Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looking for a 6 (or 7) string explorer with Floyd ... and options are limited. The Solar E1.6 FRW is on the list. Was doing some research and came across this thread, not knowing much about Solar or Ola beforehand. Specs look good on the E1.6 with stainless steel frets etc. I'm ok with the floyd rose special.
It's a 1000 Floyd, not a Special. And with an upgraded big block no less.
What's the forum opinion on this guitar?
pickups? (I often swap anyway...)
is the explorer body shape same size as traditional Gibson? I'm not a big fan of the smaller explorer body sizes like the Kelly.
neck size? I don't like Ibanez thin, I'm prefer a medium thickness.

thanks all!
I own a lot of really nice guitars and the Jensen I own has risen to the top of the pile. It looks fucking killer, sounds savage and it plays and feels absolutely effortless. My only abject criticisms on it is that it's a little on the heavy side at 9.3 pounds, and that the ultra thin open pore finish is a little fragile.

The Duncan Solar pickups sound almost exactly the same as a Duncan Custom 5/59 set. If you know what those pickups sound like, you'll have a good idea of what the Solars sound like too. The majority of people who own these guitars prefer to keep them in.

The E-type bodies that the Solars have are about the same size as a Gibson's. But the Solar E bodies are a lot more ergonomic. They have a heavily sculpted access heel and an arm bevel.

The neck profiles on the Solar guitars are pretty thin but not overly so. The one on my Jensen is about the same thickness as the neck on my Jackson DK2M (according to my calipers) but it's C shaped instead of D shaped.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

manu80

Reaction score
Hi Ola
Will there be a 2020 program or will you still go little series by little series on a sudden basis during the year ?
New shape coming ? ( you know that a star/stealth shape is a must do right ? ;) )
Thx ;)

LongBlackTie

Reaction score
It's a 1000 Floyd, not a Special. And with an upgraded big block no less.

I own a lot of really nice guitars and the Jensen I own has risen to the top of the pile. It looks fucking killer, sounds savage and it plays and feels absolutely effortless. My only abject criticisms on it is that it's a little on the heavy side at 9.3 pounds, and that the ultra thin open pore finish is a little fragile.

The Duncan Solar pickups sound almost exactly the same as a Duncan Custom 5/59 set. If you know what those pickups sound like, you'll have a good idea of what the Solars sound like too. The majority of people who own these guitars prefer to keep them in.

The E-type bodies that the Solars have are about the same size as a Gibson's. But the Solar E bodies are a lot more ergonomic. They have a heavily sculpted access heel and an arm bevel.

The neck profiles on the Solar guitars are pretty thin but not overly so. The one on my Jensen is about the same thickness as the neck on my Jackson DK2M (according to my calipers) but it's C shaped instead of D shaped.

that's really helpful. I'm cool with custom 5 / 59, those are versatile pickups. and I'm happy to hear about the body size.

I'd like to try out the neck based on your comment. Are these sold in B&M stores in the US? What are the ordering options in the US? or I thought I read in this thread they sell direct as well?

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
that's really helpful. I'm cool with custom 5 / 59, those are versatile pickups. and I'm happy to hear about the body size.

I'd like to try out the neck based on your comment. Are these sold in B&M stores in the US? What are the ordering options in the US? or I thought I read in this thread they sell direct as well?
Buying direct from their site is the way to go.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Except the one I'm interested in was cheaper from a major etailer. Maybe site sales get priority, I dunno.
Usually in retail, if you're going to stock the goods of company A, it's not to have them undercut you on their own website, so usually manufacturer sites are as expensive or more than retail shops. That kind of thing is usually covered in distribution contracts.

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
It's weird. I'm really not poking fun or anything. If you type into Google "lefties have mental disorders" all kinds of stuff comes up. Wierd stuff. Eiher way, I'm glad I don't have to try a thousand time harder to find a good guitar : )
I'm a lefty and I genuinely feel like my mind is inside out compared to the righties around me. O_O

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post here!

I just received my A1.6BD Artist.

Fit, finish and setup are all great and overall the guitar is really solid, however I’m somehow disappointed in the looks and body wood matching. I 100% get that wood - especially swamp ash - varies a lot in grain size and shape and with the open pore finish inconsistencies are kinda the thing.

7ID0QMR.jpg

I just feel that deep circular grain pattern around the volume knob sticks out a bit too much especially when the top piece of wood is so understated. In its defence, it makes the guitar unique from all the other open pore Solars I’ve seen.

What do you guys think? Am I being a total dumbass for not getting the beauty of it?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score

Fit, finish and setup are all great and overall the guitar is really solid, however I’m somehow disappointed in the looks and body wood matching. I 100% get that wood - especially swamp ash - varies a lot in grain size and shape and with the open pore finish inconsistencies are kinda the thing.

7ID0QMR.jpg

I just feel that deep circular grain pattern around the volume knob sticks out a bit too much especially when the top piece of wood is so understated. In its defence, it makes the guitar unique from all the other open pore Solars I’ve seen.

What do you guys think? Am I being a total dumbass for not getting the beauty of it?
Eh, I really don't see a big deal here, especially since it also looks like you took a picture from an angle that emphasizes the grain. Much like burl tops, ash wood has major variations. For most, that's what makes it unique and loved so much.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Eh, I really don't see a big deal here, especially since it also looks like you took a picture from an angle that emphasizes the grain. Much like burl tops, ash wood has major variations. For most, that's what makes it unique and loved so much.

Yeah, I know it’s not an imperfection, I’m just being one really critical mofo. I’ll hopefully get used to it pretty quickly, it’s just something I didn’t expect, lol.

iCX8jTL.jpg

This is the angle where the grain shows the least.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it’s not an imperfection, I’m just being one really critical mofo. I’ll hopefully get used to it pretty quickly, it’s just something I didn’t expect, lol.

iCX8jTL.jpg

Alright I see now and I could definitely see how that would bother you. I think it would bother me a little bit at first, but after some time I feel that you will get used to it and maybe even like it more for being so unique. I mean in a way, that's extremely one of a kind which makes it really cool in my eyes. It definitely wouldn't make me want to return it or anything.

ICSvortex

0-0-0-1
Reaction score

7ID0QMR.jpg

ooof thats a rough one...
i personally couldnt get used to this.
I would email them and ask if you could get another one... even if it costs you 1 way shipping i'd be wort it for me.
But if you're into unique looking woods and guitars, maybe it would be a keeper.

But dang, i'd send that straight back

Metropolis

Reaction score

7ID0QMR.jpg

I don't really fancy that look... it's uneven in a wrong way in my eyes. Like body is split in half or something :ugh:

natedog_approved

Meatsack
Reaction score

7ID0QMR.jpg

Yeah man, I couldn't dig that. From what I hear Solar is pretty understanding about returns. Though this is purely aesthetic, it's still worth asking to exchange. If you want to, that is.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Returning it isn’t a problem, I live in Europe so I can take advantage of the 14 day no questions asked return policy.

Too bad they look to be out of this model at the moment. I was debating between the A1.6FB and this though when ordering, so if I end up returning it I might choose that instead.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score

iCX8jTL.jpg

That's a hard pass for me. I hope you end up with a solar you love.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

7ID0QMR.jpg

It looks wierd, but why shame it for it's birthmark? It can't help it was made that way. : ) Seriously, It seems that if anything it should have been on the back not the front.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
It looks wierd, but why shame it for it's birthmark? It can't help it was made that way. : ) Seriously, It seems that if anything it should have been on the back not the front.

I thought the same when I inspected it. Especially when the grain pattern on the back is more consistent and even.

qAZN5Ik.jpg

Latest posts