Some odd 7 and 8 string bands?

• Thread starter Timotei00125
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Timotei00125

Prog Man
Reaction score
What are some cool 7 and 8 string bands? Like with some unique features... ambience, clean guitar, idk just weird. I'm not in the mood for shred stuff lately so I wanna find some cool other stuff(btw no deathcore please)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Check out M.A.N, they use 11 string guitars and 7 strings with microtonal frets (48 frets).

Black_tear

Reaction score
Would be interesting to hear it with less distortion to percieve the microtones better, like this doesn't sound that much different.
I'd give that guitar to Tosin but we might all kill ourselves before, it would be the end of all hope for guitarists :ugh:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
This could be interesting if some stuff came up. I am in the club of not interested in a 7 for chugga chugga (I want to see how I can extend chords ,*evil rubbing together of palms*)

Timotei00125

Prog Man
Reaction score
M.A.N. sounded pretty good but I agree that would be so much cooler with clean guitars. At least have a little clean guitar part thrown in. But otherwise sweet idea.

And yeah I'm just done with Chugs and Shredding. I mean AAL is one of very few 8 and 7 string bands I listen to anymore. MEshuggah got old to me and bands like Textures or Periphery just aren't the same anymore.

Sikth is pretty cool. I guess I'm looking for more unique bands or something. Too bad 7 and 8 strings seem to always be bound to a certain genre(first it was nu metal and shredding, now it's djent and more shredding lol)

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score

Terrible sound quality, but here's Negură Bunget with some odd ambient black folk-metal on sevens. Vaguely hypnotic, seeing them live was a strange experience.

Gothberg

I'm a rookie, eh?
Reaction score
Scale The Summit , if you like progressive instrumental bands that is

Kaos-G

Reaction score
Try Chaos Venture. It's a band I play guitar in. We play a mixture of instrumental ambient, electronic progressive with 3 keyboard players and of course 7 string guitars. Only 2 songs out for now, but the album is coming soon.
Here's the page with the streaming (we're on Spotify, iTunes, Amazon etc. aswell):
Chaos Venture on Napster

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
Not odd in the sense you're looking for, but odd in the sense of "WTF...THEY use 8-strings?"...apparently GWAR uses 8-strings now...at least for the song Sick of You. And it seems to be an incredibly recent development...I found a video from October 2nd and they didn't, but they did when I saw them on the 15th.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's John Mayer playing a Novax 8-string.

Charlie Hunter (who I think was the one who hooked Mayer up with said Novax):

Not actually a 7-string, but a creative use of the low B... Joe Bonamassa with a JP6 tuned to B standard. Seems like it would be easy enough to adapt to a 7 :)

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Leave it to the japanese then ;)

Dude, I love when you post the japanese stuff here, although I'm a fan of rock made in Japan I'm a little behind the times it seems. Can you recommend some more stuff like this? Although I know High and Mighty Color I don't know too many songs and all of the bands you showed in the other threads are also kickass. :metal:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, I love when you post the japanese stuff here, although I'm a fan of rock made in Japan I'm a little behind the times it seems. Can you recommend some more stuff like this? Although I know High and Mighty Color I don't know too many songs and all of the bands you showed in the other threads are also kickass. :metal:

Glad to be of help, mate! :) High & Mighty Color (who recently disbanded, unfortunately) used 7-strings for everything, always have (to my knowledge), so you can just check them out on youtube. Their earlier stuff is more Korn-like and heavier, sometimes with power metal influences, whereas the new stuff is overall a little more like standard J-pop. They changed their singer in the end and I haven't listened too much but they seemed to get heavier with the new singer.

Old stuff:

Then it went to this :lol: Not even remotely heavy but damn catchy on the other hand:

With the new singer: