[Tech] How to Program Drums

SHRC7

Reaction score
I know this guide works for cubase but does it also work for the program that comes with the line 6 ux1?

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Anyone know about programming drums in Reaper? I don't have Superior 2.0 yet but I plan on getting it soon with the DKFH, so I figured I would start asking questions now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
does anyone know how i can do this same format of programming (click on time grid to place hits for each kit piece) in Pro Tools.

I just got Superior 2 and am running Pro Tools 7.4 LE on OS 10.5.8

thanks

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
does anyone know how i can do this same format of programming (click on time grid to place hits for each kit piece) in Pro Tools.

I just got Superior 2 and am running Pro Tools 7.4 LE on OS 10.5.8

thanks

Same here. I just got the program but would love a headstart from my fellow SS members:hbang:

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Awesome thread!

I have EZDrummer and SD 2.0 but at this point I find SD2.0 too difficult still, I can only use it if I use the presets that come with it. Until I learn how to use it and process a drumkit to make it sound the way I want it to, EZDrummer is a good alternative.

black_anther

Reaction score
I know this guide works for cubase but does it also work for the program that comes with the line 6 ux1?

Yes it most certainly does, I used it with Ableton first and then switched to Cubase.

Has anybody worked out how to do cymbal chokes using this method?

The only way I've managed to do it in my recordings is to put the cymbals on a separate audio track and then delete the section of the wave by inserting a silence after the cymbal hit.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yes it most certainly does, I used it with Ableton first and then switched to Cubase.

Has anybody worked out how to do cymbal chokes using this method?

The only way I've managed to do it in my recordings is to put the cymbals on a separate audio track and then delete the section of the wave by inserting a silence after the cymbal hit.

What drums are you using? If cymbal chokes are available, they are usually a different 'drum' (different MIDI key) e.g 55 = splash 56 = splash choke (this is not true)

zeal0us

InstruMentalHead
Reaction score
What drums are you using? If cymbal chokes are available, they are usually a different 'drum' (different MIDI key) e.g 55 = splash 56 = splash choke (this is not true)

Yup.

As far as I understand, to encompass all possible hits you need to (somehow) assign them via a new drum map.

Does anyone know how to change the grid beat divisions for different time signatures? I have a part in 6/4, but if I change the time sig. on the transport bar, the grid divisions still remain 4 per beat. I need 6 divisions per beat.

Is the only way to do this by turning snap off and manually inserting every note approximately?

EDIT: I did it manually anyway... bleh :cond:

black_anther

Reaction score
I pre-program all my drum loops in Guitar Pro before I bring them into Cubase. When I drop the midi track in all the time signature and tempo changes are automatically picked up for me.

Thanks for that EtherealEntity, that's helped me a lot. It's confusing cos they weren't labelled correctly in the default drum map (or whatever it's called). I didn't think there'd be an separate note for them because when I program them in guitar pro all I do is put two notes on the cymbal together but with the second one's dynamic set to dead quiet (ppp button). I think the problem is in Cubase or EZDrummer is that it doesn't cancel the previous cymbal hit when two are played in a row. That make sense?

FMG

Reaction score
I've got a question:

Once I've done all the stuff listed in the tutorial and I have a MIDI drum track playing through EZDrummer, how can I apply compressor/other Cubase plug-ins to individual drums?

What I've been doing is going to the EZDrummer mixer, and selecting output as 'multi-track'. This creates a separate track for each drum sound, to which I can add EQ. However, in order to use plug-ins like this one free compressor I downloaded, you have to select an actual audio track, and each individual drum track doesn't actually have any audio data on it, so I can't use the compressor. Any tips?

I'm using this free VST compressor:

Kjaerhus Audio - Professional Audio Plug-ins

I really don't want to have to export individual drums as WAVs and import them back into Cubase just for the sake of Compression :(

I'd like to bring this up again, I've heard tons og guys on this forum discussing how they EQ'd and compressed their snare, but no one has addressed how to separate each drum onto a separate track. HELP!

black_anther

Reaction score
The way I do it is using the mixer on the EZDrummer display, there you can select the track you want to put each drum mic on.

If you look at the image below, where it says Trk 1 on the Output line, you can click these and select different tracks.
EZdrummer_mixer_window.gif

Once that's done (not sure if this is the best way mind), I do an audio mixdown per drum track, if you use this screenshot as a reference (sorry I don't have cubase where I am right now so had to make the best out of Google Images). Where you have the VST Instrument Channels menu you can select the track you want to export. I export it to a WAV and then import as a new audio track and do all my eqing etc on that.
flcubsxkb18c.jpg

Mn3mic

Reaction score
Too bad I was not aware of this tutorial earlier, I had to google most of this stuff one by one...

Btw, can anyone explain to me when to use a rim tom and when to use a normal tom.
I use both SSD and AD but I can't figure out what to do with these two.

I mean, when I make a normal tom fill it sounds good but not as aggressive as a rim tom fill, but after a certain speed of the fill it sounds way to "unreal"...

I like the way the toms sound on for ex. Acacia Strains Woodworm, they all sound to me like rim toms, not regular toms (like Rareform by After The Burial).

Anyone have an idea?

lastninja

Reaction score
I would recommend a) use a free program Stomper Hyperion to make some insane drum samples

b) find or take samples of metal drums (there are actually commercially available sound packs just for metal drums)

c) use an easy program to start like fruity loops, or way better, Ableton live

ableton is a great program for beginners and very quick results. Great for tempo shifts too.