Stripped tremolo screws...

Bucketheadtwo

ΔSCΞΠD BΞYΘΠD
Reaction score
So, I'm a little screwed right now.
You know those two screws in the back of a tremolo bridge? The ones you adjust to tighten and loosen the tension of the bridge against the strings?
Well, the heads of those are stripped in my Ibanez Xiphos (Edge 3? I think that's what it is). I have to push really tight just to move them and even when I was careful, they started to strip. Now, after a super loosening to put in a wooden block and a tightening to pit the trem back in loose (all of this done over time), the screw heads are stripped and unuseable.

What do I do? :wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
tumblr_md0w8vu94W1qc8lt5.jpg

Bucketheadtwo

ΔSCΞΠD BΞYΘΠD
Reaction score
Sorry, had to post that. No offense meant.

Just replace them with this Tremolo Claw Screws Bulk | Allparts.com

None taken.
I looked at the link and thought "What? $20!" then realized it said bulk.
It took me a couple of seconds to realize why I would need those in bulk. :lol:

Now I just need a way to remove a super stripped screw that's deep in a guitar...

mwcarl

Reaction score
I'd just cut the screws near the head and then unscrew them out using pliers. You should then be able to replace them with screws that have the same size and thread using the existing screw holes. Just be careful not to ding the guitar while reefing on the screws.

Reaction score
None taken.
I looked at the link and thought "What? $20!" then realized it said bulk.
It took me a couple of seconds to realize why I would need those in bulk. :lol:

Now I just need a way to remove a super stripped screw that's deep in a guitar...

Don't cut the screws. Take a heavy plier and screw it out by the head of the screw.

mwcarl

Reaction score
Don't cut the screws. Take a heavy plier and screw it out by the head of the screw.

The only reason I think cutting the screw is better is that there is more room in the cavity to work with when the tremolo claw is out. Also you lessen the chance that you damage the claw.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I reckon that screw extractors may work as well.

Replace them with a Robertson screw and all your problems will be solved.

Bucketheadtwo

ΔSCΞΠD BΞYΘΠD
Reaction score
I removed the trem claw screws with a pair of linesman's pliers that I had lying around. I blocked the trem off with my wood block (bridge is at level angle) and then unhooked the springs. Since I've blocked it and only the strings are pulling on the bridge, will it be unstable? I tuned it back to standard and it's blocked one way, so that you can't push it in the "detune" direction. The springs and claw are just loose with the back cavity plate keeping everything inside.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Since I set up my Floyds once for every string change and then only fine tune for changes in temperature and huimidity with the claw in the back, I really can't be bothered with the regular claw. I've installed the Schaller Sure Claw to make life loads easier.

Khaerruhl

Reaction score
It should be fine with stability and such. I blocked off the trem on my old Ibanez from 86 with an Edge original, and it's doing just fine. :)

Bucketheadtwo

ΔSCΞΠD BΞYΘΠD
Reaction score
Since I set up my Floyds once for every string change and then only fine tune for changes in temperature and huimidity with the claw in the back, I really can't be bothered with the regular claw. I've installed the Schaller Sure Claw to make life loads easier.

After a quick Googling, that thing sounds like the single greatest musical invention that I have ever come by. I'LL TAKE 20.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Well, i personally love the hell out of it. A well balanced, full-floating tremolo will only need a minor adjustment of the springs to get it back in tune after you've moved it, and with the Sure Claw you can do so even without removing the back cover.

The only downside is that they don't allow you to have more than three springs, so you'll have to go for heavy duty ones instead of increasing the number.

Latest posts