Suggest a cab for Engl Fireball

Mastermind

Reaction score
Hi, I got Engl fireball 60 and Iam looking for the right cab for me.

Iam torn between engl or marshall greenback cab and engl or orange v30. The thing is, I really liked my Marshall MG412 cab, but it was not that "huge". So I bought HB 212 Vintage, which is a cheap cab with celestion v30s, but I am dissapointed, because that MG was better. So I dont know if I should get greenback cab (as far as I know MG is imitating greenbacks) or risk it with better v30s.

I play in D standart with EMG 81/81 configuration.

Here is an example of our music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRwxGJ1SUqU

Please suggest the cab for me, thanks :).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
The ENGL V30 cab is very aggressive and great for darker sounding amps (like the fireball).

beyondcosmos

Reaction score
Engl with V30s or an Engl with greenbacks.

OR A VADER.

CONSIDER PICKING UP A VADER IF IT'S IN GOOD CONDITION.

MrPowers

Reaction score
Hi, I got Engl fireball 60 and Iam looking for the right cab for me.

Iam torn between engl or marshall greenback cab and engl or orange v30. The thing is, I really liked my Marshall MG412 cab, but it was not that "huge". So I bought HB 212 Vintage, which is a cheap cab with celestion v30s, but I am dissapointed, because that MG was better. So I dont know if I should get greenback cab (as far as I know MG is imitating greenbacks) or risk it with better v30s.

I play in D standart with EMG 81/81 configuration.

Here is an example of our music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRwxGJ1SUqU

Please suggest the cab for me, thanks :).

What was it that you liked better about the Marshall cab? Did it just have a bigger sound? Or did you like it better because it was smoother? Had less high end?

I ask because V30 speakers aren't for everyone. Some people just don't like them. When thats the case, usually I recommend a cabinet with Celestion G12K-100's. For example the Orange PPC412HP. They are truly monstrous sounding cabs.

Mesa makes great cabs, but that doesn't necessarily mean they you will like their V30's better. I had 2 Mesa Rectifier cabs, but ended up selling them both when I realized that I liked the sound of a Framus Dragon cabinet more. In my opinion, there is nothing inherently better about Mesa cabinets (at least sonically). It all comes down to what you like.

Mastermind

Reaction score
What was it that you liked better about the Marshall cab? Did it just have a bigger sound? Or did you like it better because it was smoother? Had less high end?

I ask because V30 speakers aren't for everyone. Some people just don't like them. When thats the case, usually I recommend a cabinet with Celestion G12K-100's. For example the Orange PPC412HP. They are truly monstrous sounding cabs.

Mesa makes great cabs, but that doesn't necessarily mean they you will like their V30's better. I had 2 Mesa Rectifier cabs, but ended up selling them both when I realized that I liked the sound of a Framus Dragon cabinet more. In my opinion, there is nothing inherently better about Mesa cabinets (at least sonically). It all comes down to what you like.

Yes, it was the smoothness and there was not that squeeling mid spike. However I find out, that v30s in my HB cab really do sound different than other v30s, probably because mine are chinese. Btw I was trying Framus Dragon 4x12 cab and I did not like it with my fireball, mostly because flabby low end (however with peavey 5150 it was very good).

Problem is, that I dont have the luxury to try high end cabs, local music stores just dont have them in stock, so I am basically going blindly with hit or miss. Thats why I posted the youtube link too, because it is not very aggressive music, so classic combo - engl with v30s might not work here.

MrPowers

Reaction score
Yes, it was the smoothness and there was not that squeeling mid spike. However I find out, that v30s in my HB cab really do sound different than other v30s, probably because mine are chinese. Btw I was trying Framus Dragon 4x12 cab and I did not like it with my fireball, mostly because flabby low end (however with peavey 5150 it was very good).

Problem is, that I dont have the luxury to try high end cabs, local music stores just dont have them in stock, so I am basically going blindly with hit or miss. Thats why I posted the youtube link too, because it is not very aggressive music, so classic combo - engl with v30s might not work here.

How high do you usually turn up the bass on your head? And do you use any overdrive or EQ before your amp?

And a Mesa cab may be better as far as sounding a little smoother, but it's not going to completely get rid of that high-mid spike.

Mastermind

Reaction score
How high do you usually turn up the bass on your head? And do you use any overdrive or EQ before your amp?

And a Mesa cab may be better as far as sounding a little smoother, but it's not going to completely get rid of that high-mid spike.

I do not like a bassy sound, its about 10 o clock.

Other controls are: gain at 10 o clock, mids on 2, highs on 9-10 and presence on 1-2.

I dont use ovedrive pedal, just fireball second chanel, and for crunch I just roll of some volume on guitar.

Last edited:

MrPowers

Reaction score
After listening to the song you posted more closely, I would say Greenbacks would probably work better for that kind of tone. I would guess they would get a little bit flabby as well at high volumes though.

The G12K-100 would also probably work, and would definitely not get flabby at high volumes. But they may have too much bass for you, especially in the Orange cabinet.

Mastermind

Reaction score
After listening to the song you posted more closely, I would say Greenbacks would probably work better for that kind of tone. I would guess they would get a little bit flabby as well at high volumes though.

The G12K-100 would also probably work, and would definitely not get flabby at high volumes. But they may have too much bass for you, especially in the Orange cabinet.

Thank you very much, greenback it is then :)

MrPowers

Reaction score
Obviously, if you can, try them out first. Or order from a vendor that offers a return policy, although I'm not sure that is as common in Europe as it is here.

I would also listen to as many comparison demos as you can. They are some great Greenback/V30 comparison's on youtube.

I really like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KbS1NUaP6I

I do have one more question, how long have you been using the Harley Benton cabinet? And did you buy it brand new?