The Les Paul thread

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
I like a heavy top skinny bottom set myself for that reason. Allows me to vibrato to my hearts content while also having some meat with heavy riffing (and helps offset me making the low strings go sharp with my heavy hand). I moved to 10-46 on my LP in standard, but I'm thinking a 9-46 might be slightly better.

After about $1000 in work on my 75 LPC (SS frets, fretboard refinish, new tusq xl nut, BKPs) it is now my favorite guitar to play.

Did you do 6100 size jumbo SS?

I'm thinking about SS frets for my LPC soon, but can't help thinking maybe medium jumbos would be enough.....

soliloquy

Reaction score
If I could actually play a guitar with lighter strings in tune, I’d have 7’s or 8’s on everything. I completely agreed with that Beato video, thinner strings have more snap/attack to them and I prefer the way the sustained tone sounds with thinner strings. I’ve been using 10-46 in standard but I have 4 or 5 guitars with 10-52’s I keep in D-standard/Drop-C that I put in standard all the time.

This is my own guitar nerdy shit that others would scoff at, but to me it sounds like the thicker the strings, the more mids are present in the unplugged sound of them and less of the ‘natural guitar’ sound is present. I went up to 11’s on one of my Strats and absolutely hated the sound of them, just dull and lacking that snap.

I can see why some people say they make for a “bigger” or “thicker” tone, we just have different ways of getting tones.

In line with that Beatio/Shull video, Agufish is another great example of this. Think what you may of him, but I believe he plays all his guitars with 9-42s and 9-46s. He sounds epic with his mixes.

It should sound like a les paul (moreso if you put a lower output pickup in the bridge) :yesway:

People asking more for these even though iirc they didnt sell too well cracks me up. Pretty sure this is the smartwood model?

Yeah thats my BFG for you. When they first launched, the price was between $650-800 CAD, and they didn't sell too well in 2006ish era. Fast forward a decade, and people are selling them for $1500+?

okay...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I think I’m set on LPC’s for a long time now, haha, still gotta get the black one refinished!
Yeah but you wont find a 76 like this this cheap in freedom bucks ;)

and I'm a Weight Weenie so fuck 11lbs but this thing is *gorgeous*

wiretap

Reaction score
Yeah but you wont find a 76 like this this cheap in freedom bucks ;)

Damn, that silver one looks brand new.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Did you do 6100 size jumbo SS?

I'm thinking about SS frets for my LPC soon, but can't help thinking maybe medium jumbos would be enough.....
Guess it depends on your preference and what you mean by medium jumbo.

I've had LPs with Jescar 57110, 55090, 47104, 47095, and 45100 frets. I much prefer the 57110. 55090 is ok. Anything lower I have to top wrap the strings because I can't grip the strings well enough to bend quickly without the reduced stiffness. IME IMHO etc.

Forgot I have one with 58118. That one is the best but apparently be careful who you ask to do the refret because some have told me it's difficult to radius well/accurately because of its thickness.

Shorts_Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Damn thats beautiful.

Mk7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Going to get me what some may call an ugly duckling LP purely because it appeals to exactly for this reason ... an Gibson LP Studio Swamp Ash.
View attachment 146245

Super curious as to how it sounds and what I will do to modify it :D
Quick update: Did not manage to get it, but got additional photos that showed it was far from "mint" as the seller advertised it as. Might have dodged a bullet.