Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExplorerMike

60% of the time...it works every time.
Reaction score
A5D76803-EC35-4AC2-BB56-7ED23B191F34.jpeg If anyone is interested in an A1.6 lefty for a killer price in the Dallas/Fort Worth area this is sitting at Sam Ash in Dallas. I stopped in this afternoon on my way home from work and would have bought this in a second but it’s left handed. It’s tagged as used and $550. That’s pretty solid I think. Evertune and the whole deal, super nice guitar for a nice price. Even though I couldn’t buy it due to it being left handed I checked it out for a good bit. Great build quality and this looked brand new. I’m guessing someone didn’t like the Evertune and dumped it. Sweet score for someone! I’ll even waive the finders fee lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
- Man, lefties have it hard in the world of righties.
- Is it easier to live left handed in the world or would it be easier to just learn to be a righty? Deep thoughts.

ExplorerMike

Reaction score
- Man, lefties have it hard in the world of righties.
- Is it easier to live left handed in the world or would it be easier to just learn to be a righty? Deep thoughts.

I hear ya man. My dad is left handed and just started playing guitar. He’s always done everything right handed to avoid having to get lefty/specialty stuff. He’s playing right handed guitars no problem. I would have grabbed this for him if he was actually playing lefty haha.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I hear ya man. My dad is left handed and just started playing guitar. He’s always done everything right handed to avoid having to get lefty/specialty stuff. He’s playing right handed guitars no problem. I would have grabbed this for him if he was actually playing lefty haha.
I'm glad I'm not a lefty. Both my parents are lefty and they actually got held back grades in school because they couldn't be "trained" as righty. Back then apparently being a lefty was a sort of mental disorder or something. Apparently they might have been right looking at recent research findings, plus my parents have always been a bit "odd". It makes me think sometimes. At least it's a good excuse. : )

ExplorerMike

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not a lefty. Both my parents are lefty and they actually got held back grades in school because they couldn't be "trained" as righty. Back then apparently being a lefty was a sort of mental disorder or something. Apparently they might have been right looking at recent research findings, plus my parents have always been a bit "odd". It makes me think sometimes. At least it's a good excuse. : )

Wow that’s crazy man! My dad can be a bit irregular too so there might be something to that haha.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Wow that’s crazy man! My dad can be a bit irregular too so there might be something to that haha.
It's weird. I'm really not poking fun or anything. If you type into Google "lefties have mental disorders" all kinds of stuff comes up. Wierd stuff. Eiher way, I'm glad I don't have to try a thousand time harder to find a good guitar : )

ExplorerMike

Reaction score
It's weird. I'm really not poking fun or anything. If you type into Google "lefties have mental disorders" all kinds of stuff comes up. Wierd stuff. Eiher way, I'm glad I don't have to try a thousand time harder to find a good guitar : )

I’m with ya on that man!

binz

Reaction score
Just randomly checked solar website and saw that gorgeous pink. After that white 2.7 with maple fretboard now this. Solar is killing it (and killing me!) with these, an absolute dream.

Does anybody know if there are plans for a pink 2.7? Wouldn't be a surprise as the same 'happened' with the neon lemon one. I didn't buy the lemon 7 because I already have the lemon 6 and found it kind of lame. I can't justify buying another 6 atm and would rather have a pink 7, but if it's only going to be out as a 6 I would damn myself for missing it.

Headbanger

Reaction score
anyone else seriously dissapointed in the neck of their Solar? I have one of the cheaper A2.6 models and the neck on it is really unstable. Even the lightest hand movement when playing will bend the neck resulting in the strings going out of tune even by 5 cents. Basically it will never play perfectly in tune because of the super flexible neck. The neck is, as far as I know, a 3 piece mahogany neck but my LTD with similar neck doesn't suffer from this problem at all. I really can't recommend buying the non-evertune Solars if they have necks this unstable.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
That to me sounds like a setup issue or hardware issue more than the guitar itself.
I don't know how technical you are, so please don't take offence:
Have you tried adjust the truss rod? Sounds like it may be completely loose and under no tension perhaps?
Are the strings suitable for your tuning? I.e. not 8s tuned to drop G, or 13s tuned up to standard pitch or something mad like that.
Are the locking tuners all locked down sufficiently? Have you put too much string around the tuner post?
I've been following these Solar posts online quite closely and I've not heard this comment from anyone.

Come on SSO, lets get this guitar sorted out!

Metropolis

Reaction score
anyone else seriously dissapointed in the neck of their Solar? I have one of the cheaper A2.6 models and the neck on it is really unstable. Even the lightest hand movement when playing will bend the neck resulting in the strings going out of tune even by 5 cents. Basically it will never play perfectly in tune because of the super flexible neck. The neck is, as far as I know, a 3 piece mahogany neck but my LTD with similar neck doesn't suffer from this problem at all. I really can't recommend buying the non-evertune Solars if they have necks this unstable.

