SSO: Deep Thoughts

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Reading about Torlon and thinking the name could be used for a 50's Sci-Fi character......then I thought about Krylon and the same.......I might be stuck on this watching for new candidates for years now.

Reaction score
-As you get older your world dies around you in real time. The world begins to look more and more foreign to what you remember because you're a relic of a dead age that will soon take you with it.

-You ever wonder how often you frequent the place of your death never realizing that's where it's gonna happen and it'll be the last thing you see?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
-As you get older your world dies around you in real time. The world begins to look more and more foreign to what you remember because you're a relic of a dead age that will soon take you with it.

-You ever wonder how often you frequent the place of your death never realizing that's where it's gonna happen and it'll be the last thing you see?
Did you also watch “children ruin everything” the death episode?

Speaking of, “sleep like a baby” means being up at least 5x a nigjt fyi

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score

I guess that’s one way of looking at it.

But what about as you get older you see the birth of new generations, of new ideas, and of new technologies that we can embrace to make the world look more and more familiar to what we relate to because hopefully we will be the relic of a new age we can positively influence with our legacy.

Reaction score
I guess that’s one way of looking at it.

But what about as you get older you see the birth of new generations, of new ideas, and of new technologies that we can embrace to make the world look more and more familiar to what we relate to because hopefully we will be the relic of a new age we can positively influence with our legacy.
Shut up, Meg

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score

Yeah.

I haven't wondered that although I have wondered when at certain places and/ or doing certain things.. will this be the last time that I'll be here, or see this person, or do this thing. KInda similar I guess.

Just comes with the territory when you're in failing health with no children and limited family... no younger generations to have a connection with or to have any influence over... pretty much cancels out what jax is suggesting. Differing circumstances/ differing perspectives.

Reaction score
Yeah.

I haven't wondered that although I have wondered when at certain places and/ or doing certain things.. will this be the last time that I'll be here, or see this person, or do this thing. KInda similar I guess.

Just comes with the territory when you're in failing health with no children and limited family... no younger generations to have a connection with or to have any influence over... pretty much cancels out what jax is suggesting. Differing circumstances/ differing perspectives.
There's that too. At one point you unknowingly played with friends for the last time without knowing it..you interacted with lots of people for the last time not knowing you wouldn't get the chance again.

Those moments happen all the time in your life without you being aware

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I got a vasectomy, which obviously was by choice, but I definitely think about this stuff sometimes. I'm also single with two divorces behind me. It's not that I lament my own path, I've had and continue to have lots of opportunities afforded me by those facts, but it can be really isolating to see others my age or even younger getting/being/staying married, having kids, buying houses and shit. I've basically lost friends to their children, that becomes their full-time thing and we don't even talk anymore. I work at an elementary school so that fills the "connection to the future" piece, but it doesn't do much for the social isolation, especially since all of my coworkers are also doing the get married/have kids/buy a house thing. I'm happy with where I'm going, but it's a real lonely path sometimes, I guess is what I'm saying.

This conversation also reminds me of many conversations I had with a terminally ill friend back in my 20s. She is no longer with us, but she left an indelible mark on my soul. I introduced her to Neurosis, and this song always makes me think of her. 🖤

Edit: IDK why every link I try says "unavailable," but the song is Lost by Neurosis.

'Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless.'

Maybe his chair is fart powered
All chairs are fart powered. Well, all of mine anyway.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
My life has been a bittersweet train-wreck of sorts. Absolutely never saw the marriage or home-ownership coming. Always thought as crazy as I once lived my life, that I'd be dead long before now and that was okay with me when I was single and had a fairly irresponsible and narrow mindset... like if I go, who's really gonna notice or care? "He was a good dude but damn he was a crazy mother fucker".

I've talked about it before but never becoming a father has been somewhat wistful as well. It's allowed me to have a life without that stress, financial burden, and constant restriction... and for the most part I've simply never wanted that responsibility. I have enough anxiety as it is and it's been quite nice to be able to make decisions, plans, etc without the looming consideration of how every step would affect a child. But it definitely leaves me with a degree of emptiness on the flip side.

And I guess I don't need to go into any detail about how being married doesn't necessarily nullify loneliness. Sounds like you've been there. Despite that I'd say my marriage overall has been healthy and prosperous, there have certainly been struggles... some of which have come on rather strong over the past year or so. My wife is gone a lot with work and when she's home, she's fairly disconnected... recooperating, and spending a good deal of time with her face buried in her phone. Fortunately for me, I've lived a life prior to my marriage, being quite independent and contently on my own so it's not a big deal in the most simplistic sense but there are times when I long for a tad more support or interest from her so I frequently find myself trying to accommodate and adjust in order to maintain a positive and peaceful co-existence.

The last few years have felt a bit surreal... a wife, a mortgage, a strong relationship with my sister that I thought would never happen, and a good deal of freedom to pursue an endless array of projects, hobbies, and interests. It often feels that my life wasn't all for nothing although this all comes at a cost... the cost of time, robust physical and emotional health, fleeting opportunities, and lost relationships. I suppose this is just how life works... maybe at a more accelerated and harsh pace when financially strapped with a lot of odds stacked against you and not much in the way of any "plan-B's". But regardless, no sense fixating on regrets or loss. Just have to keep moving fwd as best we can... understanding that there are no certainties and that it can all change for the good or the bad in the blink of an eye.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I got a vasectomy, which obviously was by choice, but I definitely think about this stuff sometimes. I'm also single with two divorces behind me..

What's the recovery time on one of those? As someone entering his mid-30s and committed to not having any kids, it's definitely something I've thought of just to be 100% safe on my own end.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score

So I didn't have the best life growing up, but my dad had a deer camp in Houston/Anderson county. And the reason I love it so much, it's not changing like everything else is. It's kinda like Napoleon Dynamite. It could be the 80s or it could be the 2000s. It is the place you go to get away from the world.

I don't know how often I've frequented the place of my death, but I have made it explicitly clear that that's the last place my body will ever be.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
What's the recovery time on one of those? As someone entering his mid-30s and committed to not having any kids, it's definitely something I've thought of just to be 100% safe on my own end.
Have some fun snippet facts!

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Having been there, and having a best friend go there a few months before me, let me just recommend this be one of those things that despite being a man, you talk about openly with people before-hand. I researched the hell out of doctors in the area that did vasectomies, and asked around to get a vibe about who left the office screaming and who left feeling like, "meh, no big deal." I picked the later. My buddy made the mistake of letting his wife choose a doctor, and actually got laughed at when he passed out from the pain in the room, and was in such sorry shape they had to wheel him out the back to avoid scaring the other patients after.

Do your homework on this one. I recovered in about three days to the point of being able to sit at a desk again, and about two weeks later you'd never know the difference. My bud took a bit longer. Good luck.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
In addition to seconding everything said above, I'll give you the same full disclosure my doc gave me. About 10% of men develop chronic ball pain from getting a vasectomy. Sometimes reversing it fixes the pain, sometimes it doesn't. I was one of those 10%, and though my recovery time was about 3 days (but wouldn't recommend doing physical work for at least a week), I went through the next two years constantly feeling like I'd been kicked in the balls about six hours ago. I think it had to do with some scar tissue that developed on one side after the procedure. Anyway, the pain gone now, though the area of the scarring is still more sensitive than the rest. I'd make the same choice again for what it's worth.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
As someone booked for May the vasectomy stories are useful.