Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good to hear. I think Solar is my next guitar and came to this thread to ask about this.

I couldn't care less about the peeling logo, but the cracked fret boards worried me.

Oh I totally forgot, both my logos are 'peeling', too. It's such a non-issue I rarely notice. It's under the finish so it's basically bubbles over the logo, you can't feel them or move them or anything and to be fair it looks quite cool.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Amenthea

Reaction score
Oh I totally forgot, both my logos are 'peeling', too. It's such a non-issue I rarely notice. It's under the finish so it's basically bubbles over the logo, you can't feel them or move them or anything and to be fair it looks quite cool.

Wait, is that the fretboard logo? I was going to ask about that yesterday, as I didn't know if it was a full inlay or just a sticker thing on top. I was looking at the maple fingerboard and stuff on top does tend to show up more than the darker boards.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wait, is that the fretboard logo? I was going to ask about that yesterday, as I didn't know if it was a full inlay or just a sticker thing on top. I was looking at the maple fingerboard and stuff on top does tend to show up more than the darker boards.

As NoodleFace said, the headstock logo, it's a common issue to the point that if yours doesn't peel that is the anomaly. The inlays on mine are done really quite well without any dodgy glue around it or anything noticeable, which is a nice surprise considering the issues they've been having.

Yeah. Because who cares of logos peeling off in 1000$ guitars :lol:

Fortunately you need to really look for it, if you're more than 6 inches away from the logo you can't really see it. It's annoying but it is what it is. The guitars are absolutely effortless to play and I need all the help I can get so I can deal with some logo peelage :D

Bender.folder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Snagged a used E1.6ET after selling my gibson explorer.
So far liking it but evertune is curious. The scale is gibsonish but same gauge gives freaking more tension. Now mounted 9s for Eb tuning but its a little slack... Evertune seems to get tension more even than tune o matic so might need a custom set instead of my usual ones..

Set up was pretty much troublesome. Some saddle got stuck, 9s are barely enough tension so I'd need custom low tension modules but it locked in zone2 though. Im a bit bothered sticking another 100€ to get two ,modules for tension to be even..Other guitars sometimes need pro set up or fiddling around but dont need additional parts. Evertune was bonus and price was good and I'd liked to try it. Would not buy again with ET. Good locking tuners and good quality bridge is enough. Turning a tuning peg at home sometimes doesnt hurt to me. Also dont know why my D string saddle got almost no travel to adjust action. No response from evertune and nothing helpful from solar just standard commercial answer..

Neck is rounded C but not too thick, id say a tad close to a slim taper and slimmer than my 59 shaped explorer neck but same round profile. Lacks a cutaway or carved bevel on front; it pointier than a gibson and gets in your ribs while seating.

Pickups are really good on this one. The maple neck gives clarity and the sound is punchy and clear. had a previous V from first series. Neck was meatier but full mahogany which tended to mush things out when detuned and lacked punch. Dunno if they altered the winding or wire used.

I found those duncan solars hotter than the V I had and the 7 string version on my ex A2.7 .

Third solar so far; good metal guitars almost ready to play when delivered and nice features for the price.

SS frets are well done, on par with my KM7 from korea; except for some small tools dents on the last frets but nothing really bothering.

Overall satisfied but still find I get to fiddle alot more on neck; setup than with even cheap american or japan made guitars to achieve low action and evertune didnt wow me. I get why most here advise it more to touring or studio musicians rather than home guitarists ;).

Its a nice feature but not a must have indeed.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I find your views intriguing, please subscribe me to your newsletter.
upload_2021-9-15_8-53-18.jpeg
i run an honest rag filled with political truthiness but the back pages is all geared to guitarists with insightful tidbits like “are metal knobs better than plastic for 500k potentiometers?” and “Can you do jazz metal on a tele strung with 9’s without an ebony board?” Hard hitting and helpful is my motto. And always truthy.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Snagged a used E1.6ET after selling my gibson explorer.
So far liking it but evertune is curious. The scale is gibsonish but same gauge gives freaking more tension. Now mounted 9s for Eb tuning but its a little slack... Evertune seems to get tension more even than tune o matic so might need a custom set instead of my usual ones..

Set up was pretty much troublesome. Some saddle got stuck, 9s are barely enough tension so I'd need custom low tension modules but it locked in zone2 though. Im a bit bothered sticking another 100€ to get two ,modules for tension to be even..Other guitars sometimes need pro set up or fiddling around but dont need additional parts. Evertune was bonus and price was good and I'd liked to try it. Would not buy again with ET. Good locking tuners and good quality bridge is enough. Turning a tuning peg at home sometimes doesnt hurt to me. Also dont know why my D string saddle got almost no travel to adjust action. No response from evertune and nothing helpful from solar just standard commercial answer..

