Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One of my childhood friends became one... RIP, basically...
Aye. Huh, didnt expect it considering the fairly short discography, some of which is pretty straight alt metal.

I think I was 13 or 14 when I found out about the Fibonacci sequence thing and told maybe two people who were like "oh cool" and that was the extent of our collective enthusiasm.

Idk. Besides the fact prog existed long before and outside of Tool, there's all the other places people have taken odd times and polymeters. Even the Fibonacci etc stuff, its semi random number selection which other people have done a million other times. What was your first girlfriends phone number? What's the license plate number of the first car you see in the morning? Etc.

I like the music actually, but I don't really get "that" appeal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I like the music actually, but I don't really get "that" appeal.
I think it's just because they were, at least from what I can remember, the only mainstream band that was like that. I knew about Tool way before I knew what a concept album was, or about Dream Theater or any other proggy bands doing weird shit. So they were probably a lot of people's first foray into music that was a little scrambled like that. And you know how it is when you find something 'new,' you get enthusiastic; and a lot of people like to share that enthusiasm. It's probably also why the Tool fan meme doesn't seem to be as applicable today as it was 15 years ago.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I had a local music scene acquaintance come up to me after one of my post rock band's first shows years ago and tell me guiltily, with a kind of coy look on her face, that she used to be a big tool nerd in high school. She also told me we kinda sounded like A silver mt zion. It was on the whole a rather wholesome interaction.

Another time, more recently, I had a guy come up to me after a set and be like "cool riffs, have you heard of a band called tool?" :lol::lol::lol:

The guy I learned to play guitar with as a teenager had this hardcore stoner older brother who used to hang out and smoke weed and would only ever stfu about how deep and amazing and mathematical tool is when we would get Diablo 2 going to keep him occupied so we could practice.
As someone's older brother whose core teen memories involve, among other things, listening to tool and playing Diablo 2, this resonates.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Am I the only one who never encountered one of these stereotypical Tool fans?
I think it's possible if you're not associated with Tool/Maynard fanbois.

I think they only exist online.
I knew plenty in real life, especially after Lateralus came out. Some of them were insufferable.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I knew plenty in real life, especially after Lateralus came out. Some of them were insufferable.
Yep. That was when my friend "turned..." I really enjoyed Lateralus but I feel kind of vulnerable admitting it, mostly because I don't want to be associated with "those" fans and the related preconceptions. :lol:

Like, I listened to the album occasionally. No additional layers, the end.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I really like Tool's videos, especially those from the 90s.

I think the albums are boring. I liked the last one though, I listen to it once in a while.

I don't know any fan of the band. Fans of things are usually annoying, regardless of the thing. Also people who consume above average music, art or whatever tend to think that they are smart because of what they consume. They aren't. And if they are it's not (only) because of that.

Sometimes not even the artist who creates said art is as intelligent as one would think.