Stereo multi-voice chorus for high gain metal

• Thread starter JediMasterThrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
I just found the new Jackson Audio NewWave which regenerated an itch to try out some chorii pedals.

My primary usage is thickening up high gain metal. I've found standard chorus is too warbly. At a minimum a tri-chorus is needed to start to make it swirl vs. warble.
Stereo in and stereo out.

My current favorite is the Boss DC-2W. It nails the somewhere-in-time tone.
I also have an Ola, which I feel is better for metallica tones, but i've never been 100% happy with it, I hate the large format, the tone is too "dark", and there's a 2db increase in volume when engaged so you can't just on/off it as an effect.

The NewWave looks awesome in videos. Plus the bonus wild modes are always fun.
I also took another look at the Eventide Tricerachorus which might be worth trying out.
Then I just discovered the Alexandar Sugarcube, which includes a "dimension" mode as well as more options. Though I'm curious about the circuit quality on alexandar? I've found in the past some of the more boutique pedals aren't quite up to the S2N levels of the big guys. Not noticable as much with clean tones, but with a high gain tube amp, the noise floor and high frequency fidelity becomes a bit more obvious.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Free the tone? Does dr scientist have a tri-chorus?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I used to have an Alexander Sugarcube and it was super noisy with distortion. I definitely wouldn't run it in front of a high-gain amp as an always-on pedal. Maybe in the loop would be better.

I'd definitely check out the Eventide stuff, given they were used for *decades* specifically because of how good their multi-voice detune and choruses are.

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
Free the tone chorus looks great, but is mono-in. Dr. scientist doesn't appear to have a chorus.

Yeah I always run my chorus in the loop so it won't get gained up. But will still have to deal with a full frequency range of harmonic distortion so circuit quality needs to be there.

The rocktron could probably replace half my pedals, if it didn't have a thing for pedals.

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score
Fellow multi voice chorus freak here; Digitech CR-7 and the Neunaber Tri Chorus are the two best multi voice chorus pedals I’ve tried, especially in the loop with lots of gain. They still can’t compare to a rack unit though, my old Rocktron Intelliverb still has the most amazing multi voice chorus I’ve ever heard, blows my mind every time I play through it

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
Looking up the Digitech CR-7, seemed familiar. Lo-and-behold I totally forgot, I had bought a Nautila a couple years back to try out. Just found it fresh in the box untouched lol.

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score
I too use the DC-2w in stereo to thicken and have a slight warble. It's probably my fave so far. I wish Mr.Black made a stereo double chorus instead of mono. That would probably fix everything.
Really want to try the Eventide options but haven't gotten around to it.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Just buy this... it is the best I've ever heard for subtle chorus with a boost that is pretty much an always on pedal for me (and I own a JA New Wave). You can certainly dial up the chorus but there are better if you're trying to get swampy or a vibe effect. But this is the most usable for rock and metal I've ever tried.

EVH30.MAIN__48308.1663874801.jpg

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
That does sound great. Too bad it's mono-input.

One thing I've found, specifically for t metal, is that chorus that sounds great on leads or chord work can sound too swooshy on palm-muted thrash riffs. When you just PM at 150bmp, you instantly hear the swooshing around of the chorus phases and it doesn't quite work. You need that multi-voice subtle chorus to enhance without swooshing out those PM riffs.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
That does sound great. Too bad it's mono-input.

One thing I've found, specifically for t metal, is that chorus that sounds great on leads or chord work can sound too swooshy on palm-muted thrash riffs. When you just PM at 150bmp, you instantly hear the swooshing around of the chorus phases and it doesn't quite work. You need that multi-voice subtle chorus to enhance without swooshing out those PM riffs.

This was the video that convinced me.

But yeah if you need stereo input it's a no-go.