SSO: Deep Thoughts

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
@nightflameauto Why do you assume they would not spend that money to get you back if they could? I don't think this accomplishes what you think it does for the people you think it does. The only definable win I see is relinquishing the burden of resisting death, which only favors yourself.
I got one person that sees me on a regular basis that I know would be happier with the money. Everybody else will shed a tear or two, then remember they only see me when they need something. I'm not seeking death as we stand today. I'm just looking at my own life logically and realizing it's a whole lot of work for a reward of..... um, uh, nothing? Yay! And making the world worse every day I show up to work. Extra yay!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I got one person that sees me on a regular basis that I know would be happier with the money. Everybody else will shed a tear or two, then remember they only see me when they need something. I'm not seeking death as we stand today. I'm just looking at my own life logically and realizing it's a whole lot of work for a reward of..... um, uh, nothing? Yay! And making the world worse every day I show up to work. Extra yay!
Modern society and their resultant fairytales have convinced a lot of people that if they don't land on the Moon they're destined to die irrelevant, but such is obviously not the case. One of the hardest things there is to do in the world, simply being a moral and logical personal in all respects, is never endeavored with the same reverence because it's not applauded. Humility even all but forbids it in many cases. If your situation is not what you imagined for yourself it's a matter of coming to terms with that reality and/or changing it, but nothing worthwhile comes from throwing it out.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Modern society and their resultant fairytales have convinced a lot of people that if they don't land on the Moon they're destined to die irrelevant, but such is obviously not the case. One of the hardest things there is to do in the world, simply being a moral and logical personal in all respects, is never endeavored with the same reverence because it's not applauded. Humility even all but forbids it in many cases. If your situation is not what you imagined for yourself it's a matter of coming to terms with that reality and/or changing it, but nothing worthwhile comes from throwing it out.
This is me coming to terms with it.

I ain't seeking death for death's sake. I'm just saying, if somebody provided a smooth exit that still made sure my family was taken care of? Logic would dictate the path. No need to get all sentimental about it. I'm certainly not.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
@nightflameauto I understand there's a difference between drowning yourself and swimming until you can't, but certainly the extent of your effort would be directly influenced by your enthusiasm. Failure to plan, lack of vigilance in regard to opportunity or pitfalls, engineering self ignorance with unhealthy distractions, and apathy for your situation regardless are all personal implications of that mentality one should anticipate regardless of sentimentality. If you succeed at anything it's because of perseverance, ultimately.

Great ways to improve oneself and find pride in quality things are to try to be a more intelligent person, help others, exercise prudence and self control, or just try new random things which aren't strictly defined by materialism or societal value. I think if you get properly oriented there's a great deal more to the landscape of existence than would otherwise be the case, and then perhaps you wouldn't see it as a meal ticket for people that you don't seem to think value it nearly as much in any case.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is why you never, ever post anything real on the internet. Somebody always seems to think they're your therapist.
My 2 cents, there's a disparity between caring that people close to you are taken care of when you're gone, but wishing yourself gone which would render you unable to ensure that they're taken care of.

And I say that as someone who's entirely lucid about the idea of ceasing to exist, but aware that I'm too much of a control freak to voluntarily leave and lose my ability to observe or remain involved in things I care about.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Are heat and time both partners in crime?
They each flow in one direction, subtly sublime
On the quantized level, time has no existence
A thermodynamic event it's only trace of persistence
Does time stand still at Absolute Zero?
The one who unifies this theory will certainly be a hero

Moongrum

Reaction score
If Scotland/N.Irleand/England/Wales are countries then what is the UK? Wikipedia says it's a country. So there are countries inside a country? 🤨
I came across this conundrum at work when I was asked to write acceptance tests for a domestic flight using easyJet. Got confused wondering if flying from Scotland to NIreland is domestic or not.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are heat and time both partners in crime?
They each flow in one direction, subtly sublime
On the quantized level, time has no existence
A thermodynamic event it's only trace of persistence
Does time stand still at Absolute Zero?
The one who unifies this theory will certainly be a hero
I read that and my brain immediately thought this

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
If Scotland/N.Irleand/England/Wales are countries then what is the UK? Wikipedia says it's a country. So there are countries inside a country? 🤨
I came across this conundrum at work when I was asked to write acceptance tests for a domestic flight using easyJet. Got confused wondering if flying from Scotland to NIreland is domestic or not.

I always thought that the UK was considered a "region" for this very reason, it's a group of individual countries together while they still retain their own identities; I'd have to think back if I can recall anyone considering it a country, because if you asked them to identify what it's actual land is, the land would belong to the aforementioned ones and not be listed entirely as "The UK"

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Humans, especially those living in the wake of the industrial revolution, have an incredible capacity for overstepping their ability to reckon with the literal and figurative fallout of the pursuit of efficiency. Refining ethneogenic plants such as salvia divinorum, ayahuasca, and coca leaves for example results in substances that are many times more potent than their natural forms, with proportionate destructive potential. The commodification of these substances has further divorced them from their original usage in much the same way meat in the store separates us from the visceral understanding of what had to happen for that meat to get there, and in both cases we pay a very real price for that loss of respect.

Similarly, we have unleashed destructive powers of chemistry and physics that are far beyond our ability to reckon with both short and long-term. The incredible human cost of uranium mining, and the astoundingly shortsighted answer to how to handle spent nuclear fuel wherein we bury that shit in a hole and make it the future's problem, not to mention that even if we take at face value the claim that a reactor meltdown is incredibly unlikely, we are still looking at a non-zero probability compounded by the human capacity for negligence, one with an incredibly severe consequence should it actually come to pass. Personally those aren't odds I'd take, but nobody asked me.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Humans, especially those living in the wake of the industrial revolution, have an incredible capacity for overstepping their ability to reckon with the literal and figurative fallout of the pursuit of efficiency. Refining ethneogenic plants such as salvia divinorum, ayahuasca, and coca leaves for example results in substances that are many times more potent than their natural forms, with proportionate destructive potential. The commodification of these substances has further divorced them from their original usage in much the same way meat in the store separates us from the visceral understanding of what had to happen for that meat to get there, and in both cases we pay a very real price for that loss of respect.

Similarly, we have unleashed destructive powers of chemistry and physics that are far beyond our ability to reckon with both short and long-term. The incredible human cost of uranium mining, and the astoundingly shortsighted answer to how to handle spent nuclear fuel wherein we bury that shit in a hole and make it the future's problem, not to mention that even if we take at face value the claim that a reactor meltdown is incredibly unlikely, we are still looking at a non-zero probability compounded by the human capacity for negligence, one with an incredibly severe consequence should it actually come to pass. Personally those aren't odds I'd take, but nobody asked me.
Want to borrow my copy of Industrial Society and its Future?
e37.jpg

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Want to borrow my copy of Industrial Society and its Future?
View attachment 145622
My friend was Ted Kaczynski for our High School Halloween costume contest in ~2003. He wore a hoodie and shades and carried around a shoebox. File under "shit you definitely couldn't get away with in 2024."

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score

I legitimately wonder if it's "better" ethically to package plastic and nuclear waste into rockets and blast them into the sun. Or what would the repurcussions be of buffering nuclear waste on the moon? Are there moon quakes that would make it similarly risky to what we do here on earth?

(if me brings up the hollow moon conspiracy theory I will blast you into the sun)