Strandberg/Boden/S7 Import and customs fees

• Thread starter blanco
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blanco

Reaction score
Ok, I've been hunt for an answer for this for awhile but now i can't be bothered hunt anymore

Basically if i ordered a Boden 7string does the order and payment go to Ola or S7?

Now before i get shot down, the reason for asking if because i live in the EU. So if i purchase the guitar from Ola and Strandberg, but he outsources it, does that mean i've purchased the guitar from Strandberg which is a Swedish company or from S7 which is an american company. If its a swedish company i shouldn't have to pay customs for it because we are both in the EU but if its from an american company i will. Which is a fair amount more, something like £500 i think. If that makes any sense at all.

I guessing it's going to come down to who i'm paying or if the guitar is shipped directly from S7 to me.

Cheers
Sam

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Why have you been hunting for the answer for a while but cant be bothered to hunt for the answer anymore yet havent seemed to even have thought to send an email to the company itself you would be purchasing the guitar from?

Its a good question and Id be curious to know the answer but you should have sent an email as soon as your questions came about. Surely you would have received a reply by now.

When I order a guitar from Mayones it first goes through a dealer/distributor so I dont pay fees. Same thing if I buy a Japanese made guitar from an American company such as Jackson. Strandberg makes a strong point to say that S7 is only a production facility. They dont even take the order or have it on their website because these aren't being treated as S7 guitars. They are Strandberg guitars.

I dont think the country of origin of the company matters. If Strandberg wants to send you the guitar directly from the US then you have to pay the fees.

blanco

Reaction score
Why have you been hunting for the answer for a while but cant be bothered to hunt for the answer anymore yet havent seemed to even have thought to send an email to the company itself you would be purchasing the guitar from?

Its a good question and Id be curious to know the answer but you should have sent an email as soon as your questions came about. Surely you would have received a reply by now.

I don't really want to bother them with the question. Having not purchased yet it would just be taking time from them that they could be making others guitars or answering from customers who have already purchased them. After seeing all the videos from S7 about not replying to emails and the time it takes i don't think it would a valuable waste of time for them to reply to me when somebody on here might have the answer.

When I order a guitar from Mayones it first goes through a dealer/distributor so I dont pay fees. Same thing if I buy a Japanese made guitar from an American company such as Jackson. Strandberg makes a strong point to say that S7 is only a production facility. They dont even take the order or have it on their website because these aren't being treated as S7 guitars. They are Strandberg guitars.

I dont think the country of origin of the company matters. If Strandberg wants to send you the guitar directly from the US then you have to pay the fees.

This is more what i was looking to find out. Strandberg themselves are what i would call the dealer/distributor so it would be an EU based company.

Walterson

Reaction score
I'm not shure, but I think you have to pay VAT on imports from Sweden. And thats 20% at the moment, right? VAT really hurts.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
I think strandberg is the only people/person that can answer that. S7 will make the guitar when the order goes through but from my understanding, the invoice for these guitars is from S7 for a strandberg guitar. You would probably have to ask ola if he could bill you for the guitar and then have it shipped from the US. But my guess is that you will have to pay imports regardless

blanco

Reaction score
VAT sucks massively which is the main reason why i'm trying to find out. Going to ask a few more people before i both either Ola of the S7 lads and hopefully somebody on here who's actually ordered one might be able to give us more of an insight.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I don't really want to bother them with the question. Having not purchased yet it would just be taking time from them that they could be making others guitars or answering from customers who have already purchased them. After seeing all the videos from S7 about not replying to emails and the time it takes i don't think it would a valuable waste of time for them to reply to me when somebody on here might have the answer.

Who gives a fuck about any of that!

Who cares how busy a luthier is and not wanting to bug him. You have a legit question and are a potential legit customer so send that email. Its not your problem that it slows them down. They dont have to respond, thats their choice to make and a part of having an online based company. You want an answer so get that answer. That shouldnt be of concern to you. Send that fuckin email!!

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
From what I understand all invoices go through Strandberg* relating to the Boden line. You should contact Paul DeMaio as he is the rep for Strandberg*/Boden. He's a great guy and I'm sure he'll answer all your questions.

paul@strandbergguitars.com