Songs you enjoy playing

• Thread starter bjgrifter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bjgrifter

Djentleman, Esq.
Reaction score
So, what songs are you folks having fun playing/learning?

Right now, I'm on an Amaranthe kick, and winging the bass line, and same with radio rock stuff like Papa Roach.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CerealKiller

Reaction score
I'm practicing Greg Howe's Button Up. Soooo many cool licks in there, and the swing feel is always a challenge for me to get right, especially his vibrato always throws me off time.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
God I've been having so much fun playing Lateralus and 10000 Days, learned basically both albums and they just are so fucking fun to riff out to.

Only band I learn material from is Tool, and some Polyphia stuff I've been known to ear out...

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Brad Paisley's Ticks.
Black Betty- Ram Jam
Ratt-Wanted Man

They're all just super fun songs to play

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
My own songs are always a million times more fun than anything else.

Same. As I became more confident in my playing over the years, the desire to learn covers dropped to basically zero. I think the stuff I write kicks ass and I wouldn't have kept playing this long if I thought otherwise.

Also, to really do a cover song justice is a lot of work, probably more than whoever wrote it put in because they were just doing what came naturally, so to do a good cover you either have to mimic what comes naturally to someone who isn't you, or truly make it your own, neither of which is easy to pull off. I'd rather just feed all that hard work back into developing my own voice/material.

That said, I do have a short set of strumalong favorites I whip out for open mics from time to time.

Anthony Wakeford wrote this song and it's come to light that he's a fucking nazi, but Agalloch are not nazis, and their cover is better anyway. I loved playing this song every year after winter solstice before I found out about Wakeford. I still love playing it but don't really play it outside the house anymore on the off chance that somebody who knows about Wakeford either thinks I'm A) a nazi asshole who needs to be punched in the face or B) down with their nazi shit.