String: Lets share fav string and why you prefer that..

• Thread starter Nytkrow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nytkrow

Reaction score
So it is about string.. which one do you prefer and why .. express about the string...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
Love Love Love the GHS ZW 10-60 set on my 6 string Gibson Gothic Les Paul. It can tune to E, but usually resides in Eb, D, drop C. The tone is amazing.

I haven't found a set to marry for my 7 string EpiGoth. I may try a hybrid of string gauges based around the ZW 11-70

manana

Reaction score
elixir nanoweb medium-heavy. I have been using elixirs forever. They are a little more expensive but you can find good deals. They last(YMMV) about a year for me without rusting. All while maintaining a good sound. I like the nanoweb because the polys have too much coating and sound dull and then rust. Its their older line.

gearhead

Reaction score
D'Addario XL's - EXL110-7 for the sevens, EXL120 for sixes, and EXL110W (wound 3rd) for my custom 6. Coated for the acoustics - EXP17 & EXP38 for the twelve. D'Addarios are the only strings that have held up to my playing style - all others I tried failed me in the past & I stick with what works.

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
I like d'addario half wounds. I use the 'light top - heavy bottom' set with a regular XL nickel wound .66 for my B string. I use them because I like the smoother feel and thicker sound compared to roundwounds, but brighter sound compared to flatwounds. Its the perfect middleground for me. And they last quite a bit longer than roundwounds. They also seem to have pretty high tension, which I prefer. My set up is as follows:

Raines Fusion Elite 7 String Semihollow
Standard B tuning
e - .10 steel
b - .13 steel
G - .17 steel
D - .30 half wound
A - .42 half wound
E - .52 half wound (occasionally I'll put a .56 nickel wound here instead)
B - .66 Nickel wound

Antimatter

Reaction score
I like d'addario half wounds. I use the 'light top - heavy bottom' set with a regular XL nickel wound .66 for my B string. I use them because I like the smoother feel and thicker sound compared to roundwounds, but brighter sound compared to flatwounds. Its the perfect middleground for me. And they last quite a bit longer than roundwounds. They also seem to have pretty high tension, which I prefer. My set up is as follows:

Raines Fusion Elite 7 String Semihollow
Standard B tuning
e - .10 steel
b - .13 steel
G - .17 steel
D - .30 half wound
A - .42 half wound
E - .52 half wound (occasionally I'll put a .56 nickel wound here instead)
B - .66 Nickel wound

You use a .052 for the low E?
How tight is that?

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
D'Addario EJ22 or thier light or medium 7 string sets

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
My favorites are Dean Markley Blue Steel. Everyone shits on them and makes all sorts of complaints like they're dead sounding or wear frets faster but I haven't found any of that in like 14 years or more of use.

Problem is the narrow availability of gauges. So on my 7-string I have to use a single D'addario .062 for the lowest string (tuned to A) and on my 6-string I use an Ernie Ball 7-string set where I ditch the highest string as I tune it down to B.

Rev.

Kalem

Reaction score
For the six-string: Dean Markley Blue Steel 011-052
For the seven-string: Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 010-056

I really like these two sound-wise.
Gauges can change in time however I do not want to go too beefy on the 7s.

Miss D Corona

Reaction score
I usually use Elixir nanowebs, generally 10's although I do vary the gauge quite a bit. They sound great, play great, and they last for months!

I also like D'Addario XL's although the Elixirs work out cheaper for me

Rex Rocker

Reaction score
DAddarioEXL1207SuperLite7StringElectricGuitarStringsStandard.jpg

I use this on my 6-string tuned to Drop C. I throw the high e from that set away, obviously.

Fred

Reaction score
I realised the other day that I've never really paid a huge amount of attention to the strings I use... It's normally a case of Elixir Nanowebs if I can afford them and anything else if I can't. That finally started changing when I realised how much I loved the Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom (10-52) sets for my electrics, and tomorrow I should be getting a set each of:

Rotosound Nickel-Plated 10-52
GHS Boomers 10-52
Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52

The plan is to record a couple of things each time I first try a new set and to write down initial impressions. Anal, I know, but I'd quite like to find out which brand I like best. Interested to see what effect the price difference has, too - the Rotosound are the cheapest (only £3.90 a set on stringbusters), and the EB the most expensive.

I also ordered a set of 13-56 Rotosounds and 14-59 D'Addarios for one of my acoustics, which I plan on using for various alternate tunings based around C standard. I'm hoping the Rotosounds are nice because I've just put some D'Addario 10s on my little brother's acoustic and they feel fucking horrible at the moment... :rant:.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
Last time i tried out elixirs, i hated the way they sounded. my favorites are ClearTone EMP strings because they seem to last forever. Although I just bought a set of DR DDT 11-54s and in the past ive used the dimebag string sets from DR and have been very pleased.

Currently have a set of half-round D'addarios on my tele. They look and feel really old. dont know if i just get a bad set or if they are suppost to feel like this ?

snowblind56

Reaction score
My favorites are Dean Markley Blue Steel. Everyone shits on them and makes all sorts of complaints like they're dead sounding or wear frets faster but I haven't found any of that in like 14 years or more of use.

Problem is the narrow availability of gauges. So on my 7-string I have to use a single D'addario .062 for the lowest string (tuned to A) and on my 6-string I use an Ernie Ball 7-string set where I ditch the highest string as I tune it down to B.

Rev.

I used Dean Markley Blue Steels for the longest time. I did like the way that they sounded. But I did notice the chewed up the frets quicker. I switched to DR and couldn't be happier.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I have always used Ernie Ball until fairly recently.
I am now using D'addarios. I don't think I am very picky about strings, but I think these may sound slightly better. I am aware they are lasting me a bit longer. The coloured ball ends are cute, too :scream:

The main reason I like them is because they offer a wide range of single strings all the way up to .080 from .007 and you can order them straight from their website (I'm sure it would be impossible to find their big ones anywhere else). They also have a great selection of string sets for all preferences. It's great to know I'll be able to stick with normal strings on my future fanned 9 30"-27" Low Eb-High Ab.

Currently I am using EXL110+ set in standard tuning.

With a NW066 for my low A. Fits the set perfectly unlike the flabby crap you get in 7 string sets :hbang:

When I'm not playing with my band I'm going down a semitone into drop G# 11-49 + 70.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
elixir nanoweb, my sweat is as acidic as xenomorph blood. these are the only strings that dont rust up and start stinking after a week of me playing them :)

Latest posts