US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
but it is humorous to watch the right trying to retcon and muddle basic dictionary definitions and basic rules of the English language because it doesn't line up with their transphobia and/or misogyny
That's why the G in GOP stands for Gaslight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Weird ideology?
I had an Italian history teacher in high school that was a big fan of nazi germany and especially Mussolini. He would quote him all the time, and constantly say how much better the world would be if Italy would have won the war. What a pest Jews are to the world economy and why we should get rid of them.
He would also say to always wear slacks and dress shoes, that shorts and sandals are what homosexuals wear.
So you're saying you were groomed into fascism?

spudmunkey

Reaction score
One thing that is interesting to me, is that over 20 years ago, as a young child being homeschooled in a Catholic, conservative home, even I was taught the actual/dictionary/textbook definition of the word gender, and how it is explicitly distinct from the word sex .. which is to say, gender has nothing to do with science or biology and is a purely social construct. This wasn't tied into trans matters or anything obviously, but it is humorous to watch the right trying to retcon and muddle basic dictionary definitions and basic rules of the English language because it doesn't line up with their transphobia and/or misogyny
It's a bit like race. Race wasn't really a concept, and when it was first used, it was to describe, like, someone's royal lineage.

It wasn't until one group of people wanted to enslave a another specific group of people, that they needed a way to justify it and rationalize it in their religious beliefs by convincing themself and everyone else that these "others" aren't actually really human. If you look at someone from Norway and someone from Sudan, sure, they look different...but now walk between them, and you'll see a gradual gradient as you travel...where do you draw the line for a different "race"? And if someone disagrees with your claim of your race, how do you prove it since there's no "race" gene? Most genetic things people point to are more about where your heritage is from rather than your ethnicity. Like sickle cell: it's not a "black" thing, it's a "did your ancestors live in a place where malaria is common" thing. "The Enligtenment" made people to "categorization"-happy and made-up 5 arbitrary races...and since then, people have thought of race as biological fact.

Last edited:

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is what's shameful about republicans in general -- no backbone. These guys are so weaselly they'll endorse someone after they publicly insult them (or their wives, in the case of Chris Christie IIRC).
Totally agree with you.
The only thing he does is to manage the first economy and the first power of the world just like deals and punchlines.

If he is elected he will solve the war in Ukraine within 24h : “I made a deal” ! Letting Putin conquer 1/3 of Ukraine and enough time for him to manufacture new weapons for invading Moldavia.

Same threats in Hong Kong.
A little different with Israel, reducing both shipping weapons and supplies.

Can’t believe that chap can be elected.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
This is what's shameful about republicans in general -- no backbone. These guys are so weaselly they'll endorse someone after they publicly insult them (or their wives, in the case of Chris Christie IIRC).
I thought that was Ted Cruz?

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The privileged city boy in you is shining through. I generally think she's pretty worthless. BUT, that's rural farm and ranch culture in a nutshell. Animals are viewed in terms of utility. Dogs herd and help hunt fowl. Cats keep the rodent population down. Problem and sick animals are either shot or sent to slaughter. While it may be cruel to you, it's routine to them. That culture is also a necessary evil for the food supply and putting that burger on your plate. Not a good political move for her to publicize it that way but thats the real world for ya. The ugly part of this world that lots of people are willfully ignorant to.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I thought that was Ted Cruz?

Right you are. I was thinking to myself... why would Trump not just make fun of Chris directly... which he did, of course :D

The privileged city boy in you is shining through. I generally think she's pretty worthless. BUT, that's rural farm and ranch culture in a nutshell. Animals are viewed in terms of utility. Dogs herd and help hunt fowl. Cats keep the rodent population down. Problem and sick animals are either shot or sent to slaughter. While it may be cruel to you, it's routine to them. That culture is also a necessary evil for the food supply and putting that burger on your plate. Not a good political move for her to publicize it that way but thats the real world for ya. The ugly part of this world that lots of people are willfully ignorant to.

Yea, in like 1920. Today, small family owned and operated rural farms have next to nothing to do with how the country's burgers are getting on its plates.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Right you are. I was thinking to myself... why would Trump not just make fun of Chris directly... which he did, of course :D

Yea, in like 1920. Today, small family owned and operated rural farms have next to nothing to do with how the country's burgers are getting on its plates.
HAHA... stick to other subjects. Plenty of smaller ranches and farms are supplying food still. They are all over Florida. I buy a lot of local meat, eggs, and produce.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
HAHA... stick to other subjects. Plenty of smaller ranches and farms are supplying food still. They are all over Florida. I buy a lot of local meat, eggs, and produce.

I think it's possible that your core problem is not having a good grasp on anecdotes vs. general statistics. It seems to be a recurring trend that you try to discard general truths for what is true of your local world in florida.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Who had DrewH defends spite killing dogs on their bingo card?
Truth hurts and they don't view dogs as cute little companions like we do. If you have a dog on your farm and it kills one of your chickens, it's going to get a bullet in the head. Not something I could personally do and I'm not defending it. I'm just telling you how it is for people that don't live your type of lifestyle.

Take a drive in upstate NY sometime along the Canadian border. It will take you back about 60 years in time. Not everyone lives this privileged urban or suburban life. Can say the same for a lot of places I've been to in the country. Iowa, Kansas, etc.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think it's possible that your core problem is not having a good grasp on anecdotes vs. general statistics. It seems to be a recurring trend that you try to discard general truths for what is true of your local world in florida.
Yeah, but heres the thing. I roadtrip for a hobby. You aren't even on this side of the Pacific and when you were here, I doubt you saw very much of anything.