Neck is rounded C but not too thick, id say a tad close to a slim taper and slimmer than my 59 shaped explorer neck but same round profile. Lacks a cutaway or carved bevel on front; it pointier than a gibson and gets in your ribs while seating.

Pickups are really good on this one. The maple neck gives clarity and the sound is punchy and clear. had a previous V from first series. Neck was meatier but full mahogany which tended to mush things out when detuned and lacked punch. Dunno if they altered the winding or wire used.

I found those duncan solars hotter than the V I had and the 7 string version on my ex A2.7 .

Third solar so far; good metal guitars almost ready to play when delivered and nice features for the price.

SS frets are well done, on par with my KM7 from korea; except for some small tools dents on the last frets but nothing really bothering.

Overall satisfied but still find I get to fiddle alot more on neck; setup than with even cheap american or japan made guitars to achieve low action and evertune didnt wow me. I get why most here advise it more to touring or studio musicians rather than home guitarists ;).

Its a nice feature but not a must have indeed.

You don't need low tension saddles for En with 9s on that guitar. Check videos on YouTube about how to setup the ET bridge. I have set up mine with 9s in D with the standard saddles, plenty of room to intonate, tune and move around zone 1 and 2. You just need some adjustment.

Bender.folder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey. Thanks for the tip. I managed to adjust the high 9s 11s and 16s into zone 3 without much hassle. Its the D saddle tuned to c# that i cant get much Travel to adjust string height.
Ill still get a custom 10s set to get a hint more tension.
Otherwise very satisfied . Sounds meatier and more defined than my Gibson explorer .
Might change pickups for something a hint but more biting in bridge but not that sure . The clarity is Nice and it chugs. Its more on intense picking and fast pull offs that it lacks a bit bite imho.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Well you certainly can, I just don't

Yeah, mine’s peeling, like maybe 2mm around a couple spots. Couldn’t care less. I bought it from the outlet store because I tiny little dent in it, which I probably put more of in it when setting it up last night.

My guitars get beat to shit, I couldn’t care less about something like that.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Got this beast in yesterday and it’s EASILY my new favorite guitar!

Tdn9pQ9.jpeg

I bought it from the outlet store because this tiny little 1mm ding next to a pickup that you practically need a magnifying glass to see. This thing is THE SHIT!!!

My first experience with an Evertune and I’m totally sold/in love with it. Took me 25 minutes to get it set up in drop C. I didn’t stretch the strings at all, just put them on, tuned it up, intonated it and then started playing these big ass bends to see if I could knock it out of tune. Nope! Incredible!

I’ve been in love with the Fishman Devin Townsend pickups I put in an Ibanez SZ and was thinking I’d end up putting a set in this, but man, I’m REALLY impressed with these pickups! I tracked some guitars for some songs I’m working on, just to hear how they’d compare to the tracks I already put down and there’s a good chance I’m going to re-record the majority of my album with this guitar.

vAoexVW.jpeg

Even getting into the more Friedman/Cantrell/Mastodon tones, it still sounds fucking great!

I’m sold enough that I know the next 3-4 guitars I buy are going to be Solars. These fill the void that 90’s MIJ Ibanez’s left behind, for me. Price point and quality are in the same region, or cheaper. Sure, the logo is lifting off by 1-2mm’s, but I don’t give a single shit. If anything, it looks more like highlights around the edge of it. I literally only give a shit about the way it plays and if it were above $1500, I might gripe. For $1100, IDGAF.

Getting a 7-string next, just not sure which one yet. I might just get the 7-string version of this, but I’d really like an A/AB type as well.

The look on my face when I pulled it out of the case and strummed an open G….the damn thing was perfectly in tune after coming to Florida from Spain. It went through several temp changes on the way down here and was still dead nuts in tune. Fuckin’ crazy.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Oh FFS, fuck it. At least the pics are showing up now.

I'm straight up in love with this thing! Evertune works like a charm and it's AWESOME to just rip through a recording without fucking tuning once!

Tonally, I'm digging the pickups more than I thought I would and they're going to stay. Less output and more lower mids, but fuckin' rippin! If there were ever a guitar that 100% deserves to be called a riff machine, it's this thing.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
Oh FFS, fuck it. At least the pics are showing up now.

I'm straight up in love with this thing! Evertune works like a charm and it's AWESOME to just rip through a recording without fucking tuning once!

Tonally, I'm digging the pickups more than I thought I would and they're going to stay. Less output and more lower mids, but fuckin' rippin! If there were ever a guitar that 100% deserves to be called a riff machine, it's this thing.
Wasn't showing up so copy/pasted a lower res image below, love the flame! I've never liked playing Explorers, my picking hand always manages to sit too high on the lower left horn.
upload_2021-9-27_13-43-17.png