T.V. shows you've been watching

• Thread starter pushpull7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
OK, forget what I said about Physical 100 season 2. We just watched three episodes that were horribly boring. I ended up having to pull out the laptop and work on writing while I waited for the team challenge that only had individuals competing (yeah, don't ask me) that may possibly be the most boring thing I've ever watched on any television show. I keep waiting for the show to pick up, and they just keep doing more of the mine cart / push a bag thing that just bores me to tears.

On the bright side, plenty of time to work on outlining while this nonsense goes on in the background.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I finished the 3 Body Problem. You could rip out all the dialog and condense the entire series into a 4 minute tech death music video without losing anything. I liked it in parts, but probably won't slog through a second season at all. Especially after how flat the final episode of this season landed for me personally. It's just a vehicle for dramatized hen clucking in my opinion, and like many "sci-fi" shows, the science takes a gigantic backseat to suffocating interpersonal fiction revolving around characters I don't especially care for while ignoring or countering the logical diorama that itself has established otherwise.

Been working my way through Shogun as it gets released. Pleased so far. Could use a lot less romance and lot more killing, hopefully it's on the way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Just finished The Gentlemen. I always think I don't like those kinds of shows/movies, but I did very much enjoy Lock, Stock back in the day, enjoyed Snatch, and I gotta say, I really enjoyed this too. Interesting characters, compelling schemes, it definitely kept me invested.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Walker, Texas Ranger -- I'm a big fan of Chuck Norris and this show is pretty spectacularly done. In my opinion, it's on of those 90s shows that narrowed the gap between TV shows and movies.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
We've been rewatching Dexter the last week or so since it came on Netflix recently. Definitely can feel its age and a lot of "because movie/TV" plot devices (like every time Dexter chokes someone out or clubs them over the head instead of using tranq before setting them up for a kill). That said, it's still a lot of fun and one of my partner's favourites.

It did remind me of when I started dating my ex back in 2011 and she told me of a conversation with one of her friend who wanted to know about me. He asked her what TV or movie character I was most like and she answered "uhhhh I guess Dexter" which at the time I was like "hey wtf I'm not out here murdering folks" but now with the gift of hindsight I can say "yeah I definitely was so awkward that I appeared to be on the spectrum back then." And tbf, jury's still out.

Last edited:

nightflameauto

Reaction score
The Squid Game spin-off reality show is mind-blowingly fantastic. The first contest is the same, and some of the reactions to getting paint-pellet shot are truly spectacular, while others are lame as shit. But man, the drama among those folks when they realize, "Uh, no, you're actually about to get shot on the red-light, green-light challenge."

Also, if you were a a fan of "The Glass Bridge" in the original, lots to like in this version. I'd almost say I'd rather watch this than the original.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Just coming off Wrestlemania week/end. My favorite line of commentary was delivered right at the end of night 2: "Pro-wrestling is back!" IYKYK.

With that in the rearview, I gotta catch up with the finale for Tokyo Vice (don't spoil it!), then I'm either gonna finish up on S2 of STSNW, or start the new Shogun series.

In RE to @BlackMastodon rewatching Dexter: I'll be curious to see how y'all feel about the later seasons on this go-around. I'm in the camp of 'could have been better,' but not in the camp of 'there are only four seasons of this show.' :lol:

Demiurge

Reaction score
In RE to @BlackMastodon rewatching Dexter: I'll be curious to see how y'all feel about the later seasons on this go-around. I'm in the camp of 'could have been better,' but not in the camp of 'there are only four seasons of this show.' :lol:
I did a rewatch of the series before the 'revival' season, and while I think the first four seasons are better, the latter ones kind of tarnished everything. Dexter was always the beneficiary of dumb luck & plot armor to keep him out of trouble. It becomes more noticeable in rewatch because as Dexter's secrets come out to more people in later seasons, the contrivances just get dumber and dumber, and then you can't not-see it in review of the early seasons.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I thought WM40 was a middling affair. Still doing dumb shit Vince would've. I skipped the main event of night 1 (45 minutes to see the obvious outcome? Pass!), the first match of night 2 (yawn; Damien Priest can go be the champion of Main Event), and a handful of others.

Night 2's main event was a glorified cameo reel from a bunch of random people. "OH, look who's run in now!" Outcome is fine, but the match itself is a mediocre first showing for HHH.

Sami Zayn is a bathroom break. Not too fond of Owens either.

The 6 women tag team match was, just on its face, kind of gross. Pass.

The Rhea Ripley and Becky Lynch match was probably the best pro wrestling match that night.

Without Gunther, Sami's match would've been the drizzling shits.

The Rey Mysterio tag match was enjoyable.

The Street Profits and Lashley vs Authors of Pain and Karrion Kross was enjoyable enough.

Overall, promoting alcohol to children is gross. Either stop bleeping the cussing or stop cussing. Pro wrestling is back? Lol, do better, HHH. This is a minor step up from Vince at his worst, but pales in comparison to Vince at his best.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
We tend to watch Great North right before bed when it's on as a relaxer, but last nights had me cracking up. Having Beef lose it over a girl so hard that he literally went out into the woods to fight a bear to avoid dealing with it had me laughing, then he doubled down and got himself stuck out on an outcropping right over a falls, talking a big game, as the bear comes at him again. And he still wouldn't admit what put him there.

I would have never thought Offerman's base character work would translate so well to a cartoon, but read that plotline and tell me you can't see his character from Parks & Rec doing the same story. As cool as it is to see him branch out (Devs was awe inspiring), seeing him go full man-mode in cartoon form is really working for him.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
We tend to watch Great North right before bed when it's on as a relaxer, but last nights had me cracking up. Having Beef lose it over a girl so hard that he literally went out into the woods to fight a bear to avoid dealing with it had me laughing, then he doubled down and got himself stuck out on an outcropping right over a falls, talking a big game, as the bear comes at him again. And he still wouldn't admit what put him there.

I would have never thought Offerman's base character work would translate so well to a cartoon, but read that plotline and tell me you can't see his character from Parks & Rec doing the same story. As cool as it is to see him branch out (Devs was awe inspiring), seeing him go full man-mode in cartoon form is really working for him.
I also THOROUGHLY enjoyed Offerman's character in season 2 of Fargo, especially his drunken rambling in the one episode.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
I finished 3 Body Problem. I liked it and would watch a second season.

Looking forward to Thursday so I can be potentially disappointed by the Fallout series.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
After finishing season 2 of Dexter last night, I completely forgot about how much cheese there was in that show. I remembered it being way darker and closer to Hannibal, but it's just straight up goofy half the time and some of the "intense" action sequences and gratuitous slow-mom's feel like they're straight out of the 90's with their unintentional campiness.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Fallout ep. 1 last night - jury's still out. Some aspects were pretty cool, but the whole thing felt a bit disjointed which I think might be due to the editing choices, especially the cut-to-black transitions. I'm guessing that's just a byproduct of the whole thing being an introduction to the backstory. Was dope to see Kyle McLachlan in it.

Last edited: