Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi

• Thread starter StevenC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
sw-the-last-jedi-tall-B.jpg

Don't like the title, but hopefully with Rian Johnson writing and directing we'll get a great movie. Still love Looper.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The logo looks weird to me in that red colour. Doesn't feel Star-Wars-y.

A lot of people are speculating why it's red vs. gold/yellow, and if it's a Sith vs. Jedi reference etc...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the title, but I feel like this would have been a better title for Episode IX

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Does that mean no more Jedi after this? Are they being replaced with something else?

I mean, everything happened long ago in a galaxy far away, so maybe the Jedi have to go extinct- it just seems like a bleak title. And a lot of the interviews have been strongly hinting that this is not supposed to be a dark chapter, like The Empire Strikes Back, but it seems like a dark title, and the logo looks more menacing, maybe. Who knows, at this point. They probably haven't even decided what kind of movie this will be yet.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
There is almost zero verified info that's been leaked on this movie yet so all I can say is that I like the title and wonder how the red title will tie in.

Demiurge

Reaction score
It's a little bit vague for too much speculation. As of the last movie, Luke was implied to be the only Jedi left and even if Rey trains with him and becomes one herself, then it's the two of them who are the titular last Jedi. Hopefully, it doesn't mean that Luke dies and it's just Rey because if they're going into IX without Hamill, Fisher, or Ford that cast is in trouble.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I would take it as "down to just one Jedi, who will train up others to become Jedi again." Though I have no idea. But that is close to what happened with the original triology, so it may be.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't "Jedi" able to be used both in the plural and singular forms?

Like, Luke claims "I am a Jedi like my father before me," but Anakin also says "[...] and in my eyes, the Jedi are evil [...]" so I don't know if we'll see a lone Jedi like most are expecting.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Jedi were technically extinct in the original trilogy. Obi-Wan and Yoda were the only two left, and they both had gone into hiding. So I wonder if this title alludes to a true extinction of the Jedi with none left?

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Jedi were technically extinct in the original trilogy. Obi-Wan and Yoda were the only two left, and they both had gone into hiding. So I wonder if this title alludes to a true extinction of the Jedi with none left?

There were still some Jedi that survived Order 66, mainly Pawadans like Kannan Jarrus in Star Wars Rebels. Whether or not him and his Pawadan Ezra Bridger survives the Battle of Scariff(or the entire Ghost crew for that matter), remain to be seen, as SWR season 3 are still ongoing, and that Maul are going to face off with Ben Kenobi on Tattooine.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't "Jedi" able to be used both in the plural and singular forms?

Like, Luke claims "I am a Jedi like my father before me," but Anakin also says "[...] and in my eyes, the Jedi are evil [...]" so I don't know if we'll see a lone Jedi like most are expecting.

Either way, the last Jedi means that after this movie, there ought not to be any more.

Was "The Last Emperor" about an Emperor who trained another Emperor, or was "The Last of the Mohicans" about how Uncas, the last Mohican, survives and has lots of children to replenish the population of the Mohican tribe?

So, why do you expect "The Last Jedi" to be anything like that? I think the title makes it clear that Luke is going to die at some point during the plot of the film.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Either way, the last Jedi means that after this movie, there ought not to be any more.

Was "The Last Emperor" about an Emperor who trained another Emperor, or was "The Last of the Mohicans" about how Uncas, the last Mohican, survives and has lots of children to replenish the population of the Mohican tribe?

So, why do you expect "The Last Jedi" to be anything like that? I think the title makes it clear that Luke is going to die at some point during the plot of the film.

I think it's going to be like you said, they'll be replaced by something else, an off-shoot of the Jedi order. Asoka Tano left the Jedi Order after Anakin became Darth Vader, but she still had her lightsabers and no affiliation (hence her yellow blade vs. green/blue/purple).

It's easy to assume some they'll kill Luke as he's Rey's mentor, and since Star Wars is the hero's journey - the mentor dying is one of the steps, but I don't know if that'll happen in this movie. I see it possibly happening in the next, but it seems too obvious for this one, especially with Han dying in VII.

GregoryP

Reaction score
It wouldn't necessarily mean that all living Jedi have to die.

Are Jedi still needed if there the balance in the force is restored?

Once the chosen one has completed the prophecy, all Jedi can go in retirement and take the Falcon to go sipping cocktails on the beaches of tatooine.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm late to this conversation, but I think this title only means the Ep. VIII will be about Luke, who is (at the moment of Ep. VII) the last living Jedi in this saga... All the rest is pure speculation. Speculation leads to anxiety, anxiety leads to pain, pain leads to suffering and all this is the path to the dark side...

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's going to be like you said, they'll be replaced by something else, an off-shoot of the Jedi order. Asoka Tano left the Jedi Order after Anakin became Darth Vader, but she still had her lightsabers and no affiliation (hence her yellow blade vs. green/blue/purple).

It's easy to assume some they'll kill Luke as he's Rey's mentor, and since Star Wars is the hero's journey - the mentor dying is one of the steps, but I don't know if that'll happen in this movie. I see it possibly happening in the next, but it seems too obvious for this one, especially with Han dying in VII.

Agreed.

It wouldn't necessarily mean that all living Jedi have to die.

Are Jedi still needed if there the balance in the force is restored?

Once the chosen one has completed the prophecy, all Jedi can go in retirement and take the Falcon to go sipping cocktails on the beaches of tatooine.

I mean, the Sith were destroyed in RotJ, but, for whatever reason, the story had to continue. I highly highly highly doubt that this will be the last Star Wars film, so, for them to wrap up the movie that way would be terrible. It would be like if George Lucas changed The Empire Strikes Back so that Luke kills Darth Vader during the cloud city duel, never finds out that Vader was his father, and then Luke and Leia leave cloud city together and have babies that all look like Yoda.

Kryss

Your new god!
Reaction score
most likely luke is the last jedi, meaning all the previous ones he was training were wiped out by knights of ren. unlike order 66 there won't be any other surviving jedi in the galaxy. he will probably train rey between 7 and 8. I could see him falling to snoke and the knights of ren at the end though, it would make a very dark timeline like how empire ended. could see a redemption arc though for kylo ren where after the deed is done he is no longer with snoke and rey and kylo turn on snoke and the other knights of ren. rey alone would not be very believable if luke falls to the knights of ren/snoke. obviously luke would still be far more powerful than rey. will be interesting to see where they go with episode 8.

Latest posts