Strandberg Boden 8 Standard Opinions?

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Assuming you're right handed, what rests on your right leg when you're playing your Vaders, the second strap pin or the string tuners? That was my main problem with my V7 and V7X. Had to wear a strap to record while seated in classical position. I may have been a minority, but I've heard similar complaints from others. If you made it work, then great :) Just giving my personnal experience.

https://images.app.goo.gl/UboDwgBPkdNYcR6u8

Can't comment on Boden 8 necks, haven't played one. If I understand correctly, TS has tried one and liked it *shrug*
I play right handed and the the tuners barely sit on my leg. same as with the bodens I owned. The bigger difference was they didn't dig into my legs as much as with the boden or ormsby goliath's design. I will say that my zeus is far more comfortable in the classical position than any other headless I've used, but it's also harder to tune due to the small distance between the tuner and the wood scoop that sits under it.

case in point:20200622_050514.jpg 20200622_050527.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
That's interesting, I guess we don't use the same angle in classical position. On my Vaders I had the strap pin digging in my right leg while on my Strandbergs it was the rounded part of the body (and not the tuners).

nightlight

Reaction score
Also the endurneck on the 8 string bodens is dogshit. It's overly bulky and is basically a gimmick if you're already adept at not hooking your thumb over the top of the neck (since it precludes that/forces you to play with classical fretting technique). It basically just trains the hand for that imo. I have larger hands and I found the endurneck to be the worst 8 string neck in terms of comfort (and I've owned over 10 eight strings in the same price range or higher than bodens).

I'd completely discount this as one user's experience. The only other eight I
owned was an RG2228 with 27" scale length. The Boden is 26.5-28", but easier to play in the lower registers because of the Endurneck. It's quite comfy too, even though my hands are medium sized

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I'd completely discount this as one user's experience. The only other eight I
owned was an RG2228 with 27" scale length. The Boden is 26.5-28", but easier to play in the lower registers because of the Endurneck. It's quite comfy too, even though my hands are medium sized
Yeah different strokes for different folks and all that. The endurneck is very much a love/hate thing for people that have used it. It's very polarizing ime.
It's the only neck profile I can say that I hate with a passion and I'm far from picky about neck profiles. For all the claims of bodens being ergonomic I never found them to be very comfortable :shrug:

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I mean, all things considered, our bodies didn't evolve to play the guitar in the first place. So technically, none of it is all that natural. I find the endurneck fascinating. Yes I absolutely want to try one. I like bigger necks generally. Don't know how I'll react to it in my hands. Looks good on paper though. My Oni is more comfortable in a lot of ways than my Suhr is. However, they're different animals entirely.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
@KnightBrolaire : did you try current production models Strandberg 8 strings? Their necks are supposed to be thinner and a bit more rounded than older Bodens. This is true for the 7s at least.

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
Well, I've decided to hold off and keep my guitars for now. They're all pretty great, but some kind of lightweight, ergonomic 8 string is still on the docket for the future. Thanks for the info everyone!

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Well, I've decided to hold off and keep my guitars for now. They're all pretty great, but some kind of lightweight, ergonomic 8 string is still on the docket for the future. Thanks for the info everyone!

If I were in your shoes, I’d save my money, and get something like an Oni or a Padalka. My Oni 8 is lighter than my 6 string Suhr.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score

If you’re not deadset on the headless thing, the Abasi Japanese Larada 8 has an ovoid asymmetrical rounded neck (better than Endureneck IMO) and it’s super lightweight (I can’t feel much difference in weight with Strandbergs). The body is super ergonomic as well (partly thanks to the groove and bump in its shape). I’d definitely go with that if you can find one.

Keel

Reaction score
Figured I'd chime in here, as just this week got a Boden original 8, and my previous main guitar was the schecter banshee 8P in your profile picture. The fretwork on the banshee is slightly better (frets were beautifully rounded off on the banshee, they are slightly sharp on the strandy), but this strandberg kicks ass. Super light weight, the endurneck is awesome, the shape of the body is awesome, the bridge tuners are very, very smooth and accurate, the fan is not very drastic so its not a big deal making the switch, the neck is beautiful, and the pickups sound amazing. And this thing can stay in tune for literally days with heavy play. I can't say enough good things about this guy tbh. It is expensive for an indo made guitar, but this thing plays just as good, if not better than most high end guitars I've played. But take all of that with a grain of salt, as I just got it Tuesday so I'm still in the honeymoon phase. Maybe consider a used original instead of the standard? Fishmans, chambered body for less weight, and swamp ash over basswood (or is it alder? can't remember) just seems like way more bang for your buck.