Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Perge

Reaction score
They have a couple of the x series models that are blacked out in their outlet. Wonder if they're caught before being shipped to the EU for final QA? Or maybe these will just be regular 1 series solars.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 10.44.01 AM.png

And I love his release model. Get to look at his website while checking out whatever is on my new release playlist on Friday mornings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whoman Bean

Pointy only.
Reaction score
Over 2 years ago I bought brand new Jackson Warrior JS32 MIC for below 400$, brought it to a local Guitar Service where three well experienced guys work with guitars for long years and they were all quite shocked how decent neck and fretwork is done. If it wasn't brand new guitar, they would bet it's been professionally sorted by previous owner. Since then I don't give a flying monkey if it's made in Korea, Indonesia or outer space. We all know you can buy a guitar for big money and it can be unplayable with dozen of flaws. Price and country of origin means nothing at all nowadays.

Last edited:

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
Over 2 years ago I bought brand new Jackson Warrior JS32 MIC for below 400$, brought it to a local Guitar Service where three well experienced guys work with guitars for long years and they were all quite shocked how decent neck and fretwork is done. If it wasn't brand new guitar, they would bet it's been professionally sorted by previous owner. Since then I don't give a flying monkey if it's made in Korea, Indonesia or outer space. We all know you can buy a guitar for big money and it can be unplayable with dozen of flaws. Price and country of origin means nothing at all nowadays.
This.

It's a mindset that's driven into teenage new guitarists who don't know any better and then carry the attitude with them into adulthood spreading it to other new kids.

It's never your own fault when your beginner level playing sucks, it's always the fault of your cheap shitty Asian gear.

If only you had the custom shop model personally fondled by fairly paid first world master craftsmen instead of the cheapo Chinese model made in a warehouse full of slaves who couldn't care less if it's playable.

That was me for a long ass time. Spending tons of money on custom guitars and hand made guitars. Being disappointed that none of them lived up to the hype and none of them could match the flawless build quality of my long lost love custom shop KH4.

Then when I stopped having so much money to waste on guitars and was forced to buy cheap Asian imports again, I've found out that what most people here call shit tier is actually quite good.

My first guitar was a mid 1980s Bently Series 10 Flying V bolt on with a thick ass plywood body that weighed a ton. I loved to blame it for my mistakes the first two years I was playing. It actually had a sweet ass neck as my friend's ex green beret dad who picked it up and immediately blew us away shredding Mr Crowley on my shit tier pawn shop guitar told me.

gnoll

Reaction score
What is the deal with these satin black guitars with black fretboards, black pickups, black hardware, black logos, black black black black?

They are fucking EVERYWHERE. And they all look almost exactly the same.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
What is the deal with these satin black guitars with black fretboards, black pickups, black hardware, black logos, black black black black?

I think this says more about the consumer base of metal guitars than about the companies tbh.

Those horn scoops are too deep

blacai

Reaction score

don't know...but I do prefer black black black guitars than the burl poplar tops that flooded all brands ...

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Again something new. The european standard series.

20230911214342-AB6HSvart20-20FRONT20HORIZONTAL.png

Made in Europe
Richlite Fretboard
Luminlay sidedots
Gotoh Bridge
Black Tusq Nut
Blacked out Solar Logo
"Solar hand wired modern" Pickups
Case included

1.999 Euro. Not bad.
That's expensive for an inlay removal and no evertune. Part of the Solar appeal to me was, they made evertune bridges easy to get.

Whoman Bean

Pointy only.
Reaction score

It's all about BGM movement - Black Guitars Matters!

xzacx

Reaction score
That's expensive for an inlay removal and no evertune. Part of the Solar appeal to me was, they made evertune bridges easy to get.
I can't even imagine how many guitars over the years I'd have been willing to pay more for if only they didn't have a bad inlay and/or didn't have an Evertune. This actually seems like a winning strategy for at least a small segment of buyers (although this does have an inlay still, so it doesn't qualify).

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
I can't even imagine how many guitars over the years I'd have been willing to pay more for if only they didn't have a bad inlay and/or didn't have an Evertune. This actually seems like a winning strategy for at least a small segment of buyers (although this does have an inlay still, so it doesn't qualify).
Exactly. The black inlay is just a sneaky way if trying to appease the people who don't like the inlay. Sorry, but I want to play a guitar, not some advertisement plastered with logos that doubles as an instrument.

I like classy understated branding like this.
a8b04cdedbc7395e9e76d9f0ed8fede66b9105.jpg
3edc95b83a86dab3a5b2ec21ca4629c0bbc66f.jpg
48051dcf8232f4da0437438ea35146910feb35.jpg
b12456b060b1f9ca64c14e955c60b10acc24b7.jpg
f995f29a3b7b71219c7137cc86cd80440de956.jpg

xzacx

Reaction score
well, chapman's logo is worse, isn't it?
The degree of bad is kind of inconsequential to me, when it’s a dealbreaker either way. I think Jackson sharkfins look great, for example, but a single one at the 12th fret might as well be an ESP block or one of these, because it kills my interest just the same.

(Looks aside, I do find the Chapman logo to be especially silly from a logistic standpoint, using an infinity symbol to label something with such a specific numeric value.)

ian540s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I looked back at past Solar models and am very surprised there has never been a typical dot inlay fretboard done.
Even a blank board would make a lot of sense for the metal market, but alas, just the logo over and over. Definitely the main reason I am not interested. Otherwise, I really dig their brown stains.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
Frankly, I don’t understand this inlay hate.. really, there are far worse fretboards like Vai's Ibanez Jem, and still people seem to like them.
Actually, it's even worse, imagine that there still are people who like telecasters.. 😂

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Idk I gotta respect the level of steadfast Ola has about not ditching the inlay lmao. Even going as far as making a shadow inlay in his stealth black guitar. That's a kind of petty I can't help but love

Perge

Reaction score
Idk I gotta respect the level of steadfast Ola has about not ditching the inlay lmao. Even going as far as making a shadow inlay in his stealth black guitar. That's a kind of petty I can't help but love
Man found a way to make a new guitar brand full of generic shapes immediately recognizable in the 20's. Knows what he's doing.