A love letter to the Ibanez Universe

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

torchlord

Reaction score
Cool video. One of my favorite guitars. I've had some get away, including a dead mint one that became a case queen for 12 years. I've owned 3 1991 models in the past and I currently own a 1990 and it's definitely staying with me as I've learned my lesson. I love my 1990 enough to hold onto it for good.

Here are my UVs, both BKs are 1991 models, PWH is 1990~
View attachment 145836
View attachment 145837
I still have my 96 Universe Green dot. It got pretty roughed up over the years, as I didn't take very good care of it. The Bridge was severely corroded and I wound up ordering another one at a hefty price of 425 dollars, ouch. I dropped while playing rockstar on the cement while slightly intoxicated pulling out of the case. I eventually sent it to Wilkinson's to have it repainted for 425 ish dollars then the next year they came out with a new version of the green dot. I was like man but it still would have cost more than fixing it. The only things I haven't fixed are the pickguard scratches and the neck plate paint is worn halfway off.

Last edited:

torchlord

Reaction score
The seven string guitar is not too novel, they've been made for hundreds and hundreds of years. Finding a market for them to be mass produced is the only novel thing to the UV 7 string guitars. I understand they are iconic and have unique specs otherwise, those are decent reasons to prefer and/or collect them. Putting them on a pedestal otherwise is a bit romantic and sensational I think. In my eyes they're just another basswood body with a maple neck that people worship for reasons they don't fully comprehend or wish to acknowledge the subjective origins of. "It was the first" isn't really a reason to say it's the best or write it a love letter, maybe to Ibanez for taking a small chance on such a slight and otherwise unremarkable deviation from their absolute norm for an artist with diamond hands. Outside of this exact forum the UV fan club is absolutely brimming with people who praise it simple because of Vai. It's a RG with different inlays to me, and I used to hold them in exceptional regard before I actually played one. I don't really have strong opinions about it, other than the complete confusion about how a lot of people love them.

I'm not watching another fucking YT video about guitar, my recommendation algorithm is fucked because of this shit. If someone wants to beat me over the head with facts from the video and their own opinions on them I'm all ears. If I wanted to spend 10+ minutes watching one person's opinion I'd shove my head up my ass and bump into things.
I didn't get my Universe Green Dot because of Via, I got it because one of Korn's guitarist played one.

I suggest forcing the issue with regards to YouTube recommendations by going directly to the creator's YouTube page on your PC and then adding or queuing up the shows you want to watch by hovering over the icon in the top left corner (Just under the "Watch Later" Icon) of the HTML player. You can also do this if you have a Roku device and connect to it (your TV Roku/ Chrome stick). Once you queue up all the shows you want to see it will play them one right after the other.

torchlord

Reaction score
Thanks and cheers.

The only negative thing I have ever had to say about the OG Universe is the cosmo chrome hardware pitting and eroding with time. I also think the paint chips very easily as well as my other Ibanez guitars, although my 2 Indo made 8-strings (RG8WH and SIR28FD) which are the only Indo made guitars I own, the paint seems to hold better. Not sure why this is but even though chips, cracks and dings may give the guitar some character, most people who covet these guitars want them in mint condition. I had one like that as I said previously but I never played it. So you win some and you lose some. :lol:
I had the same issue with my bridge, corrosion, had to buy a new one. I was considering trying to redo the bridge Cosmo Black coating but couldn't figure out how to remove the knife edge of the bridge. Now I wipe it off after every use with a guitar rag and blow it off with my Data Vac Electric Duster every now and then.

Marked Man

Reaction score
My two prefered are the orginal UV7BK and the UV7 Halloween
Nailbombs are definitely my taste for 80's Heavy Metal,Blaze are great but a millimeter under a Nailbomb
Was told about a lot of parameters by Ben French at BKP, I love that guy !
I also acquirred some Rebel Yell, Warpig8 , the Mule, and ever come back to the Nailbomb

Nailbombs are my favorite 6 string pickups for heavy stuff, so I imagine they must kill it in 7. 💥

Marked Man

Reaction score
I didn't get my Universe Green Dot because of Via, I got it because one of Korn's guitarist played one.

I suggest forcing the issue with regards to YouTube recommendations by going directly to the creator's YouTube page on your PC and then adding or queuing up the shows you want to watch by hovering over the icon in the top left corner (Just under the "Watch Later" Icon) of the HTML player. You can also do this if you have a Roku device and connect to it (your TV Roku/ Chrome stick). Once you queue up all the shows you want to see it will play them one right after the other.

I got my Universe in part because of Vai, but my primary influence by far for using it was Petrucci starting with Awake, which came out just in time to keep me well fed during the desolate Grunge years. :ugh:

77zark77

Reaction score
It's one of the things I like, those guitars are simple and fantastic, the exterior appearance has no importance
One or ten dents aren't a problem
The only thing that concerns me is the back of the neck, it has to be flawless

They're all different with a common mojo (the word when you can't really explain), my kind of woman guitar :cheers:

Marked Man

Reaction score
Under the orders of General @odibrom :

An O.G UV7 PWH or even an ultra rare JEM 7V7 is on my bucket list. :wub3:

I have a bit of a major fetish for White shred guitars. If I do get the UV7 PWH, I'll do something fun with the pickups (as long as they are matching white, of course).

The Evo7 has a chainsaw edge that I like and goes well with the Air Norton 7. I remember well when the only choice for 7s was the original Blaze IIs, which I like, but there is are other worlds to explore now.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
It’s not the dents but the layer of grime and dust that I can’t unsee. Give those things a good cleaning and fretboard oil!
It's one of the things I like, those guitars are simple and fantastic, the exterior appearance has no importance
One or ten dents aren't a problem
The only thing that concerns me is the back of the neck, it has to be flawless

They're all different with a common mojo (the word when you can't really explain), my kind of woman guitar :cheers:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
On the topic of quality of old Universes, my friend bought a GR new back in the day that had so much neck gap that he had to return it to Ibanez. Eventually they sent him a new body that was a different shade of green that's much closer to LNG that actually fit the neck.

yan12

Reaction score
I will be in the great minority here. I don't think the Universe was anything special in the build department. It was the first mass produced 7 string and the original always has a following. That's it.

I liked the 7620 better. Especially the one-piece neck models before 2000.

The best Universe I have owned was a 2011-2013 era when they went back to the lo-pro and added the 5pc neck. Mine apparently came from a Vai owned friend/source, and that Universe was the most solid feeling Ibanez I have ever owned. It was fastly superior to any of the previous Uni's I had go through my hands. I acquired a Jem 7v7 shortly thereafter, and my Universe killed that guitar in terms of build. I sold both in a package deal to a collector in Vegas and don't miss either of them. And I only purchased the 7v7 because I correctly guessed it would be a money maker.

Schecter custom shop 7 strings and Esp Japan 7 strings have been better built than any Jcustom I have owned, but the Jcustom is one fine guitar. These are merely my hands on opinions of guitars I have personally owned. No slight to any Ibby fan at all, Ibanez makes a fine guitar, especially at the upper end. I just don't find them branching out much and living off ideas created in the mid to late 80's. And in 6 string versions of anything, I find Ibby necks way to thin for my now arthritic hands.

Caleb

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
full

Stiman

Reaction score
just don't find them branching out much and living off ideas created in the mid to late 80's.

Seems to be the opposite, they are branching out too much and refusing to keep building all the really cool guitars they used to built and discontinued 5 min later.

Edit:
...or do both

Latest posts