Straight Edge

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
So I'm completely surprised that noone has made a thread about this. Then again, I don't exactly know who is and who isn't edge on here.

But anyways, I recently claimed edge and alot of people have been giving me shit about it. "Oh you're just a stupid scene kid," " You're just being trendy," etc.. But in all honesty, I'm not doing it for any reason but my own personal benefit. I am friends with a bunch of stoners, and a bunch of kids who are borderline alcoholics. I still hang out with them all the time and I'm not going to stop. It's just pissing me off that so many people think I'm just in it to be "cool". I mean I hate the taste of alcohol, I don't like pot and am smart enough to never go any further than that, and I'm with a girl who I can have sex with and not feel guilty about it because we've been dating for 3 months now. What reason do I have not to?

So if anyone is edge, hates edge, isn't edge, but supports it, etc., here's the place to discuss it. :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or whatever and I'm not "straight edge" or do I ever claim to be. I mean, I don't move in "scene" circles, paint Xs on the back of my hands or was a punk in the 80s or 90s or whenever the straight edge thing was. :lol:

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
dude, i tought you where talking about this.... :lol:
Precision_Straightedges_Detail.jpg

Brendan G

What is this then?
Reaction score
I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or whatever and I'm not "straight edge" or do I ever claim to be. I mean, I don't move in "scene" circles, paint Xs on the back of my hands or was a punk in the 80s or 90s or whenever the straight edge thing was. :lol:
Same with me, I don't consider myself straight edge, just a...uh what do you call it? Law abiding citizen :lol:.

m3ta1head

Contributor
Reaction score
Straight edge? Whats that?
emot2bonglj9.png

:D

Seriously though, I have no problem with people who live a straight edge lifestyle-I do find it annoying, however, when these kinds of people proclaim themselves as the next coming, and act all high and mighty and put others down for using substances. There's very little wrong with most drugs in moderation :yesway:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Which is exactly what I'm not. I don't care that people do drugs. It's fine by me. I just choose not to.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
alot of people have been giving me shit about it. "Oh you're just a stupid scene kid," " You're just being trendy,".

so come hang out with me, well play 7s and they can fuk off:shred::fawk:

one question though. what the hell is claiming edge?

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously though, I have no problem with people who live a straight edge lifestyle-I do find it annoying, however, when these kinds of people proclaim themselves as the next coming, and act all high and mighty and put others down for using substances. There's very little wrong with most drugs in moderation :yesway:

Heh, yeah, I don't care what people do and I most certainly don't take a high and mighty approach, hell, I usually don't even tell people unless they ask. Anyway, my point is I also find it irritating when people put people down for drinking but I also find it even more irritating when people who do (and this is mostly stoner hippies) put you down for not abusing drugs. :lol:

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
"Straight Edge" has become a bad word, like Dave Matthews or "emo." As in each of these cases, I think it's more of a negative association with the type of people who identify as such. People who identify themselves as straight usually have an agenda. Because if you (and I'm not meaning YOU specifically but you in the general sense) wanted to not use drugs and not drink then you just wouldn't have to do it. But if you decide to identify yourself as something by giving a title, it comes across as you're trying to make a statement - which I think most people are. So yeah, most people who claim edge are usually calling attention to it and have something to prove, which is why so many of those people come of as high-n-mighty self righteous judgemental douchebags. I used to be one of those. :) gotta love highschool...
I'm not saying you're doing it for those reasons, but look at it this way. Its a term that has really strong associations with a particular scene, style, and persona. Do you really want to put that label on yourself?
Most people I know these days who live by that lifestyle, as I myself did until recently, will say exactly what ZeroSignal said.
"I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or fuck around, but I don't consider myself straight edge."

m3ta1head

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyway, my point is I also find it irritating when people put people down for drinking but I also find it even more irritating when people who do (and this is mostly stoner hippies) put you down for not abusing drugs. :lol:

Completely valid point-I hang out with some people like that and it's very annoying at times. I'm not a big drinker (I like to sip and ENJOY my beer, not chug it), and can't really hold my booze that well, and I get made fun of by my college buddies all the time. Fuck em' :fawk:

thedownside

Reaction score
i dont drink, do any sort of drugs, and only some cigs. i hang out with mostly people that do all those things, and i have no problem with that, and most of tthem have no problem with me. but i wouldnt go around sying i'm this or that, i just dont do it. the only time it becomes an issue is if someone is trying to pressure me into doing it (i'm 30, come on). and i've had a few people that didnt like that i said no blow pot smoke in my face, that didnt end well.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
the only time it becomes an issue is if someone is trying to pressure me into doing it (i'm 30, come on). and i've had a few people that didnt like that i said no blow pot smoke in my face, that didnt end well.

Oh man! If anyone ever did that I'd get medieval on their asses! :evil:

So far I've only ever had one or two people try to pressure me and it really didn't last long until they got the picture.

thedownside

Reaction score
Oh man! If anyone ever did that I'd get medieval on their asses! :evil:

So far I've only ever had one or two people try to pressure me and it really didn't last long until they got the picture.

trust me, them, and most people around them would never attempt it again ;)

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty far from straight edge, but I'm a big Minor Threat fan so I guess I'm straight with straight edge.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
I've been straight edge for almost 20 years without even knowing the term :lol:
Yeah, but I've started drinkin about half a year ago but I still don't drink that often..maybe once in the month or something :wavey:

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
Dude, i totally respect you for claiming edge. I know that SxE has negative connotations to a lot of people but if you know why you are doing it and don't care what other people think then I support you. I used to be a major straight edger myself back a few years ago. I have never like hardcore. I was a punk rocker and hung out with a bunch of other punks, crusties and hippies who did tons of drugs because it was encouraged in the scene; I could not stand it. I got shit from tons of people because I did not want to conform to what the media and the scene said was the thing to do. I have seen friends and family destroy their lives due to drugs. I am not a SxE anymore since I do drink sometimes (in moderation). However, I am still strictly against drugs only not because of what they has done to people close to me but also because all the illegal drug money goes to fund street gangs, guerrilla groups and drug cartels; all of these terrorize towns and villages all over the world (specially third wold countries). I know drug addicts don't care about anyone's suffering as long as they can get high, but I do.

So thanks for posting a thread about this and up the SxE! :yesway:

Misanthropy

Kebab Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eh, being self important enough to refer yourself with that term just seems like vanity to me.

I agree, the whole " straight edge" thing is just silly and TRENDY, we need a name for being wild and drunk/stoned, "not straight-edge" for life!!.

lobee

vicioustabbing
Reaction score
"Straight Edge" has become a bad word, like Dave Matthews or "emo." As in each of these cases, I think it's more of a negative association with the type of people who identify as such. People who identify themselves as straight usually have an agenda. Because if you (and I'm not meaning YOU specifically but you in the general sense) wanted to not use drugs and not drink then you just wouldn't have to do it. But if you decide to identify yourself as something by giving a title, it comes across as you're trying to make a statement - which I think most people are. So yeah, most people who claim edge are usually calling attention to it and have something to prove, which is why so many of those people come of as high-n-mighty self righteous judgemental douchebags. I used to be one of those. :) gotta love highschool...
I'm not saying you're doing it for those reasons, but look at it this way. Its a term that has really strong associations with a particular scene, style, and persona. Do you really want to put that label on yourself?
Most people I know these days who live by that lifestyle, as I myself did until recently, will say exactly what ZeroSignal said.
"I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or fuck around, but I don't consider myself straight edge."