spilled some water/tea on my guitar...

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I was practicing my guitar and while taking a sip of tea I accidentally spilled some onto the guitar. The tea got the neck joint, and onto the fretboard (maple).
I dried it off with a paper tissue, so the tea was only there for a few seconds, but I'm a bit worried if the tea could cause some damage since it got right to the neck/body joint where it could have sunk in, it also got onto the fretboard right alongside a fret where it also could have sunk into the wood right where the fret is seated.
How serious is something like this? I dried off the tea as much as I could but what about the tea that may have sunk into the body/neck joint or into the fretboard right under the fret?
Am I worried too much (OCD getting the best of me...lol) or is this a serious concern and could that tea cause some damage?

thanks!
Lars

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I'd think normally it should be fine. I'd still take it apart to clean it up though. If you don't you will go OCD crazy. Just knowing that little bit of tea is in there. It could stain something or be sticky. It's just not right.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Disassemble (remove the neck) and let it air dry for a day or two. Eventually, put an hair drier in the mix...?

I'd think normally it should be fine. I'd still take it apart to clean it up though. If you don't you will go OCD crazy. Just knowing that little bit of tea is in there. It could stain something or be sticky. It's just not right.

Thanks, guys!
Well, it was just a very thin herbal tea, no milk, no sugar, basically water, it won't leave stains or stickiness. Also, it was really only like a few drops or (half) a sip, not a whole lot ....
TBH I'd be very scared taking the neck off ...

Last edited:

Zhysick

Reaction score
Worst thing could happen is, because is maple, the wood can get a bit of a different colour. You know, natural dye. Just that. It will naturally dry out at some point. I wouldn't even worry or think about it ever again.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
The fretboard should be finished if it's maple, so nothing will penetrate. And the neck heel is also finished, the walls of the neck pocket will be painted as well. The only bare surface is most likely the bottom of the neck pocket, and the chances of tea getting in there without soaking for awhile is unlikely. The frets are most likely glued in as well. I think you're good, but if it worries you that much just remove the neck and give the pocket a good wipe down. But really, unless you drink tea by the gallon and let the spill soak for a good while, you're fine.

Reaction score
penis-hilton-yaaaasss-bitch-spill-that-tea-42725806.png

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Worst thing could happen is, because is maple, the wood can get a bit of a different colour. You know, natural dye. Just that. It will naturally dry out at some point. I wouldn't even worry or think about it ever again.

Thanks!

The fretboard should be finished if it's maple, so nothing will penetrate. And the neck heel is also finished, the walls of the neck pocket will be painted as well. The only bare surface is most likely the bottom of the neck pocket, and the chances of tea getting in there without soaking for awhile is unlikely. The frets are most likely glued in as well. I think you're good, but if it worries you that much just remove the neck and give the pocket a good wipe down. But really, unless you drink tea by the gallon and let the spill soak for a good while, you're fine.

Thank you!

oh, look! it seems we have a little comedian here among us :D

I think I have spilled beer on every guitar I own, just a bit though. It will be fine.

thanks!

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Beat it to the punch. Dip your entire guitar body in a bathtub full of tea for those '59 Fender Strat stains, good vibes & great smells when you put it back together.

Use reverse psychology next time. Don't wait for a spill to come to you, bring your guitar to the spill first. Seriously, it should be fine from the sounds of it though. Someone spilled a bit of water on my guitar without anything happening before.