STC - String Tension Calculator v0.1.9.1 - Corrected CK strings weight datas!

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I would love to be able to generate output for multiscales without having to run the numbers for each string.
What I've been doing is using the individual string lengths from my FretFind2D numbers and running the STC once per string. It's quite tedious, and I'm no coder so I hope one of you smart guys thinks up a way to make this possible (and then builds it into an iOS app so that I can brainstorm string tension numbers on the go!!!!).

I might be misunderstanding you, but I think what you're looking for is already doable. Example from my own library:

Code:
len 25.5
G4 .008 CKPLG == 14.74#
len 26.0625
D4 .0105 CKPLG == 14.92#
len 26.625
A3 .014 CKPLG == 15.5#
len 27.1875
F3 .017 CKPLG == 15.01#
len 27.75
C3 .024 CKWNG == 17.06#
len 28.3125
G2 .033 CKWNG == 17.8#
len 28.875
D2 .043 CKWNG == 17.06#
len 29.4375
G1 .065 CKWNG == 17.7#
len 30
D1 .086 CKWNG == 17.79#

You can even build multiple sets on a single file since there's no limit (afaik) to how many calculations it'll run, but the GUI isn't really built for that so I don't generally recommend it. If you want it to generate the intermediary lengths then as far as I know STC doesn't currently support that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

iloki

Reaction score
ha I hadn't though of trying that lol

it would be more convenient to have the software do that calculation for you though

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Multi scale is in the pipeline, I was thinking of something like :
Code:
strings 9
shortlen 25.5
longlen 30
G4 .008 CKPLG == 14.74#
D4 .0105 CKPLG == 14.92#
A3 .014 CKPLG == 15.5#
F3 .017 CKPLG == 15.01#
C3 .024 CKWNG == 17.06#
G2 .033 CKWNG == 17.8#
D2 .043 CKWNG == 17.06#
G1 .065 CKWNG == 17.7#
D1 .086 CKWNG == 17.79#
What do you guys think about that?
It's easy and I could still keep the normal "len" parameter for straight scales.
You're free to torture the source code as much has you want, I could always put it on github for something more collaborative but I'm not so good with those things.
It's NetBeans dependent tho, so be aware of that :)

@iloki> Thx for the scale lengths algorithm, I didn't have the time to research this as I'm so busy right now.

@urklvt> I love you too but where's my free headless single cut 9 string? :fawk: :wub:

vansinn

Reaction score
^ would work fine for fanned layouts. Could also just do " Strings 9 Fan 25.5 - 30".

Jeez, the things some will do for love, hahaha...

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
^It's simpler but less 'obvious'.

vansinn's syntax is very clear about what it pertains to, even if it's longer.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it would be clearer and cleaner with a line by parameter, I'll have to think about it :)
There's a lot of clean up and modularizing to do in the code before adding fan support anyway :)

WiseSplinter

Reaction score
I've made a version that supports fans, but not using the syntax above.
Its an ugly hack though :lol: i don't really feel comfortable giving it to people, there may be problems :lol:
When I have some time i'll make it a bit nicer, but i support the notion of modularizing before releasing another version.

Another mod I started doing was allowing string set data to be loaded via separate files.
That way you won't need a new version of the app when new string set data is made available, just add the file to the folder and it will automatically be included.

Was also toying with a more modern interface, but not really sure if that's required, seems to work fine as it is :shrug:

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
For weight data I'm working on an XML loader, so it would be easier to maintain and update. Feel free to mod and release whatever you want, it's public domain IIRC, I didn't move it to any license (yet, maybe I'll move it to GPLv2 later on)

Edit : Shouldn't this be moved out of the ERG section? Maybe Gears & Equipments?

vansinn

Reaction score
I think it's fine in here, as it's mainly geared towards ERG players anyways.

Ishan and Wise, why don't we split the code workload between us?
If interested, let's drop each other a PM with email contacts.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll see on setting up a github account for the source code this week end :)

KhzDonut

Sam Valentine
Reaction score
@KhzDonut> what kind of problem are you experiencing? Maybe I can fix it.

When I try to save something on my Mac (OSX 10.6.8) instead of giving me the option of choosing a file name, I can only select a pre-existing file, and then it saves it as that. I can still save my sets, but I have to create a .txt file beforehand, or just copy-and-paste into a text file.

Since I'm still using Snow Leopard I don't have Java 7, so *shrug* I dunno if that's part of the problem.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Java 1.6 under windows on my dev setup, it works fine for me but the save dialog isn't too great I admit. I'll try to add something to create the file before hand.
The GIT is up and source code is in but I still have problems setting it up with NetBeans, I'll report back ASAP.

iloki

Reaction score
Some more information would be helpful... Could be any number of reasons.
What is the error you get when you try to open it?

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
@RockerAlex> RTFM and check if you have Java JRE installed before complaining :)