Suggest me some modern death metal

• Thread starter Rizzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Hi folks, i've been thinking i'm not that much "up to date" with modern metal bands, especially extreme ones.
I'd like to hear some interesting modern death stuff, but not "trying-too-hard-to-sound-over-the-top" stuff. Think something as the band Death at present day.
Something heavy, technical, fast, but still with a nice amount of melody and tasteful composition.

Your turn, post the sh*t! :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Orgalmer

Chuggasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Oh man, I'm gonna have a field day with this. Sorry if you already know some of these or they have core/brutal/other elements in their style, but I'm just gonna throw some names out there that you'd probably dig:

Job For A Cowboy
Deeds of Flesh
Psycroptic
Spawn of Possession
Vader
Cephalic Carnage
Beneath the Massacre
Neuraxis
Necrophagist
Cryptopsy
The Black Dahlia Murder

I just saw there's another thread already for this exact same topic:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ge...best-modern-death-tech-death-metal-bands.html

So perhaps also check that.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions! I'll check the other thread in the meantime :)

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Cannabis Corpse, if you can get past the silly name and lyrics, is like if you took Cannibal Corpse and cleaned up everything about it's sound, and then wrote better riffs.

^The song starts slow, but it gets really cranking, especially at 2:05 and the riff it goes into after

Recently whenever I'm in the mood for oldschool stuff with a modern edge I turn on some Cannabis Corpse!

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
^ can't give Spawn of Possession enough praise. The apparition is to date, my favorite use of lyrics in changing how the song sounds. As you go back through their time line stuff slowly gets less techy and orchestra(ey) and becomes heavier.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Aegaeon is a really good band, listen to "reshaping the multiverse". Soooo good.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I'd say Allegeon and Beyond Creation are definitely worth checking out.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
If you specify Technical Death Metal I could go on for days...SoP, Beyond Creation, Obscura, Wormed, Martyr, Defeated Sanity, Severed Savior, Gorguts, Viraemia (dismissed as wankery by many, but not me :hbang: )

Ominous death metal from the slightly less known:

Lots of different types of death metal out there, we're only scratching the surface here :lol:

Yimmj

Metalhead
Reaction score
Seems a little more thrashy to me^

But yeah i agree

cannabis corpse
black dahlia murder
Gloria Morti's Lateral Constraint
Job For A Cowboy (New Album :D)
All Shall Perish - This is Where it Ends

davemeistro

Reaction score
Seems a little more thrashy to me^

But yeah i agree

cannabis corpse
black dahlia murder
Gloria Morti's Lateral Constraint
Job For A Cowboy (New Album :D)
All Shall Perish - This is Where it Ends

Yeah, Revocation is definitely pretty thrashy. But the qualities OP was looking for were: "heavy, technical, fast, but still with a nice amount of melody and tasteful composition", which I think Revocation fits nicely :)

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Allegaeon and The Black Dahlia Murder are definitely my favorite in the death metal world.

Necky379

Reaction score
Came to recommend The Black Dahlia Murder, looks like it's been said three times already. Regardless, I recommend you check out The Black Dahlia Murder.