Static pops through monitors

• Thread starter 4Eyes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

4Eyes

Reaction score
Hey, I have this weird problem of static pops through speakers. I have a suspicion it's a static electricity causing occasional pops through one or both monitors. I have noticed it happens when I move away from the table or stand and walk away. I have plain wood table (Sessiondesk Home Big), I have wooden floor and I noticed there is lot of static electricity "kicks" between me and chair which happen when I move around, hence my theory of static electricity pops finding it's way through speakers. It's a new building, however there is a construction site connected to the same grid as our building.

Most common cause for pops in speakers is poor connection, I believe that I have cables with quality enough to not cause any pops when I stand and move away from the table, I also checked all the connections and did "wiggle" test with all the connections, power cables included, with negative result.

I got a suggestion, that there may be some big induction appliance in the building (elevator motor), or connected to the same grid (whatever big machines they use at the construction site nearby - cranes, mixers..), which could cause pops. Which could be strange coincidence as I mentioned I mostly notice pops when I move away from the table. Anyway, no matter what's causing it, the suggestion was to get some good filtering unit.

Has anyone went through similar issues? My question is probably not to find the root cause (as far as it's not cables I'm ok with it and if it's a crane connected to the grid I can't do anything with it), but to find a way how to eliminate those pops. Filtering units? Which? Basic surge protector didn't do anything. I was thinking probably units like Furman AC-210A E or M-10X E could help, but I'm kind of hesitant to invest 100-180EUR + about 10 power cables for all the devices, if it won't work. Something else I could do?

Last edited:

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That Furman M-10X is a great unit and a must have in a home studio. I couldn't imagine plugging my expensive studio equipment into an unprotected grid. Especially if the grid is connected to a construction site. These things are rare, but if something were to happen - oh boy.

A lightning strike blew my PC some 5 or so years ago. Fried the PSU, Mobo and CPU right away. Luckily the GPU and other parts survived - I still use the same SSD's to this day which I probably shouldn't.. But that was a house with some questionable electrics anyway, grounding was missing from most of the power outlets and the fuse box was a mess.

You can probably rent various power conditioners as well, just to test if it the noise issue comes from the power grid.

Last edited:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Things like pops from contsruction equipment and ac units really need a voltage regulator, but not always. I use an AR1215 and it's really good, but even the best of them still some things can get through sometimes. You really should get something like it that protects and regulates voltage too regardless if having issues or not. Expensive but will last decades, make stuff sound better and stable and protect it too as much as possible. The cheaper units might filter and protect from some stuff too but if you can get a new one for like $800 and see it as an investment over a decade or more you'll be happy you did. When I first got one I noticed immediately a huge difference, but you could plug one in an possible notice no difference. These things are not gremlins, they're demons. Tracking them down can take forever and killing them can be next to impossible. lol. sorry you're going this. I feel your pain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

4Eyes

Reaction score
hm...maybe..just maybe I had power plug on my Fireface not securely connected. I had to rewire some stuff and when I pulled it out of the shelf, power plug came of, which it shouldn't as it's lockable. It may have moved from secured lock position when I manipulated with the interface and cables in the back. but it's to soon to make judgements, as it's so far just one day of pop free listening since I plugged everything in and secured power plug in locked position.

4Eyes

Reaction score
nope, it wasn't it.. yesterday was pop free, but not today.. anyway, I've got Furman AC210 E on the way. I spoke with couple of guys and voltage regulation wasn't mentioned as essential in my case, rather than proper filtration unit. Since I can't really afford big Furman units at the moment, I decided to pick this one, which offers filtration and protection of the big racks, without all the bells and whistles.

4Eyes

Reaction score
Saga continues, power conditioner didn't solve the issue

4Eyes

Reaction score
to makes things even more "interesting" - it's been almost pop free week without any change in the setup, not even the Furman power conditioner plugged in. Old setup, no change, nothing added or removed, no pops for a week... #fokme

4Eyes

Reaction score
necro bump - about over 2 months without any pops. Either some of the machines at nearby construction site moved somewhere else, or it's related to me stopping to wear tracksuit at home because of warm weather. Nothing else has changed in my setup. 🤷‍♂️

- note to myself - if they start around October/November - it's tracksuit

Latest posts