SOILWORK LEAD TONE

• Thread starter JohnnyC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyC

Reaction score
you know the lead tone...the one on predators portrait,natural born chaos, figure number five...and so on.

(finger technique aside)what does soilwork/peter wichersdevin townsend,Fredrik Nordström,Daniel Bergstrand etc do to get "that" sound...

for example...
song of the damn (natural born chaos)
rejection role (figure no5)

i know ampwise a highgain 5150,Mesa,Engl,Krank will get in the ball park but i have a feeling theres something else they add to that to get that tone...is there some chorus/compression settings going on???
i cant really hear any delay trails...but it could be a long delay setting?

im using an eventide timefactor on a ducking delay setting (around 340-440ms) which is not quite there...i dunno...the tone they get its clear,cutting,smooth, yet has this singing quality to it i can put my finger on...

this is the lead sound im craving...live and recorded

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds to me like its boosted slightly with a tubescreamer, it really has that boosted sound to the leads.

Salvation

Reaction score
Well, I don't know everything they did to get their sound, but I have most of it...

Amp Wise- Old School Soilwork used 5150s as their main sound, which could have been augmented by other amplifiers like ENGLs. New School Soilwork uses a variety of Amplifiers, with most of their sound being Kranks, with the possibility of being augmented with the sounds of ENGLs and even Elmwoods.

Fredrik Nordstrom generally used a 5150 in conjunction with an ENGL Savage for the metal bands he produced.

Pedal/Effect Wise- An Ibanez Tubescreamer – I believe the 808 model – is used by Peter Wichers and probably Ola as well. The settings have the drive completely off with plenty of level and tone.

Any delay or reverb we here is probably expensive analog technology; if it isn't then its very high quality digital effects that don't allow us to tell the difference

Guitar Wise- They both used Custom Caparison Angelus Model guitars – Les Paul Killers – for their recordings; They were all loaded with EMGs (I think 81/85 combination); Ola kept the 24.75 inch scale model and had it given a gloss finish (detracts from the low end), with a rosewood fingerboard (softer, smoother attack); Peter moved the guitar to have a 25.5 inch scale and also had it given a gloss finish. They both used extremely heavy gauge strings for recording, with a .70 on the low B for Natural Born Chaos.