So is the official SSO rig still...

• Thread starter Fenriswolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
21021A2F-A36B-47D9-986A-36EA0DD849E2.jpeg974E216F-87ED-4F0C-991D-93183CC15587.jpeg

Eh, not exactly the SSO rig anymore, but I do still have a 5150 2x12. And the MLC V has some 5150 meets Marshall JCM vibes. Still have a KSR, Mini Nightmare, and SLO 30. Only a JEM 77FP so no true RGs. I’ve swung to Dad Hard Rock and OSDM so the rigs never stay the same and err on more classic tones. A JCM 800 w/ KT88s, Wizard MTL, and Bogner Uber Ultra are on the to do list.

That first rig though, is tonal perfection for hard rock. JJ-100 with a Dave installed resonance knob (on the back), Germino with x2 British G12 GBs/x2 British made Mesa V30s, and my grail 1980 Silverbust LP. Only a footswitch added. About as far from the RG/808/5150 rig as you can get, but for what it does do, it completed that tone search.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
As the resident drone/noise/ambient nerd, I don't use any of that metal dweeb nonsense and I haven't used the dirt channel on an amp since 2010, but I have as many reverb pedals as some of you have Used Prestiges. I did play through a Vai Legacy 2 half stack when I was in a post rock band, and the Joe Satriani VOX Time Machine is the longest-standing pedal on my board at this point. Also most of my gear leaves the basement for gigs multiple times a year. Sacrilege, I know. Don't ask why I haven't been banned yet, I'm as surprised as you are.

View attachment 139112View attachment 139113

Eh, not exactly the SSO rig anymore, but I do still have a 5150 2x12. And the MLC V has some 5150 meets Marshall JCM vibes. Still have a KSR, Mini Nightmare, and SLO 30. Only a JEM 77FP so no true RGs. I’ve swung to Dad Hard Rock and OSDM so the rigs never stay the same and err on more classic tones. A JCM 800 w/ KT88s, Wizard MTL, and Bogner Uber Ultra are on the to do list.

That first rig though, is tonal perfection for hard rock. JJ-100 with a Dave installed resonance knob (on the back), Germino with x2 British G12 GBs/x2 British made Mesa V30s, and my grail 1980 Silverbust LP. Only a footswitch added. About as far from the RG/808/5150 rig as you can get, but for what it does do, it completed that tone search.
That Friedman/LP rig is dope.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it is just preponderance of use, I would argue the Peavey 5150 has been overtaken by the EVH 50W models. Guitars are a little harder now since used Prestiges are frickin' pricey compared to once upon a time, Ibanez still looms large though. Boost pedals though are all over the place, TS variants are still popular but Integrated Pre clones are hot, as are any number of other oddball flavors.

For me, it's been some kind of Mark amp for a pretty good while, but lately I've been getting more and more into Marshall tones. I'm currently recording demo tracks with my Axe FX using the TC100 model and the Grind boost model, with a RG7620, so the guitar is still pretty much in the zone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elias_Kapravelos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My main rig has been:
Modded RG1527->audient id22->neural DSP fortin nameless. Don't need much else. I find peace in decent plugins. I'm a guitar player not an amp player.

BillCosby

Reaction score
Schecter Tao 7/Ibanez RG7421XL -> Line 6 HX FX -> Tone X pedal -> Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 -> EVH 5150III 2x12" cabinet

Rex

Reaction score
My rig was something like that, Ibanez rg1527 prestige, Bugera 6262 ( Peavey 6505+ ripoff) a Bad Monkey and other pedals until they were stolen, since the thief I'm a pedalboard amp guy

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Modelling is more viable than a valve amp when you play in a small semi-detached house. I don't play live, but if I did then I would almost certainly own a 6505 / 5150 and have the stereotypical SSO rig.

Main rig (in my "music room"):
Ibanez Prestige* > FM3 (5150/6505/6534 model w/ TS) > Adam A4V studio monitors

Secondary rig (in my living room):
Ibanez Prestige* > Peavey Vypyr (6505/6534 model w/ TS)

I also have a JCM 900 combo and Joyo Vintage Overdrive (TS clone), which I don't use much these days.

*My Ibanez collection:
1x J. Custom RG 6-string (bought new)
2x Prestige RG 6-string (bought new)
2x Prestige RG 6-string (bought used)
2x Prestige S 6-string (bought used)
1x Prestige RGA 6-string (bought used)
1x Prestige RG 7-string (bought used)
1x Prestige RGD 7-string (bought used)
1x Xiphos 6-string (bought used)

Currently, the pickups are:
9x DiMarzio (including four sets of D Activators, which are popular on SSO)
1x Seymour Duncan (Black Winters, which are popular on SSO)
1x BKP (Nailbombs, which at least used to be popular on SSO)

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I’ve been posting on gear forums so long that I just started buying shit to win internet debates.

Amps/Pedals vs Modelers
6 string Vs 7 string
Strat VS Les Paul
Active VS Passive
ToM Vs Standard Vs Floyd Vs Evertune
Germanium Vs Silicone
EL34’s Vs 6L6

But can I make any music with it? That’s also debatable.

IMG_5949.jpeg

adrianb

Reaction score
For as much as the "used prestige into a boosted 5150" is sort of the canonical / traditional SSO rig to me, the Mark series seems to have always had a sizable following here, and I'm here for it.

Was the Dual Rectifier ever an SSO rig?

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
As the resident drone/noise/ambient nerd, I don't use any of that metal dweeb nonsense and I haven't used the dirt channel on an amp since 2010, but I have as many reverb pedals as some of you have Used Prestiges. I did play through a Vai Legacy 2 half stack when I was in a post rock band, and the Joe Satriani VOX Time Machine is the longest-standing pedal on my board at this point. Also most of my gear leaves the basement for gigs multiple times a year. Sacrilege, I know. Don't ask why I haven't been banned yet, I'm as surprised as you are.

That Friedman/LP rig is dope.
TM! It was a dream and some serious luck to put that JJ/LP rig together. Killer deal on the amp and separately on the guitar, which 1) had me questioning it’s authenticity (Gibson says it is) 2) would shock/anger/confuse people if I said how much I got it for. Way under market. But I used to be that RGD7/5153/ENGL cab dude that would fit the old SSO mold in spades. I regret selling that guitar; it was owned by a signed band and professionally set up/cared for.

We need more ambient/noise stuff in this crowd. I’m getting into it as of late thanks to chilling out with age and Blood Incantation. Your presence is appreciated!

bmtf

Hammer time
Reaction score
I got some amp in a box pedals and some Peavey greenback cabs to finally upgrade from the spider III a couple years ago
Was very happy with that but I eventually downsized to a gx130c combo. Sold my tubescreamer ages ago. Won't ever sell the prestiges, kinda have a soft spot for 5150s still but love this ultra mid knob shit