TAM-10 VS M80M! It's time to pull the trigger!

• Thread starter Koloss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    m80m tam10
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TAM-10 or M80M?

• TAM-10

Votes: 81 59.1%
  • M80M

Votes: 56 40.9%

• Total voters

Koloss

Reaction score
Ok, so I've officially narrowed it down to these two Behemoths yet I'm still undecided on which.

TAM10 - 27' Scale, Basswood Body, Maple/Walnut Neck, DiMarzio Ionizers w/ coil tap. (Pro's IMO: Amazing array of tones Con's IMO: Is 27' long enough?)

M80M - 29.4' Scale, Ash Body, Maple/Walnut neck, Lundgren M8.
(Pro's IMO: The ultimate chug machine! Con's IMO: Very limited with only one pickup and maybe a bit too long?)

Both amazing specs IMO as I'm not a fan of actives or mahogany body guitars.

Question is, which one!? Obviously this is all very subjective BUT if you had to choose, which and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Insinfier

Reaction score
Both.

Both are intended for two different styles. (Though I would also struggle to pick just one in your position!)

The M80M's versatility issue can be solved with playing dynamics. Controlling how hard you pick and where you pick. Also shouldn't be too difficult for a skilled tech to put in a second pickup for you.

If not both, I'm gonna say M80M because of your name and picture. :agreed:

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
I'd probably go with the TAM10 for variety's sake. 27" scale is totally sufficient for what I'm doing.

I find one pickup and the fact that the Lundgren isn't really what I'd call a versatile pickup pretty limiting in what you can do with the M80M. Sure, I love Meshuggah and their style, but unless that's all you're gonna' be playing, I'd go with the TAM.

Loganator259

Reaction score
Personally I'd pick the TAM10, because I need a neck pickup, I have fairly small hands so I'd probably have trouble with the scale length, and part of the reason I traded my RGA8 was the bridge, and the M80M has the same bridge. And I'm a Tosin fanboy.
:2c:

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
You can do amazing things with just one pickup.
It also forces your creativity/makes you watch and taim your right hand dynamics.

Insinfier

Reaction score
Personally I'd pick the TAM10, because I need a neck pickup, I have fairly small hands so I'd probably have trouble with the scale length, and part of the reason I traded my RGA8 was the bridge, and the M80M has the same bridge. And I'm a Tosin fanboy.
:2c:

Greetings from Tulsa. :wavey:

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting rid of some gear so that I can get the TAM10. While the longer scale and body wood of the M90M appeal to me, the look and general tonal versatility of the TAM appeal to me much more. But, you can get any tech worth anything to install a neck pickup if you really really need it.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
A single pickup guitar will never have the variety of tones possible with two pickups, let alone an HSH config. That said, I vote M80M and have someone install whatever extra pickups you desire :lol:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
What are your priorities? I played the TAM10 at NAMM and it was really really nice. Haven't tried the M80M. If you want versatility and comfort you might want to look at the TAM10. The M80M is a raw killing machine, and it's what I would get myself, but I would never deny how nice the TAM10 is either. I'm just a sucker for long scale lengths and crazy stuff like that.

Koloss

Reaction score
I was sold on the M80M when it first came out, although I play a big variation of styles and after hearing the different tones of the Ionizers with the HSH config and the coil tap, it totally changed my mind!

The outmost coil and the middle pu combination of the TAM100 makes me require new pants, however will it sound the same on the TAM10? :scratch:

I also love the fact that the Ionizers are backed off on output.

Insinfier

Reaction score
Can always put a Lundgren in the bridge of the TAM10 for ur chugz and leave the rest of the Ionizers for your versatile cleanz?

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
now that i own the m80m i have to admit that the tone knob does so much it really almost doesn't need a neck pickup,

just for your information,

it's certainly not as diverse as the whatever the hell tosin's guitar is named, but i like the scale lengh

and... peace

jmeezle

Reaction score
These guitars are polar opposites really. I was in the same situation and being that I already have a 30" 8 string I went with the TAM10 (delivered on Friday!)

I'm finding my 30" hard to navigate so the 27" scale seems like a better fit. It also comes set up for EBEADGBE tuning which is what I play... the TAM10 seemed to be a no brainer for me!

Good luck man!