Tablature Critiquing Thread

• Thread starter kylendm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
I really like your melodic ideas! I definitely hear the progression from that first song. That tempo change transition to the groove at 41 cool as hell. I also enjoyed the addition of the overlapping synths around measure 70 too.

Would be awesome to hear that recorded. :hbang:
Thanks! I've been wanting to record it but first I would just have to finish it. Now I have the motivation thanks to you. :D

Necropitated

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to this thread, so I wanted to share my ideas.
I just started to write for my solo-project. So here is my first idea.
The transition between the 2 riffs and the ending is just a filler.
I'm trying to write something with that progression. Riff 2 could be
too fast to play, soo yeah ^^.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63800797/Fire.gp5

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikolazjalic

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry I've been pretty inactive lately, schools been keeping me busy and I've been focusing more on producing electronic music. Here's what I've been working on recently:

New Song 100BPM.gp5

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score

YES you joined the thread, that song sounds super cool. Your riffs are sick, I checked out your stuff when you put that .zip file of tabs up in the HAARP Machine thread. :yesway:

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
That was sick man. Loved it. That riff did seem a bit nuts though haha.

Sebski

Reaction score
Fat-Elf: I quite liked your song man, I was getting some Periphery vibes up until the melodic chorusy section. That was also one of my favourite parts of the song, wish it was explored a bit more. I enejoyed those chord sequences from bar 71-79, until the cheesy chorus kinda thing came in. The rest of the song was a bit hit or miss, wasn't quite as what came before unfortunately. Still enjoyed it though man.

Just wanted some feedback on some older projects of mine. Thinking of carrying on with either.

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com - Progressive/Post-Hardcore WIP(c4c) - so far just an intro, but every time I come back to writing more for this, I never know what kind of feel the section it leads into should have.
UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com - New Progressive Post-Hardcore WIP (c4c) - something kinda odd for me, dunno if it sounds good still so I don't know whether to come back to the intro at some point later or just change it in the first place.

And here's just another proggy metal song I wrote and recorded last year using my own tuning that would be cool to get some views on now again.
UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com - Proggy Post-Hardcore WIP - using my own tuning(c4c)

concertjunkie

Reaction score
Ultra Vapor.gp5

hello, new to this thread! This tab is still a WIP (the main concept is there) with another guitarist I started jamming with not long ago, and wanted to gather any constructive criticism for this piece

thanks!

Necropitated

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I recorded that riff, so here it is. Getting the clarity in those chords is kinda hard, since I'm new to recording. I recorded the second riff in half speed and then edited it. I wanted to know how that sounds and to get it that clean I would have to practice it for hours xD.

https://soundcloud.com/dawnofresurrection/short-demo

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
Haha I just listened to that riff like right before I got on here, figured I'd check the thread and here you have recorded it. Sweet.

Anyway, the recording is ok but it could use some work. I'd suggest posting it into the recording studio area on here to get more feedback on the mix itself.

@Rustee
I'd listen to it but I can't import TG into guitar pro.

@Concertjunkie
You have some cool ideas, it starts kinda like a post hardcore kinda sound and then works into some heavier stuff. Some notes are a bit too obviously out of key in the solos. The riff that starts at bar 52 was my favorite, it had a pretty cool groove to it.

Necropitated

Reaction score
Yeah, can you recommend a beginners guide or something like that for mixing?
I think for a demo it's ok and I didn't spend too much time on it. I actually wanted to record my solo for the guitar messenger competition but I still have to practice it xD.
Anyway, you can expect more music from me soon ;-) I even found a singer (growl/shout) who'd be interested. He said he wanted to do some vocals on that demo.

AugmentedFourth

X:1 K:C [c^f]|
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Haven't been here in a while but I came up with a riff that I kind of like, it's called riff sigma.

It's a bit barebones at the minute, more of an etude than anything, but I was hoping you guys could give some feedback or even vague/general suggestions on how to expand it; or suggestions to keep it similar.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any feedback.

@Necropitated: I think the recording where you sped up the riff afterwards was pretty good! It didn't sound very artificial at all, although the mix seemed to be lacking some bass, and I would add a tad more mids to the guitars as well as roll off some of the reverb on the drums and try to make them punchier. But I would suggest, like kyle said, to take to to the actual recording studio section.

Attachments

• riffsigma.zip
    4 KB · Views: 14

concertjunkie

Reaction score
Haha I just listened to that riff like right before I got on here, figured I'd check the thread and here you have recorded it. Sweet.

Anyway, the recording is ok but it could use some work. I'd suggest posting it into the recording studio area on here to get more feedback on the mix itself.

@Rustee
I'd listen to it but I can't import TG into guitar pro.

@Concertjunkie
You have some cool ideas, it starts kinda like a post hardcore kinda sound and then works into some heavier stuff. Some notes are a bit too obviously out of key in the solos. The riff that starts at bar 52 was my favorite, it had a pretty cool groove to it.

thanks for checking it out!
yeah, the solo was written early on and was there as a placeholder until i wanted to work on it more :p but im finding the most damning part for me is bar 125 (see the updated link)

i want to figure out how to bring in this last part without rushing into it. I'm open to suggestions...

ultra v8.gpx

Ginsu

Reaction score
I wrote (or rather, am writing) this song for a solo project of mine that's supposed to span four albums, each consisting of songs conveying locations related to the four classical elements, and this will ideally be on the first one, "Soar", which as one might infer from the name is the Air album.

I really don't think it's all that good, but maybe someone else will like it. It's also unfinished, but so are all of the other songs on the album, and I wanted to share it. I included both GP5 and Midi files.

I will gladly accept constructive criticism, as I'm not particularly good at composing, despite what I might like to believe.

Attachments

• Aurora Australis.zip
    28.3 KB · Views: 23

concertjunkie

Reaction score
I wrote (or rather, am writing) this song for a solo project of mine that's supposed to span four albums, each consisting of songs conveying locations related to the four classical elements, and this will ideally be on the first one, "Soar", which as one might infer from the name is the Air album.

I really don't think it's all that good, but maybe someone else will like it. It's also unfinished, but so are all of the other songs on the album, and I wanted to share it. I included both GP5 and Midi files.

I will gladly accept constructive criticism, as I'm not particularly good at composing, despite what I might like to believe.

ginsu, thank you for sharing that
i just listened to it, and i really enjoy your layers. Guitar Pro has a tendency to make multiple layers sound too cluttery, but yeah, there were a lot of cool ideas and grooves in there that i will try to create something new with :)

ill have to listen to it again to give constructive criticism, but in any case, i enjoyed that!

Ginsu

Reaction score
ginsu, thank you for sharing that
i just listened to it, and i really enjoy your layers. Guitar Pro has a tendency to make multiple layers sound too cluttery, but yeah, there were a lot of cool ideas and grooves in there that i will try to create something new with :)

ill have to listen to it again to give constructive criticism, but in any case, i enjoyed that!

Layers are an obsession of mine. I don't think I've ever written a song with less than eight. XD Thank you, I very much appreciate you taking your time to listen.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score

I like the outro and the soft part in the middle of the song but some of the faster and technical parts sound a bit cacophonic to my ear. Try to concentrate on them in future.

Haven't been here in a while but I came up with a riff that I kind of like, it's called riff sigma.

Really like this one. Would sound awesome on real instruments.

@concertjunkie: Can't open the file. Cursed .gpx files. :(