Song recorded on free VSTs and Superior Drummer. Have a listen and review

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely loved how it started!! I was thinking how well it would even sound in a movie as a soundtrack. Wasn't too keen on the meedly meedly that soon followed but that's just me and my style interests. The guitars sound pretty good tone wise but they are too dark, a bit muffled sounding. They need to be brightened up a bit. Overall though the production is quite damn excellent :yesway:. Very impressed bro.

Rev.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
this is cool man :D, Im digging the song, but the overall mix sounds dark as Fvck, can't think of a solution though :(

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
givin it another spin, could you tell me what the hell are you doing at 3:11? (arrangment and chord wise) you have this wall of sound kind of thing and I really like it :D (the solo is sick too)

with a more polished mix this will be sick :)

gauravjeet

Reaction score
I agree with the need for a better mix but this is a lot better than previous shit we were doing. Ok for the wall of sound, two guitars panned L/R doing the large chords, one synth fill for the same chords in the center, bass and one ambient kind of lead fill that uses a lot of reverb, delay. All the effects can be achieved with the effects in your DAW. Thanks for taking the time out man. :)

gauravjeet

Reaction score
Thanks for listening :). I agree on the meedly kind of pop vibe there. I guess some harsh vocals may do the job to make it more metchul (If that is what you meant).

MrCthulhu

Reaction score
Personally I think the lead tone is pushed way to far to the top of the mix, and way too loud. The kick needs to be beefed up a bit. And yes, the rhythm guitars are very muffled. Has nothing to do with your playing, that is all great.

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
The intro would have been so much cooler if it wasn't already at the max headroom of your mix.

You've got the volume cranked for that part, and even though the transitions should be really cool, there aren't any dynamics so it doesn't feel like much happened.

After an intro like that you want the listener to feel like they got punched in the face when the guitars come in. (at least thats what I wanted) :)

You need to work on the levels of instruments, and make sure that you leave around 18db of headroom above all of your tracks for when you go to mix it. That way you can have dynamics for your intros and softer sections.

as far as the song, i like it, theres some really cool stuff in there, so keep it up!

I like the solo at 3:00 alot, the tones you have around there work nicely too.

gauravjeet

Reaction score
So what you are saying is that the volume of the intro should be a little less than the whole track? Or did you not get the in your face feeling because of the rhythm tone

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
Yes the intro is too loud compared to the song, the song will seem louder (and better) when its compared to an intro that is a bit quieter. Think Tesseract Concealing Fate part 1. When the instruments come in after the intro it really hits you, and everything feels much bigger because of the comparison to the intro.

You should mess with the levels of everything. In the future you should have every track around -18db before you start mixing, that way you have a lot of room to work with. Even if things seem too quiet while mixing, thats ok. You just want to have everything balanced. You can worry about overall volume once you get to mastering.

gauravjeet

Reaction score
We used FL Studio's 3x oscillator for most of the part. If you want a lot of tweaking then use this and there are a lot of tutorials for it on youtube. Also if you want less work you can get atmospheric sounds in FL Studio's Sytrus and if you have Cubase as your DAW there are a lot of VST instruments preloaded which can do a pretty good job. Moreover you can also look for lessons by ForTiorl (Johnny) on this topic. He uses Kore Player by Native Instruments.

rickrockpark

Reaction score
The intro would have been so much cooler if it wasn't already at the max headroom of your mix.

You've got the volume cranked for that part, and even though the transitions should be really cool, there aren't any dynamics so it doesn't feel like much happened.

After an intro like that you want the listener to feel like they got punched in the face when the guitars come in. (at least thats what I wanted) :)

You need to work on the levels of instruments, and make sure that you leave around 18db of headroom above all of your tracks for when you go to mix it. That way you can have dynamics for your intros and softer sections.

as far as the song, i like it, theres some really cool stuff in there, so keep it up!

I like the solo at 3:00 alot, the tones you have around there work nicely too.
We kept a headroom of about 7-8 Db but were hesitant about leaving more space as we wanted the the mastered track to be loud. We referred many tutorials on how to win the 'loudness wars' without compromising with dynamics and quality of the song. However, on putting a maximizer ( which is basically a kind of limiter I guess) to make the song louder, we felt that it was degrading the quality of the mix and messing up the dynamics after a stage. So we ended up with increasing the levels of the track to about -4 to - 8 DB.

Also I noticed that before applying compression and limiting on the mix the dynamic range was about 14 (which is considered descent according to some sources on the internet). However after compression and limiting it went down to about 5. We then compared it with some Periphery, Syosis tracks and even their dynamic range was about 4-7.

So that lack of dynamics could be due to the compression? Also could you suggest how could we reduce the levels to about -18 DB and still come up with a loud track, without having to worry about the dynamics and quality?

BTW you insight of the song is magnificent. You saw right through the mix ;)

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
happy to help guys! I'm pretty new myself, so it helps me out trying to explain this stuff too :)

as far as "loudness" is concerned, it doesn't matter what volume you're at before mastering. even if your mix is at -20 and you're done mixing, once you get to mastering you can bring up the volume there using basically any plugin with naked settings but just use it to increase the gain.

the main benefit to mixing with more headroom is to avoid clipping individual tracks. but you'll also be able to use it for song dynamics if you need to.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
don't worry about loudness until you master, you just want a good balance during mixing.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android