[Tech] HOW TO: The reversible 18v mod!

mmotorsport

Reaction score
I just did this mod on my new ec-1000 with dual 81's. I love what it did for the bridge pickup but the neck pickup has seemed to loose all of its jazzy tone. I can barely tell the difference when i switch between the two. any one ever had this happen

mmotorsport

Reaction score
the models now do come with 81/60...........the earlier ones came with dual 81's

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
it should be possible to run your bridge pup off of 18v and then wire your neck pup to run off of 9v. i wouldnt dare try to make a diagram for yall, considerin i dont have the right crayons lol

but it should be possible

Neil

Reaction score
Hey can someone confirm whether this wiring diagram will work.

Its using a push pull pot (DPDT switch) in the middle of the diagram, the advantage of which in 9V the batteries drain equally.

EMGWiring2.jpg

Cheers

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Like this:

attachment.php

I tried this the other day, and 9v battery clips are not wide enough to make the connection between the two batteries placed side-by-side in this fashion. At least not Duracells. I don't know if the dimensions of other 9v batteries may vary a bit, but the terminals were too far apart to connect them like this. I suspect that's partly by design.

Prostheta

Central Scrutiniser
Reaction score
+1 on the tutorial and the variations. I think that your mileage will vary depending on what you're looking for....the compression in a 9v circuit can be useful just as much as higher dynamic range. My 81/81 ESP Explorer clone build sounds undefined and far too compressed in the bridge position at the moment, so i'm going to see how a tapped 18v bridge and 9v neck compare to a 18v for both versus the current 9v.

I like to roll the tone off for the neck position when soloing, so compression lends itself nicely to that pickup position. I think I know what the result will be, so let's see how it is in practice....

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
Just did this exact thing to my Interceptor with 707s, and I love it. Really opened up the pickups. It kept and enhanced the stuff I liked about EMGs but added the headroom and open sound of passives.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Just made my harness, just need to wait until practice to try it on my Intrepid

8string

Grande puta de gear!
Contributor
Reaction score
Wonder if this mod will work on my ibanez sdgr 5-string.... active pups, but i don't have any details about them

Prostheta

Central Scrutiniser
Reaction score
Difficult to say. Ibanez pickups are more likely to be an active circuit rather than being active pickups, despite the distinction being academic in most cases.

EMG actives have the preamp onboard the pickup potted into the epoxy, and these can usually run on 27v supplies (excessive!) but the specific circuit Ibanez use on your bass might not be too happy with higher supply voltages and might fail in the long term. It'll void your warranty for sure!

Find out more about it first....!

8string

Grande puta de gear!
Contributor
Reaction score
warranty is long gone anyway, and i've been thinking about getting emg's anyway. I just put in the order:hbang:

Prostheta

Central Scrutiniser
Reaction score
PM me the details of the bass model, what you want for them and i'll have a look at it all. I might be building another bass soon, or I might be GASing :-\
TIA

Fred

Reaction score
Did this a while back to my Kramer as a temporary measure before I install some other pickups in it (got a Tonezone for the bridge position and I'm going to reconnect the hot rails pups in middle and neck positions to see what they sound like), and it's insanely easy and totally worthwhile. I found the effects far more noticeable with clean tones than distorted ones, perhaps unsurprisingly, but it's worth it for that alone!

Fzau

Unleash the proggies
Reaction score
Here we go, I opened up my Loomis' control cavity since the battery was dying and I'd like to do the 18V mod :scream:

Problem is I have no idea of what I need(/to do)..
There is not enough room in the battery compartment so I guess I have to put both batteries in the control cavity, right?
If so, do I just cut the original clip in the battery compartment and solder a new one on in the control cavity?
Or can I leave one battery in the battery compartment and one in the control cavity?

Also, is it necessary to tape the batteries with copper tape?
And could I do this over the electronics in the cavity as well or will it not change anything?

I'm a retard when it comes to electronics, so an additional detailed sketch would be nice :lol:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yes, you can put one battery in the control cavity and leave the other in the battery compartment.

No, you don't wrap the batteries in copper tape. My illustration shows Duracell batteries.

If you're a retard when it comes to electronics, i would suggest taking your guitar to someone less retarded. :)

Fzau

Unleash the proggies
Reaction score
Yes, you can put one battery in the control cavity and leave the other in the battery compartment.

No, you don't wrap the batteries in copper tape. My illustration shows Duracell batteries.

If you're a retard when it comes to electronics, i would suggest taking your guitar to someone less retarded. :)

I will :D
Thanks a lot man :yesway:

Slide

Reaction score
I did the 9V parallel / 18V series mod to my Hellraiser C-7 a while back. Before that that I just had 18V. I used a mini toggle switch, drilled a hole for it just next to the bridge volume (so that the switch sits right above the knob where my hand usually doesn't touch it). This was just what I needed - more compression on tight riffing with 9V, but also more dynamics with open chords with 18V etc. Well, you get the picture.

Latest posts