Taking paint and clear off down to particle board questions. Help pl0x.

• Thread starter Nile
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
So I decided to practice refinishing on my old Jackson JS30 or something and turns out, its a slab of wood sandwiched between two pieces of particle board. I decided to try slowly chiseling the paint/sealer off all at once in small spots, with the results being that it only pulled a very thin layer of the particle board off with it every time.

This seems like the fastest way of going about it to me. What I'm wondering is can I sand the particle board flat so that it doesn't have any (thin) dips in the surface of it while I paint it?

Or if that doesn't work, will covering the face in a thin layer of wood putty/filler and sand that all down flat to eliminate any spots work at all?

And if that doesn't work, I guess I could glue some flat thin sheets of wood over it all to make it flat.

I know it seems like a futile endevour because its half particle board but I want to try it anyways.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Suitable

Reaction score
WTF?? Partical board in a guitar??? Ummm that's dodgy! Throw it and buy a solid timber guitar, yours isn't worth the effort of even plugging it in... sorry but partical board???

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
What I'm wondering is can I sand the particle board flat so that it doesn't have any (thin) dips in the surface of it while I paint it?

Yes - I would think you would be able to sand it even/smooth. Don't use too coarse of a grit - seems like the particle board might flake or separate if you get too aggressive. Not sure. :scratch:

Or if that doesn't work, will covering the face in a thin layer of wood putty/filler and sand that all down flat to eliminate any spots work at all?
Well ... maybe not the entire face - you don't want a sheet of putty as the face of the guitar - too unstable I would think - but you could certainly use putty to fill any small dips or even places. :)

And if that doesn't work, I guess I could glue some flat thin sheets of wood over it all to make it flat.
Yes but that veneer, depending on "how thin" would just adopt the contour of the surface below it. Might also be a real chore trying to get the edges to blend in smoothly. Probably your best bet is to get a sanding block (so that you are sanding as flat as possible) and sand uniformly across the areas you've removed more than you meant to.

I know it seems like a futile endevour because its half particle board but I want to try it anyways.
Hell yeah! Give it a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained! Good luck! :yesway:

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Ya I would have never imagined Jackson using particle board even in their cheapest model. I was expecting it to be the older cheap alder one, or in the least the newer basswood ones but nope, particle board. Yes I know its shit, but it has a thin sound that is actually really really clear so I'm thinking I could make something of that as a good beater guitar that doesn't sound like a mudslide.

Thanks for the advice Daf, I did think a few minutes after posting that the veneer thing probably would be too much work and not work at all.
The putty solution I described I meant it to be just used to fill in small gaps, so good thing that'll work.

Thanks :). My dad keeps telling me to not chip the paint off slowly, I'll screw it up and it'll turn out worse than I would think. Glad I can silence him. :squint:

Thinking of a nice tangerine flake orange.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
This sounds odd... Do you have any pictures of this particle board? I too would never have imagined Jackson, or any other reputable brand, would use something like that...

rekab

Reaction score
You're dad is right. Chipping off the paint like that will only make it harder. Just sand the paint off and you'll avoid having to fix a million little craters that won't likely look as uneven as they will once you spray some paint on.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
I can get a picture. I do know for a fact that Fender loves to cheap out on guitars and use particle board for their lowest ranges at points in time.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
You're dad is right. Chipping off the paint like that will only make it harder. Just sand the paint off and you'll avoid having to fix a million little craters that won't likely look as uneven as they will once you spray some paint on.

Thing is, that shit is THICK on there. I was thinking it would be much easier to have a few small flakes come off, like a mm or two worth deep and can just sand it all down to match and it wouldn't be much problem.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Pics.
That little tuft of particle board wasn't from pulling the paint off but digging and trying to see how far the shit went. It can be easily mended.
But there you have it, wood sandwiched between two pieces of particle board. Logic right?

Attachments

• SANY0064.jpg
    SANY0064.jpg
    980.4 KB · Views: 43
  • SANY0067.jpg
    SANY0067.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 45
  • SANY0066.jpg
    SANY0066.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 41

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^That looks disconcerting... And that paint is hella thick. :noway: I also wonder what's been going on in that neck pocket. It's all cratery.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Lol I never noticed before but those look like shallow screw holes.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Particle board can be sanded completely flat correct? Basically all I need to know.

rekab

Reaction score
Not really. Chipping away at particle board will leave you with a hell of a filling job. That's why the finish is so thick. Have to fill in the uneven spots with something. You're better off sanding a majority of that finish down and painting right over it. No reason to go down to the bare wood if you're refinishing with paint

Suitable

Reaction score
^This^ Fill the parts you have chipped, sand with 240 grit then 320 then paint 2 coats, sand lightly with 400 then paint paint sand (400) till you've built it up enough, remember light coats of paint, then start clear coating if you want...

I'm still shocked that fender would do that! But it does start to make sense with my dealings with them lately... not impressed at all...

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Will it even sound good with that much shit on it?

rekab

Reaction score
I'd sand with lower grits and work through most of the paint. Then do the paint you want to do. You don't need to get to the wood but Id try to get close. It will take some serious time and effort without a power sander but will be much easier and better looking than trying to chip it away and refill later.

Latest posts