Stop Open Low B String From Ringing Out Question

• Thread starter TheTerminator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheTerminator

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I’ve been playing guitar for almost 20 years using six strings primarily. I’ve dabbled in 7s from time to time but always went back to 6. I currently have a Jackson 7 string that just sounds amazing, so I want to stick with it and get used to that damn extra string this time.

I notice when not playing the Low B string and it’s left open it seems to ring out with gain on. I know you can mute open strings with a hair band or whatever (but you want to use open strings as well, so not sure I’d like this method) and/or your palm. Thumb too, but this neck is pretty wide and it’s tough to reach over while playing the higher strings. This also makes using the palm challenging at times as well. I’m sure the answer is just practice and figure out the best technique for me and get used to it, but thought I’d throw it out there to hear of anyone else’s experience with this.

Thanks all!!

Last edited:

guitaardvark

Reaction score
Welcome!

You'll want to work on your right hand technique. Just like on a 6 string, use your palm to kill any unwanted sympathetic ringing. When you're on lower strings, you can mess around with using your left hand to mute the higher strings. 7 strings are more difficult, and you'll have to learn to move your palm around to cover more ground. This is why I personally don't enjoy 8 strings.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Maybe place a small piece of foam under the bridge side of the B? Adjust it so that it does not move and keep the string permanently Palm muted I guess.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRIGG

Reaction score
Think of your technique with a 6 string. When you mute the low E to avoid noise, the same technique is needed for a 7 string except on the B string. It is different and slightly more difficult due to the extra string width, but fundamentally the same technique. Just expanded to 7 strings.
Also, a great technique if you are playing the E string (6 th string) while trying to keep the B string (7th string) quiet.....use the very tips of the fingers playing on the 6th string to mute the adjacent 7th string. They will lightly make contact with the 7th string above whatever note you are fretting on the 6th string below it and thus giving you the mute effect and stopping all string vibration and noise. It goes without saying, the higher the gain/distortion...the more noise. Good luck.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I basically taught myself to play by always resting my palm on the lowest string. So my low E/B is always a Palm-mute. If you can mute on a 6 you can do it on a 7.

ixlramp

Reaction score
All strings ring if unplayed and not muted, and any string ringing will create a sloppy sound, clean or distorted.
Essentially, you always have to mute all the strings, however many strings you have.