Mine was fine, no complaints about tuning stability, but this one I owned had a three piece maple neck. I'm thinking could too loose truss rod cause this, or rod has some other problem? Maybe you just got unlucky and this particular guitar had very inconsistent woods from the factory. How much you can change the pitch up by bending the neck from headstock without using too much force? I could make lower strings go up about 25 cents with my Ibanez RGR652 which has a reverse headstock. Very non-proof way to do it, but it should tell something. I can't really change the pitch with this guitar by even slapping back of the neck with my thumb.

This if hardware and nut is functioning how they should be and you have string gauges which are suitable for used tuning. Trying out with a new string set could sort out at least one of these.

Headbanger

Reaction score
That to me sounds like a setup issue or hardware issue more than the guitar itself.
I don't know how technical you are, so please don't take offence:
Have you tried adjust the truss rod? Sounds like it may be completely loose and under no tension perhaps?
Are the strings suitable for your tuning? I.e. not 8s tuned to drop G, or 13s tuned up to standard pitch or something mad like that.
Are the locking tuners all locked down sufficiently? Have you put too much string around the tuner post?
I've been following these Solar posts online quite closely and I've not heard this comment from anyone.

Come on SSO, lets get this guitar sorted out!
I've adjusted the truss rod so that the neck is almost dead straight. I'll could tighten it a bit more to see if it makes any difference, but I think the guitar will be unplayable then. No Locking tuners or problems with wraps around the tuners. I use standard gauge strings.
Mine was fine, no complaints about tuning stability, but this one I owned had a three piece maple neck. I'm thinking could too loose truss rod cause this, or rod has some other problem? Maybe you just got unlucky and this particular guitar had very inconsistent woods from the factory. How much you can change the pitch up by bending the neck from headstock without using too much force? I could make lower strings go up about 25 cents with my Ibanez RGR652 which has a reverse headstock. Very non-proof way to do it, but it should tell something. I can't really change the pitch with this guitar by even slapping back of the neck with my thumb.

This if hardware and nut is functioning how they should be and you have string gauges which are suitable for used tuning. Trying out with a new string set could sort out at least one of these.
I'm suspecting the woods used are the problem. I've had this gutiar for a year and changed the strings multiple times. The neck is also straight. I can change the pitch on the low string by 5 cents or bit more when I gently, with very little force, wave the neck back and forth. This is only holding the guitar from the neck. When I'm playing, and my right hand is resting on the guitar body I suspect the pitch change could be more dramatic. It isn't as bad as on your RG, but still something that shouldn't be happening at all.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can't say I've had this problem with either of my Solars whatsoever. The necks on them are rock steady.

The one on my S1.7PB has such a stiff and strong neck that even when under full string tension, the truss rod needs to be used to encourage the neck into a forward bow to give it enough relief. But when there's no truss rod tension and no string tension, the neck is arrow straight.

My Jensen isn't quite that stiff but still, I only need a very small amount of truss rod tension to compensate for a couple of thousanths of relief to get it in the butter zone. Nothing unusual about that.

I dunno man. You seem to be the only one.

Last edited:

natedog_approved

Meatsack
Reaction score
Just randomly checked solar website and saw that gorgeous pink. After that white 2.7 with maple fretboard now this. Solar is killing it (and killing me!) with these, an absolute dream.

Does anybody know if there are plans for a pink 2.7? Wouldn't be a surprise as the same 'happened' with the neon lemon one. I didn't buy the lemon 7 because I already have the lemon 6 and found it kind of lame. I can't justify buying another 6 atm and would rather have a pink 7, but if it's only going to be out as a 6 I would damn myself for missing it.

I'd like to hear more about finding it lame! I've been eyeing the neon lemon since they released, more so the 7 now, but still.

Not too many negative Solar reviews, so I'm curious what you didn't like.

binz

Reaction score
I'd like to hear more about finding it lame! I've been eyeing the neon lemon since they released, more so the 7 now, but still.

Not too many negative Solar reviews, so I'm curious what you didn't like.
Haha misunderstanding mate! I love my 2.6 neon lemon but would have found it lame to get basically the same guitar as a seven (i.e. The 2.7 LN) :)

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

It sounds like you're doing what you can. Maybe hit up Solar and see what they recommend? The only thing I can think is that maybe the neck took on some moisture or wasn't fully dried out before it was built. A 3 piece neck with truss rod regardless of wood type should be stable.

Ola Englund

Reaction score

Sorry to hear about this. Do all strings go out of tune? Would love to bone this out.

Flick

Reaction score
I’m hoping for a 6 string baritone E series with an evertune. I’d like to get a 6 string with 26.5 or 27 scale length. Going to hold out a little while longer to see if there will be an E or V series. I have a few superstrat style guitars and would love to branch out.

LongBlackTie

Reaction score
Looking for a 6 (or 7) string explorer with Floyd ... and options are limited. The Solar E1.6 FRW is on the list. Was doing some research and came across this thread, not knowing much about Solar or Ola beforehand. Specs look good on the E1.6 with stainless steel frets etc. I'm ok with the floyd rose special.

What's the forum opinion on this guitar?
pickups? (I often swap anyway...)
is the explorer body shape same size as traditional Gibson? I'm not a big fan of the smaller explorer body sizes like the Kelly.
neck size? I don't like Ibanez thin, I'm prefer a medium thickness.

thanks all!