SS.org mobile phone app

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Good news, an SS.org android app is currently in progress! :hbang:

I've always wanted a mobile app to browse SS.org and I started learning android development back in the spring and a few weeks ago I decided to take a stab at making a SS.org app of my own, kind of just as a proof of concept type of thing. So far everything I have tried to implement is working as far as I can tell and I plan on fully implementing it as a complete app, unless I run into any problems. Just wanna let the community know in case anyone was in my shoes and wanted a SS.org app to use! :yesway:

MODS: if this is against any forum policies or anything please let me know. obviously I haven't released anything for anyone else to use because its just a prototype at this point, but I don't wanna piss anyone off!

If anyone is interested in helping me design the app and has any UI design or photoshop/fireworks/etc experience PM me! I could use some help making it look sleek and sexy.

Also, for those of you wondering, if I can complete the android version as a 100% fully working app I do plan on making an iPhone version, possibly a windows phone version as well if there is any interest.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At this point in smart phones with androids having larger and larger screens what benefits would an app have over a browser (chrome) on android?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad to see someone actually doing something, not just demanding it. :agreed:

Though, I think before you move any further you should talk to the site's owner and admin. Here's his profile, though I suggest also e-mailing him.

Sevenstring.org - View Profile: Alex

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice! Iv asked about this before.

Il be sure to keep an eye out for it

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
At this point in smart phones with androids having larger and larger screens what benefits would an app have over a browser (chrome) on android?

Ease of use mainly. I for one have fat, stupid fingers and things like using Safari are tiny vs. say, Tapatalk/WAP sites where you can browse by section and the title doesnt require me to zoom in 1000x is a world of difference. Plus, have you ever not zoomed in when try to change the page on your phones browser and hit the "view like" button over, and over, and over, AND OVER? It's awful.

There's a reason apps like Tapatalk, ForumRunner, etc... were made - to make browsing forums easier. So why not use them?

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Praise the lord!

....... But who is your lord?:lol:

It will be great to have this. Typing any post on this is a pain in the ass, especially if I need to just click on where I want to type. It highlights an entire word instead. And hopefully this will make it easier to keep up with the PBL.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ease of use mainly. I for one have fat, stupid fingers and things like using Safari are tiny vs. say, Tapatalk/WAP sites where you can browse by section and the title doesnt require me to zoom in 1000x is a world of difference. Plus, have you ever not zoomed in when try to change the page on your phones browser and hit the "view like" button over, and over, and over, AND OVER? It's awful.

There's a reason apps like Tapatalk, ForumRunner, etc... were made - to make browsing forums easier. So why not use them?

Ah you poor iPhone saps and that 3.5" screen :lol:

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
lol don't need to see/ touch a screen to type, I can just tell Siri to tell you to get lost. :)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Ah you poor iPhone saps and that 3.5" screen :lol:

Eh, I'll take an aesthetically pleasing and easy to use OS at the cost of a slightly smaller screen :shrug: Although I'll probably switch when it's time to upgrade just to see what's out there or if there isn't anything, then I'll stick with it.

Aftermath1

Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy Note - 5.3" screen, come at me bro!

TasmanSam

Reaction score
Galaxy SIII, 4.8" screen, works great for web browsing ;)

I would be all over an app though, I practically live on this forum :lol:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
^Been eying the SIII's and the new RAZR's. Once my contract is up in a year and a half I'm ditching this iPhone and trying out an android. I like my iPhone but there are a bunch of stupid little bugs that go on randomly and some things just bug me about it. And I feel like a pretentious douche. :lol:

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
^Been eying the SIII's and the new RAZR's. Once my contract is up in a year and a half I'm ditching this iPhone and trying out an android. I like my iPhone but there are a bunch of stupid little bugs that go on randomly and some things just bug me about it. And I feel like a pretentious douche. :lol:

Droid RAZR is the shit. I've got one, love the hell out of it. I do recommend going for the MAXX variation, its a bit thicker, but that extra battery life is needed.

OT: Can't wait for this, navigating this site can be a slight pain at times :lol:

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Thanks for the support everyone! I'm not working on it 24/7 or anything close to that, at this point its still just a side project or hobby I guess. But if I can get a :yesway: from the site owner and everything I plan on making a kick ass mobile app (iPhone version included).

My thoughts exactly. Sure you can go into a native phone browser and get the job done just fine, but IMHO a phone app tailored to show you what you want in a clean easy to use interface is much, much more convenient to use. Plus I'm trying to learn all I can about mobile apps so why not! :lol: