Destroyer that's for sale near me.

?!?!?!?! Which Destroyer model is this? This spec is completely berserk

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Depends on the day but I think I have a decently SSO rig. Some form of Japanese noname guitar with a lot of damage or mods, EQD Plumes, PRS Archon.

I also have the anti-SSO rig now that I apparently play sessions, which is a Fender something or other cranked to hell and back with my 80s warlock into it.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
It's a mutt/partscaster. Neck and hardware from a RG1570. I'm guessing a body from Perle. Really sick, but out of my price range. Plus i'd rather it be a 7, and more crushed ruby red. So, prob going to build my own soonish™

Spamming my own shit again but just want to convey the strength of my endorsement for this project:

20240216_151928.jpg

Yes. Do it. I did it, and so must you

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Hmm...

I do have a trio of Prestige 7 strings. I bought two of them new, one used-like-new. I think that all three could be considered used by now since I have had them for a decade. [used Prestige - check]
Buuuuttt, I also have been playing a lot of my Legator Ninja multiscale 8 loaded with Fluence Moderns too.

TS variants are great, but what about Integrated Preamp or Fortin 33 clones? Between an 805 overdrive, Horizon Precision Drive, Dead Horse, and Peper's Pedals Dirty Tree, I think I have that covered. [TubeScreamer - check]

I have to digress on the 5150 style amp though. Sure, 5150 / 6505 / Invective can be an awesome sound, but I am firmly in the Mesa/Boogie Mark V and Rectifier camp. [Triaxis and Mark 525 - check]

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
For as much as the "used prestige into a boosted 5150" is sort of the canonical / traditional SSO rig to me, the Mark series seems to have always had a sizable following here, and I'm here for it.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Based solely on my Helix - Revv is the amp. Or the Archon. Either way, I kind of want to try both in person now. I've only played a real 5153 one time, and it was impossible to not sound dark with the RG852 (unknown pickup change done by a previous owner).

Revv
Archon
ENGL

This is the way.
A friend of mine has an Archon 100 and a Revv G20 that I got to play through last weekend. Both are killer amps. The Archon does such a nice thick sound, more refined than a Recto, but filling the same sonic spectrum to my ears. The G20 copped a nice early Fear Factory style chug with some nice cut and percussiveness on the purple (red plus blue) channel too. They're nice alternatives to the tried-and-true 5150 and Recto mainstays.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
2000 RG570EX>Line 6 Spider Classic. Swapped magnets in the stock pickups. I'm really pleasantly surprised by the Line 6. I had one about 12 years ago and couldn't wait to get a real amp again (I had a 6505 half stack in the mid 00s and had no idea what to do with it) and now I've come back to a Spider and wonder why I ever got rid of mine. It's perfect for my home setup. I'm looking at getting the short board fbv or whatever they call the foot controller so I can get deeper into this thing. I had no idea about the foot controllers last time I had one.

Necky379

Reaction score
Here’s my shrine to the org. Some of it came from members past and present but most importantly this gear never gets used for any live shows and will remain in my basement forever; as it was written.

1708880901882.jpeg
1708880979186.jpeg

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine has an Archon 100 and a Revv G20 that I got to play through last weekend. Both are killer amps. The Archon does such a nice thick sound, more refined than a Recto, but filling the same sonic spectrum to my ears. The G20 copped a nice early Fear Factory style chug with some nice cut and percussiveness on the purple (red plus blue) channel too. They're nice alternatives to the tried-and-true 5150 and Recto mainstays.
Yes, I mostly used Recto models (I've only owned modelers) until my Helix and i got to try the Archon. I'm mostly using it for leads, and the Revv Red (and sometimes purple) for rhythm. Obviously the Revv does leads well and the Archon does rhythm, but this seems to be my preference.

I would like to try the tube versions someday, to see if there's a noticeable difference, but likely I will stick with the convenience of the Helix.

Latest posts