Stupid Things You Used to Believe About Music/Guitars

• Thread starter groverj3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
This idea was all the rage during the NuMetal era.

Open drop tunings were so anyone could play guitar and anyone who used them sucked and couldn't really play.

*insert Devin Townsend doing virtuoso shit in open C*

anigif_optimized-9176-1428539383-9.gif

EDIT: Fuck you @Spicypickles :lol:

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
These were things that were told to me by my school's guitar teacher,

"You HAVE to master an acoustic before you can even get an electric."

"There's no reason for heavy gauge strings for downtuning when you can use a capo or transpose the chord. :)"

"7-string guitars are only needed if you do not have a bassist."

And the one that stuck with me forever
"Sorry, if you do not have a band or a drummer, I can't let you perform on our guitar showcase talent show."

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I shook myself out of this one quickly.

That good players always can play well regardless of the quality of gear they have. Sure, it's a component, but if you give someone a shit guitar they'll sound mediocre at best. My first guitar teacher thought this. I had to play one of his other students' guitars at an open jam because I wasn't intending to play, was just checking it out, and didn't bring mine. It had the worst action I'd ever seen. When I explained that it didn't play well, he didn't think that was a good reason for sounding pretty bad. Didn't take lessons from him after that.

Last edited:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This idea was all the rage during the NuMetal era...
I even ran into it recently from A CLASSICAL guitar instructor. I was asking if he would work through a Russian Classical Guitar method book, and it got poo-poo'ed because:
  1. It was in an open tuning
  2. It required a 7-string guitar
At least fingerpicking pejoratives were left out.

Reaction score
Tying in with the open tuning thing.

There's this idea that you need to be held by some standards guitarists have made up in their heads before you can be considered a "real musician".

Whether you can shred like Vai or only play a shaky version of hot cross buns..if you're where you want to be that's all that matters.

Something I learned after beating myself up over not being the next guitar god. You only need to be as good as it takes to play what's in you to play. Got riffs in your head? If you can play them then you've won. Doesn't matter if you can't beat Satriani in a shred-off. None of that shit matters.

Going back to the open tuning thing, are you using an open tuning to make music? Congrats, you're a "real musician". There's no law that says you need to do much else.

It will never matter how technically skilled you are because there will be guitarists out there who will claim you're a hack and they can do better. Stop chasing the brass ring. Play them powerchords and have fun. You're already doing better than the dude practicing for hours at a time just so he can "beat" other guitarists. He'll never win, but you did.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tying in with the open tuning thing. ... There's this idea that you need to be held by some standards guitarists have made up in their heads before you can be considered a "real musician". ...
OK, one last "vent". When I lived in Baltimore, Peabody Institute required applicants to rote-memorize one of the acceptable improvisations for any audition piece where the original sheet music was noted "improvise here". I don't recall if this applied to all auditions, or just Classical Guitarists.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
I even ran into it recently from A CLASSICAL guitar instructor. I was asking if he would work through a Russian Classical Guitar method book, and it got poo-poo'ed because:
  1. It was in an open tuning
  2. It required a 7-string guitar
At least fingerpicking pejoratives were left out.

I've never heard of this anti-finger picking sentiment. Who the hell is trying to say finger picking is easy?!

Reaction score
OK, one last "vent". When I lived in Baltimore, Peabody Institute required applicants to rote-memorize one of the acceptable improvisations for any audition piece where the original sheet music was noted "improvise here". I don't recall if this applied to all auditions, or just Classical Guitarists.

Baltimore seems to be the hot bed for idiotic art methods taught by schools that take themselves too seriously. MICA is the same way. All of those kids think going to MICA means they are legendary artists. The vast majority of them can't find their asses with both hands and have been brainwashed into a bunch of silly practices so much that they can't even make art. They just get lost in the steps you take before you take the steps to prepare to take the steps to make art.

I've worked with quite a few. It amazes me how you ask some random artist who's never been anywhere near a school to do something and they make gold. Ask a MICA kid? They tell you it's gonna take 2 years and several meetings before they can even think about getting it done. Yes...that has literally happened.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I don't get the hate for open tuning. I mean...
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
That's the thing, I can't play what I need to play to get the riffs out :lol:.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Because stupid people think the more difficult something is the more "gooder" you must be. So if it's simple then it's wrong.

As if the greatest guitar riffs of all time aren't simple shit.

I mean, I kinda get it...I got into metal around the time when most tabs were 000--00-0-000. But regardless of your opinion of Dimebag, Walk has a bitching riff and it's 2 notes.

But to expand on that, and double down on my Unknown Hinson post, I grew up listening to both kinds of music until I became a punk ass teenager, and all I could listen to was "devil music" and of course I had to make sure I only listened to the "good" metal bands. Then I got to the point where I just ran of fucks to give.

Good music is good music, even if it's not your thing. Now I can listen to a song and even if I don't like it, I still try to find something good about it. I mean, hell, even Nickelback has some decent production and nails being a radio rock band (and Animals is a guilty pleasure song).