Sweeping

• Thread starter The Bludgeoned
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I want to start learning how to sweep 3 string patterns first then get harder but I really don't know where to begin can you recommend a site with videos I can watch or something?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i highly suggest practicing with a metronome at low speeds first.its no good to be fast and sloppy ;) if you practice slow and pay close attention to how clean you are it will pay off in the end.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
What jym said. Take it slow, once your timing is down, it'll all be really simple.

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
A lot of extremely fast complicated sounding sweeps are based of two or three simple patterns. Take it slow find shapes that are comfortable, probably ones that don't involve barring and take it from there. Once the coordination comes you should be well on your way, oh and what everyone else said is correct too.

Necky379

Reaction score
the advice i got in this thread helped me a lot. http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/mu...niques/106693-how-do-you-practice-sweeps.html

other than that, find 1 pattern that is comfortable for you to play to start things off. there's tons of patterns but some may be easier for you than others. later (as the above thread says) it's a good idea to mix in some other ones to practice along side the one you started with.

don't give up. i feel like i was an extremely slow learner with sweeping (it took me close to 4 years! :wallbash: ) but when you get it, the time you spent is worth it.

there's a ton of threads on sweeping in this section as well that might help, just give it a search

good luck!

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Three strings, many possible complications :)

First of all - learn your triad shapes so you know where your fingers are going. Then.....have a really good think over a coffee...why?

I'm going to paste in something I was working on, it may or may not make sense....:lol:..

Don't be fooled into thinking one methodology of sweep picking represents the pinnacle - one of the very best methods I found for sweep picking and it's development was experimenting with when and where I wanted to use upstrokes and down strokes as well as pull-offs - this is not as straightforward as it might seem.
As with alternate picking it's necessary to synchronise the two hands and ensure that one particular tendency that often occurs is prevented from doing so - a particularly bad habit where the prospective sweeper gets so carried away with the technique that they rush the easier sections of a phrase, normally those involving constant pick movement in one direction.

Take this pattern:

E---12-15-12---
B--13------13--
G-14--------14-

Now, with that simple Am arpeggio there are a few different ways to approach the picking.
First would be Down, Down, Down, Up, Pulloff, Up, Down. The problem here is that you move from an upstroke to a downstroke by bringing your hand up over the G string - its one motion too many.
Second is to do Up, Down, Down, Up, Down, Up, Up giving you the same amount of notes with less right hand movement.
You could even go Down, Down, Down, Hammeron, Pulloff, Up, but I personally never liked that feeling of seperation between the hand movement and the notes (just a personal foilble - its definately a popular approach).

Muting: Be sure that you mute appropriately in order to keep the notes seperate. I was a huge fan of Frank Gambale and always used the tip of whichever finger was playing to mute the adjacent string below, as well as all the strings above the one I was playing. Combined with the palm of the right hand on the rest of the strings below it meant that not only could I play with a lot of gain and remain clean, it also allowed me to move my right hand a little more in order to keep the angle between wrist and pick more comfortable whilst picking on the higher strings (again, might just be a personal preference but wedging my wrist in one spot and keeping it there felt decidedly alien).

Metronome - start off slowly as usual and build up your speed as I'm sure your familiar with. Whenever you reach a speed you feel comfortable at, but beyond which your technique falls apart don't stop. Instead, set the metronome a couple of clicks even higher and attempt to play the lick. Shawn Lane was an advocate of that technique simply to change your mindset a little. Mr Baxter went on to compare it to training for an athletic event - to get the very best performance you have to push your capabilities (in a safe manner) beyond your percieved limitations. When you go back to your "safe" tempo you'll find the lick feels significantly easier.
Last thoughts - Kill two birds with one stone and as you practice the arpeggios (especially as you start with triads) work through the string groups and inversions on each set of strings to get the shapes and sounds firmly lodged in your mind. After you know (for example) the Am over the whole neck you can start practicing "stacks" across the neck (yep, 4, 5, 6 string arpeggio's) as well as movement between positions with the emphasis on breaking out of the traditional shapes and incorporating slides/taps/legato to ascend the neck......and as much as I hate to say it in a topic on sweep picking; sometimes the best arpeggios are those which mix techniques and note groupings in order to generate a less predictable sound than we're used to hearing with the atypical sweeping.

Last thing - this is a link of mine to a collection of articles called "Guitar Gym" for a UK Publication called "Guitar Techniques". It's an extremely helpful introduction to building technique with picking, sweeping, legato....hopefully it will be of some use:

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Guitar Gym.rar

Reaction score
Thought I should also add that I find 3 string sweeps really awkward and weird so if you're having a lot of trouble with them you might just want to skip ahead to five or four. Heed this advice as your own risk though :ugh: