SSO One Hour Competition!!! prep thread

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody down for another contest this month? I was thinking either The weekend of the 26th or maybe the weekend after in May?

What works for you guys? I will be running the contest slightly different this next go around as well. I will be creating a separate dedicated email for the contest too.

Any suggestions, criticisms or fanfare?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I've been thinking about these. So keen to get in on one.
This will be the first one I will actually be able to enter in (old recording interface was stuffed).

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Anybody down for another contest this month? I was thinking either The weekend of the 26th or maybe the weekend after in May?

What works for you guys? I will be running the contest slightly different this next go around as well. I will be creating a separate dedicated email for the contest too.

Any suggestions, criticisms or fanfare?

Holy shit, what's up, Ed!!

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I'm not totally clear on the proposed date. 26th of April or May?

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
26th of April.
Sup Rick holy shit its been a while!

To you Aussies still awake, i just got back from the bar and this is my bump for the day.

Any other questions?

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
I'd definitely be down, never gotten to do one of these before and it sounds pretty fun. :D I'm sure I'll get ass kicked but I've heard people put out some awesome stuff from these comps, sign me up!

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Yeah why not. Haven't done one of these for a while, but I've finally got Cubase cooperating with my new laptop so let's see what I can pull off.

Probably some 6-string bass tap odyssey. That's what a healthy diet of Claypool, Wooten and Levin will do to you...

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Why not? How exactly does this work? 1 hour to record and mix a tune?

You can (or at least people have been) use a mix template too. To me the whole essence of the competition is in composing, and it's just for fun anyway, so yeah. Use your own common sense and you most probably won't be disqualified.

And I'm in if I have time that weekend.

Also, good to see you around here Ed!

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
So are there any creative rules/restraints? Like it needs to be in a certain style or use some certain elements?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Interesting idea, but this REALLY favors guys using hardware modelers and/or VST amp sims, where you could just load up a mix template with your amp settings, any post processing, drum VSTs, et al already in place, and physically just perform your parts and hit render.

Hell, as it stands, using Superior 2.3 I'm already way ahead of anyone who records with live drums, simply because unless you left your kit mic'd up and then had spare mics ready to go for your amps, there's absolutely no way you could get a "pro" drum take tracked and mixed inside an hour, before you even begin to worry about micing up an amp and then figuring out where it's going to fit in with the rest of your mix.

And, is this "preset" approach to mixing REALLY what we want to be encouraging? Call me oldschool, I guess, but I don't really consider that mixing...

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
What about using presets do you disagree with? It's still taken time and effort to get the preset to where it is. After the initial application of presets I've made myself I always find myself tweaking bits and pieces to make them better suit what I'm doing at the time.

I guess I just use them as a tool to instantly get a lot of different elements of the mix into rough area I want them, Then I later spend time getting them just right.

Latest posts