Strandberg essential 6 - What is your opinion?

• Thread starter narcsoul
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narcsoul

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying strandberg boden essential 6. Unfortunately, I don't have the possibility to test it in my country.
What is your opinion?
* To be honest, I was ready to buy the new charvel san dimas relic....but I'm quite confused and the decision is difficult for me*

Can you help? Thank you

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Those two guitars are so incredibly different and we have zero context of what you're looking for in a guitar, or what you already have so we know your standards. Boden's and San Dimas' are both dual humbucker guitars but that's about the end of the similarities, so not sure what part we can compare.

narcsoul

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Those two guitars are so incredibly different and we have zero context of what you're looking for in a guitar, or what you already have so we know your standards. Boden's and San Dimas' are both dual humbucker guitars but that's about the end of the similarities, so not sure what part we can compare.
Μy main question is what is your opinion about strandberg...

A comparison would be ok...but no nessecery

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
You said you were confused and needed help making a decision....
* To be honest, I was ready to buy the new charvel san dimas relic....but I'm quite confused and the decision is difficult for me*

Can you help? Thank you

Strandbergs are a mixed bag. Some are great, some aren't. Some get attention at the factory, some don't. I've noticed the highest amount of quality variation with this brand, not going to lie. My sample size is maybe 8-10 that I've played or had on my bench, or took in working at Guitar Center. When they're good, they're really good though. They're lightweight, the shape is comfy as hell and very versatile. The necks are comfy for me, a very polarizing feature, so make sure you buy from a place with a return policy.

All that being said, the difference between a San Dimas and a Strandy are massive and you'd be getting two completely different experiences even if both hypothetical guitars were as "perfect" as they could be.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Strandberg QC is something I don't k now if I would worry about in this case; I strongly suggest not buying one without playing first. I hate the necks. Hate them. Some people love them. Are you willing to take that gamble?

I even bought mine after playing a 7 in a store and liking the neck. I think it works better on a 7 than a 6.

I also hate the necks on Charvels. If you like C-shaped necks I would not buy a Charvel sight unseen either.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're comfortable working on the guitar to do a comprehensive setup, or know someone who is, then I don't think you'll have much of a problem. The QC on these isn't great by any stretch, but I've yet to run into a significant enough issue that couldn't be resolved without too much fuss.

But that could happen with almost any guitar these days, so it's par the course buying sight unseen.

As for if you'll like it, it's definitely different than probably anything you've played before, but it's still a guitar.

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
I can only give my thoughts about my own Strandberg. I have a 7-string Boden, hardtail, bolt-on neck.

No QC issues with mine. The only weird thing is: as far as I know this is supposed to have stainless steel frets. I just re-checked the specs and yep, SS frets. But they don't feel "slippery" like some of my guitars that have SS frets. Not a big deal - the frets are fine, just not slippery.

I got mine out last night to play for a few minutes - had been quite a while since I did previously. Once I got it out I wondered why it had been so long. I normally play holding the guitar in the classical guitar position and due to the body shape, it just perfectly sits in that spot. If I wanted to hold it in the normal "electric" guitar style, on my right leg, it works great for that also.

The neck - that's obviously the biggest thing (to me at least). I actually really like the neck (Endurneck). When I originally got it, I bonded with the shape almost immediately. But I have no problem going back to a regular neck shape. Really don't have to think about it. I just play and have absolutely no problems.

If you're worried, see what the return policy is where you're thinking of buying it from. But for me, I'm actually thinking about picking up a 6-string Strandberg sometime in the future.

TheDandy

Reaction score
Echoing the "don't get a Strandberg unless you try one first" comments. I wanted to like the Endurneck on my Boden OS8 so badly but I just couldn't gel with it at all

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Echoing the "don't get a Strandberg unless you try one first" comments. I wanted to like the Endurneck on my Boden OS8 so badly but I just couldn't gel with it at all
The OS series neck is vastly different than the current lineup. I hated the OS neck, but the Prog and Standard I have are the best feeling and playing guitars I have yet to try.

OP - I have two Bodens and I've played 3 more, all have been fantastic. With that said, the model you are asking about I haven't played and have no desire to.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
I've owned a lot of Strandbergs now, I think 8 or 9 now which in hindsight is kind of silly. But I've found them to be akin to Schecter as far as build quality goes. The OS that I had was probably the best built of them, that was an incredible guitar. Whereas I had a purple neck thru boden that had a lot of functionality problems and needed a fret level, some compressed air on the solder contact points and a lot of aesthetic problems. And the others have fallen somewhere in between, none memorable for better or worse in terms of quality. Much more like schecter than say, Kiesel or Ibanez Prestige, other high end brands like that.

The essential will probably be like any other offshore guitar produced by a major factory as far as quality and performance, but it will have the ednurneck and sleek design of a Strandberg which in my eyes makes it invaluable. I'd definitely pick one up.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I've owned a lot of Strandbergs now, I think 8 or 9 now which in hindsight is kind of silly. But I've found them to be akin to Schecter as far as build quality goes. The OS that I had was probably the best built of them, that was an incredible guitar. Whereas I had a purple neck thru boden that had a lot of functionality problems and needed a fret level, some compressed air on the solder contact points and a lot of aesthetic problems. And the others have fallen somewhere in between, none memorable for better or worse in terms of quality. Much more like schecter than say, Kiesel or Ibanez Prestige, other high end brands like that.

The essential will probably be like any other offshore guitar produced by a major factory as far as quality and performance, but it will have the ednurneck and sleek design of a Strandberg which in my eyes makes it invaluable. I'd definitely pick one up.

Could you make a video about it? ;)

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn’t really sold on these until Andre fludd fluffed them up

Agree. I thought multiscale was kinda the shtick with strandys but when he demonstrated the chordal stuff I saw how a straight scale could be beneficial for jazzy stuff.

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
I wasn’t really sold on these until Andre fludd fluffed them up
Same. Although probably I'll wait for the next non-Essential release with the new bridge hardware because really what I want is an 8 string.

kriff

Reaction score
Same. Although probably I'll wait for the next non-Essential release with the new bridge hardware because really what I want is an 8 string.
So I bought one today because it was going at a discount locally on Facebook. Only spent an hour or so with it, but I love it so far.

The flat red finish is not my favourite but it plays really nicely, and the stock pickups are actually pretty decent.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I can ever stop buying used Prestiges I'm going to buy a Strandberg. I love the Endurneck. They are the most comfortable guitars I've played from an ergonomic standpoint. They are also one of the less offensive headless guitars you can get.

kriff

Reaction score
If I can ever stop buying used Prestiges I'm going to buy a Strandberg. I love the Endurneck. They are the most comfortable guitars I've played from an ergonomic standpoint. They are also one of the less offensive headless guitars you can get.
Yeah I wasn't sure how it'd be on a six string but the neck is so nice. My only issue now is that you can't adjust the action with the strings under tension, still. Bit of a pain to set up.